Volunteers For Peace Header Image Volunteers For Peace Header Image

Discover Haiti, Rediscover Yourself

Vocational School in Duchity

This trip was amazing and Volunteers for Peace was an excellent organization to go through for my first international volunteer experience. Living and working with such amazing people, from our hosts to other volunteers, the project was enlightening and exciting and allowed all of us outsiders a chance to be welcomed into a vibrant, warm culture.

Vocational School construction

My time spent in Haiti has forever changed my perception of what's important in life. Volunteers for Peace, VFP, allowed me to experience life in a society where things we take for granted are not readily available and are scrounged for daily. Mere existence in Duchity, Haiti involves foraging for food, hunting for wood or charcoal to cook with, collecting water at a community water source, and cleaning clothes in an overused creek. I was overwhelmed with the opportunity to witness and live (if only for a short time) the joy and rhythm of Haitian life. Immediately upon my arrival, I found myself immersed in Haitian culture; for this I am forever grateful. I was able to witness the dangers of idleness and feel the uncertainty of tomorrow that brews in the youth of Duchity. The residents of Haiti lack opportunities to better their situation, but VFP has joined forces with a local energetic resident to help establish an adult vocational school to empower the Duchity residents with trade-skills that can be used to earn income and better lives. Volunteers for Peace has a strong commitment to empowering local residents. They understand that meaningful help for a person, group, community, or nation must come from within that person, group, or nation. They embrace this concept fully. Their affiliation in Duchity, Haiti is helping to assure residents learn to help themselves. I was honored to have been a part of their exceptional program.

Teaching English in Desab, Haiti

My experience in Desab, Haiti was unforgettable. The work that we did was really effective and the interactions with the community were meaningful and productive. VFP projects are a great way to get an authentic experience while learning a lot about the people you are working with and the place where you are staying. Teaching English was so rewarding and through that work we were able to gain the trust and respect in the community that we needed to accomplish other things. If you have any interest in traveling to Haiti, I suggest going with Volunteers For Peace.

Summer School Counselor - Staff

Excellent chance to develop skills working on a variety of school related activities with children in a summer school program, such as teaching English and playing educational games. We had several opportunities to explore the local area outside of our daytime counseling duties. Kids were terrific. Locals were very helpful and made us feel very welcome. Also got involved in a 3 day building project at the end of my stay to contribute to the building of a new school in the Duchity area.

Haiti abroad

I had a fantastic time with VFP in Duchity and Port au Prince. I had amazing community experiences that didn't involve technology, and it changed my idea of what "fun" and "friendship" look like. I also felt like I made a difference in the village because I remember I taught the school I was at a a song and they would sing it all the time, and I got pretty close with a lot of the kids. It was a great experience

Volunteers for Peace, Haiti, Clean Water for LaVallee

Best program for real service that leaves a legacy and continues after you leave. Absolutely designed with both participants and residents in mind, working together. Meg Brook is fantastic and makes sure you are safe and fully integrated into the host culture as a gracious and grateful guest.

Summer Day Camp in Port-Au-Prince, Haiti

I traveled to Port-Au-Prince, Haiti in July of 2013 to assist Haitian leaders in running a summer day camp for kids. The densely populated city offers no opportunity for kids during the summer, so hosting the day camp gave the kids something to do while allowing them to interact with people of other cultures. I was challenged by the language barrier. I do not speak Creole, although I learned a few conversational phrases by the end of my trip. Connecting with the kids without a common language became an enormous challenge, but we did it! Through games and activities, I played with the kids each day and created friendships that will impact me for the rest of my life. I lived comfortably at the Tchaka Inn, run by a local Haitian family that works directly with VFP. I felt like I became part of the family by the end of my project. I loved volunteering in Haiti and I would recommend a trip through VFP to anyone interested in challenging themselves through service to help others. I look forward to traveling back to Haiti someday and I hope to do another VFP project in the future!

My Dream Continues ...

this was my second trip to Haiti. Because of this trip that I made with the VFP, ,I will definitely return to Haiti. If I had had a bad experience, I probably would not have returned. I am so happy I went. The first thing I noticed even before leaving was that the AFP was organized and helpful and supportive. There was nothing I wondered about before leaving for Haiti. All of my questions and concerns were taken care of before my departure. accommodations a were better than I expected. The food was phenomenal. I cannot tell you how many different ways I ate race, beans, and outstanding sauces. The mangos we're out of this world.everyone was so friendly. We had 8 people in our group from the United States, Canada, and a Australia. We were a super group. Everyone work together, help each other, and supported each other. the culture we lived in was absorbed daily through our skin. Every minute we encountered new culture. Some easy to deal with. Some more difficult to deal with. I got to teach French during the week we were there. Now that was a cultural experience. Teaching is not the same as in the United States. And that doesn't mean that the Haitian way is less. It is just different. The children we lived with in Desab were smiling and happy and wanting to spend time with us. They were so cute and so happy. It reminded me of where we needed to be. I was very sad to leave Haiti. Next time I will know more Creole. I think that knowing a little bit of their language is important. People are right. Haiti changes people from the inside out.