A volunteer holding a baby A volunteer holding a baby

India Adventure Tour & Summer Volunteering 2017

The Indian Files | Arlene Angeline | Summer 2016

My journey began on Friday, August 5th 2016. The volunteer coordinators were all so hospitable. They gave us a tour of the M. Block Market to ensure we retrieved the essential items we requested for a comfortable stay in New Delhi, India such as, a cell phone data and service plan, snacks, culturally appropriate wear, etc. We spent time touring many different places in New Delhi, India such as, the Lotus Temple, India Gate, Humayun’s Tomb, to Qutab Minar. After becoming acquainted with the area, we began our volunteer experience. I volunteered with ‘street children’ at Kamal Loachan Society. The volunteers an I were welcomed with lays, blessed with bracelets, and milk tea. I spent my time teaching English, mathematics, playing, singing, dancing, and learning from the children themselves, as they taught me even more than I could ever teach them. After volunteering, we would head off to some more tourist activities such as, visiting the Akshardham Temple and watching their magnificent water show. After spending time with the children for a week and having the honor of celebrating India’s Independence Day with them, the volunteer travel group an I headed to Palampur, India. During our stay in Palampur, India, all the volunteers worked to paint educational items along school walls. Once our paintings were completed, we headed off to trek the Himalaya Mountains, in particular, the Triund peak, which has an elevation of 9,325 feet. After our trek down, we headed to the Taj Mahal and then Agra Fort. We ended our last day by visiting the City Palace, an Elephant Village, and a Monkey Temple. My journey may have ended on Saturday, August 27th 2016, but the lives I encountered touched me for a lifetime. I saw, I witnessed, and I experienced so much while on this trip, but my most precious memories are with the children at Kamal Loachan Society for their hearts are so pure, full of joy, love, laughter, compassion, and generosity. I took a 7,386 mile journey from Ann Arbor, Michigan to New Delhi, India to learn, grow and experience a world unfamiliar to me, only to be impacted so immensely by the children I encouraged. They have such little, but gave so much, and for this I am forever grateful and blessed for this experience.

Volunteering Solutions Review - Summer Programe India 2015

When I look back and think about my volunteering weeks in India, a lot of memories come to my mind.
Before leaving home, I was really nervous: would everything be as I had expected? Would I feel overwhelmed? And what about the cultural shock?

Okay, in the first place, the cultural shock happened, of course, but it wasn't necessary bad, actually I remember it as something good, realising how different were things here and trying to learn as much as I could from this new culture.

My time volunteering with the street and slums children was unforgettable, the kids were always with a smile in their faces and with a contagious energy I think it's an experience that everyone that is interested should do, dont be afraid because you wont regret it.
The programme was well organized, and I think it was the perfect balance between volunteering and tourism: we had the chance to see a lot of places in north India while doing enough volunteer work so we could see and feel the "real India".

In conclusion, I would recommend this programme to everyone.

Volunteering Solutions Review-India

Wow. India is a place that cannot be described in words or photographs. It is a place that is not able to be compared to anywhere else in the world. My time spent in India opened my eyes to so many new experiences, and changed my outlook on my own every day life. The street children that you get to work with are so happy and loving. You got to be right there in the slums, where they live in unimaginable situations. That was a highlight of the trip for me, being able to experience the realness of these people's lives and not just get the typical tourist experience. However, that is another aspect I loved about this trip! We were able to go around to many cities and see many famous sites. Everywhere we went I felt very safe. Our living situations were clean and well kept. I made friends with people from all around the world. Go volunteer in India, it is the experience of a lifetime!

WYSE Work Abroad