101-A, SuperMart II DLF Phase IV Gurgaon, Delhi NCR 122002 India
Thailand: Chiang Mai
5-8 weeks, 9-12 weeks
Typical Duration of Program
Throughout the year
Volunteer Teaching Monks in Chiang Mai - Thailand Volunteers joining this program teach novice Buddhist monks, ranging in age from 12-18, at five different monastery schools in the beautiful city of Chiang Mai. Objectives of the schools consist of "enhancing the knowledge of monks and novices in both religious and secular subjects" and "providing secondary education for boys who are unable to afford such opportunities elsewhere." All the students at four of the schools are novice monks and many, but not all, of the faculty and administration are Buddhist monks. One of the schools has both novice monk students and non-monk students (however the majority are monks) separated by classroom. Volunteers assist the Thai faculty with English (and optionally in art) education roughly 15-20 hours a week (Monday - Friday).
You will have the choice of either leading your own class or assisting a Thai teacher in his or her daily lessons. Your placement is completely dependent upon your level of comfort within the classroom. Depending upon your educational background, you may also want to teach art or help in other subject areas and activities that may be occurring at the school during you service. It is important to the school administration that volunteers aid in English education at the school, but also that volunteers receive a rich experience about Thailand, Thai culture and Buddhism during their service. For this reason, be prepared to learn as much as you teach. Also, know that Thai Buddhist monks aren't known for being in a hurry. Therefore, the atmosphere at the temple schools is rather relaxed.
Work with grassroots local community programs and a very affordable price!
Volunteers must be 18 years or older at the beginning of the program. Volunteers need to have an open mind and flexible attitude for working in a new and different environment. Volunteers should be proficient in written and spoken English.
Starting 200 only!
* Orientation: A one week orientation will be provided by our staff for LT camp participants. We cover areas like, culture, greetings, locations, transportation etc. Each participant will be provided with a local Map of the city.
* Lodging: Almost all placements have residential accommodation arrangements, however if that is not available volunteers will be staying with a local welcoming and educated family or in.
* Food: 3 Thai meals will be provided in this project.
* Insurance: All participants are covered for full comprehensive travel and medical insurance for their time of stay in our project. Please find details here.
* In-country support: 24 hours support provided by our local staff.
* Pre-departure information: After we receive full and final payment all participants are provided by a pre-departure information booklet by email which will have all vital information about your program.
18 - 50
Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Couples and Individuals.
Independently or in Groups
Independently or in Groups
Our Mission is to provide Meaningful and fully researched volunteer programs abroad. Benefit local communities by providing volunteer support. To strengthen the travel experience by providing cross cultural experiences to our volunteers. Use the funds and develop the communities and people we work with.
Very well organized. Jenny helped me all the time to with projects for the kids. Always answered any questions i had. Working with kids was very rewarding, overall the volunteer project was an awes...More
Did you participate on a program with Volunteering Solutions?
Share your thoughts!