Volunteering Solutions Header Image Volunteering Solutions Header Image

ChildCare and Orphanage Programs in Cape Town | South Africa

Volunteering in Cape Town

I stayed a total of 7 weeks in Cape Town. There I lived in a volunteer house with approximately 15 other volunteers from all over the world. I shared a room with 4 other girls. The house was located in the sea point area which was a very good location because the promenade, W&A Waterfront and many other nice places were very close. The first half of my time I worked at St. Paul's Primary School in Bo Kaap. They told me that I can choose in which class I want to be so I decided to take the Grade R's. My tasks were: helping the teacher to prepare stuff for the lessons, reading stories to the children, singing songs with the children, playing games, puzzles, teaching the children new finger games, correct and grade the tests, copying worksheets etc.. I really enjoyed working there because the colleagues and also the children were very nice and I felt were welcome there. After 3 weeks of working there I moved to a creche in the township ''Imizamo Yethu'' in Hout Bay. There I switched between the baby-class and the 2-3 year old children. In the morning we always sang songs together with the children, we drew with the kids and played with them. Around lunch time the kids got something to eat and afterwards they had a nap. The kids there were very friendly and lovely as well and I enjoyed working there!

In my leisure I did a lot of trips with the other volunteers from the hostel. We saw all the staff like Cape of Good Hope, Cape Point, Boulders Beach, Table Mountain, Lions Head, did a wine tasting, went Shark Cage Diving and Skydiving as well. We also did a Safari-tour and when the weather was very good we went to Camps Bay or Clifton Beach and just relaxed and enjoyed the weather.

Volunteering Solutions gave me memories that will last me a lifetime!

It had always been on my bucket list to volunteer in South Africa, so one day I googled 'volunteer programs' and VS was the first link I stumbled upon. I immediately fell in love with the pictures, programs, tour opportunities, and although I was excited and nervous all at the same time, I applied to volunteer in Cape Town, South Africa! It was the best decision I've made in a long time. Not only were the brochures and profile extremely helpful in preparing me for my travels, but the online staff was very friendly and always there when you needed them!
I applied for the Two Week - Social Welfare Project where I volunteered to help children in Child Care Centers ages 6 months - 7 years old. For my accommodation, I chose to stay in a Volunteer House where you can live with up to 30 other volunteers. It was the best experience! Everyone in the house was from all over the world, there to make a difference. I made a new family of friends that couldn't have been more welcoming to every new volunteer that stepped in the house! The house was always kept clean and provided with enough food and materials. The staff that worked with the house were absolutely amazing. If we ever had any questions, desires to take a taxi, travel, do a tour, or a fun excursion, the house staff was there to assist you 24/7 and would make sure that you are always safe, getting the best quality assistance, and having fun.
Volunteering was an incredible experience. These were the most humble and heartwarming children I have ever worked with! The Child Care Center that I volunteered at was from 8:30AM - 12:30PM. This gave me enough time to get to know the kids and still left me plenty of time to travel Cape Town after volunteering! The teachers were very friendly. We would start each morning by assisting them with serving the children breakfast, reading a story, and teaching different topics such as the alphabet, numbers, etc. They always made sure we were happy with our volunteering and that we were satisfied with the children and school.
One thing I tried to do as much as possible within my two weeks of volunteering was TRAVEL! I tried to take advantage of my days by doing a different activity every day like hiking Table Mountain, going skydiving, shopping the City Centre, etc. Then once the weekend came along I would join fun 2 day weekend tours! I was able to do a two day safari that gave me the awesome experience of walking with lions, feeding elephants, and going on a real safari. For my next weekend trip I chose to do the 2 day Wineland tour where we traveled to the tip of South Africa, went shark cage diving, walked through surreal caves, and enjoyed one of the many wineries Cape Town has to offer!
There is so much to do in Cape Town, so make sure you set aside time to do it! I highly recommend this program to anyone of any age who is looking to make a difference, travel, and enjoy life.

Childcare And Social Welfare Work Experience in Cape Town, South Africa

I volunteered for childcare and social welfare and the pre-departure booklet was the amazing source of information about South Africa and the project.

I really loved my project and the children were so lovely. It was a good experience to help them with their exercises and playing with them. It made me realize how a single help can change their life.

The accommodation was next to the sea in cape town. One can enjoy local riding in mini buses and taxis to the city center, Camps Bay, the Waterfront. The meals were good as expected.

I had the chance to see so many things in and around Capetown like the V&A Waterfront, the Stadium, Robben Island, Longstreet, the Companies Gardens, the Signal Hill, Lions Head, Table Mountain, the most southern tip of Africa, the Cape of Good Hope and so on.

WYSE Work Abroad