A volunteer holding a baby A volunteer holding a baby

Volunteer Teaching English Program | Nepal

Nepal - The magical land of Himalayas!!

I have had Nepal in my list for a very long time. I decided to check this off by experiencing Nepal by joining a volunteering program in this beautiful country. I went to Nepal through Volunteering Solutions which had placed me a school in Kathmandu Valley.

Volunteering Experience :
Teaching program in Nepal was spectacular. Every morning after breakfast, me and couple of other volunteers would go to the school. I had been placed in a pre primary class of 20 children with a school teacher. We taught them rhymes, jingles. I was amazed by seeing how helpful the teacher and school staff was. They really made efforts to educate everyone. One of a new entrant in my class was a little girl whose parents both are low income laborers. The school staff made sure that every one attended the classes and not skip the lessons. It was an enriching experience to work with the wonderful people and ever smiling children!!

Nepal - The Country!
Surrounded amidst the Himalayan lies Kathmandu which is heaven! Not a single moment is dull there. The city is rich in heritage and have the warmest people I have ever met. During the evenings, I was free to explore the city. Taken the utmost advantage of my free time, I explored the city. I personally loved Thamel for its vibrant cafes, shops. Do visit the Monkey Temple to get the breathtaking city view!
I also explored Pokhara in the weekend. For mountain lovers, this place is heaven! The beautiful annapurna peaks, dramatically shaped ranges on one side and the green lake on the other makes this place stand out! Cafes and food is another reason to try out this weekend getaway.

Food
Food was great! Nepal food is bland with less spices. Momos, sukuti are my personal favorites and must try!

Experience of a lifetime, in a great country!

After much searching and having a look at some past videos, I decided to go to Nepal. This was my first volunteering trip abroad and it completely changed my life! I started my program in Kathmandu along with 9 other volunteers from around the world. Uma gave us a great orientation and then helped us with tips and suggestions throughout the trip. The home was clean and comfortable and located 10-15 minutes from Thamel, the happening area in city. Meals that Shasi cooked at the home were simple but amazing Nepali food. I worked at Sirus school and spend 3 weeks teaching kids in class 5. It was a great experience and just to able to see and feel the change you can make in a short time was wonderful. It was also pretty hear warming to see the country battling with the recent earthquake, but the people were all happy and you could see smiles all around, despite the hardships. Truly a great experience and I would really recommend it to anyone!

WYSE Work Abroad