The Love Company Header Image The Love Company Header Image

Volunteer in Nepal with the Love Company

My first time volunteering abroad

I have been a volunteer back at my home country during my free time but it was never an easy task to decide whether to be an international volunteer, for I did not know what to expect, particularly when I was to be in a foreign land. Yet, the whole idea of volunteering abroad was so enticing that I thought that it would be a golden chance for me to step out of my comfort zone and to give back to the wider society. Then, I started the process including researching available volunteering opportunities overseas and communicating with the relevant contact of the organisation. Having reviewed fellow volunteers' experiences, I signed up for an orphanage care and education program in Nepal with Volunteers Without Borders.

Seven hours of road trip from Kathmandu to Pokhara, the destination of my volunteer work, was tiring but worthwhile with the scenic view of Himalayas range along the journey. I was greeted by Krishna as soon as I arrived in Pokhara. Krishna has been an active volunteer ever since he graduated from school. Unsurprisingly, he was the founder of the orphanage in which I would be helping in. The orphanage was called "The Love Company". Very much to its name, the orphanage provided not only shelter and foods for the children but also education and, most importantly, a "home" for them. I realised that "living in abundance" had always been taken for granted by many of us coming from a privileged background. However, the children could barely make ends meet, much less abundance. Hence, the existence of this orphanage was certainly a great comfort for the kids.

There were a total of 12 children in the orphanage. It was a challenge initially for me to bond with them given the language barrier and the difference in personality among the kids. But it did not take me long to get to know them and mingle with them. On a daily basis, I had a set routine which was to send the little kids to the school, to fetch them back after school, and to help them with their homework. As there was also another female volunteer, we split among ourselves in terms of the teaching responsibility. She took care of the girls while I handled the boys' homework. It really struck me of how talented the kids were despite their lack of access to various learning opportunities. An example was Rahul who could draw amazingly well even though he had never learnt drawings. His great observance and meticulousness were beyond my imagination.

Beyond helping out in the orphanage, I did have a few hours of free time every day that allowed me to explore the city. I rented a boat and toured around Phewa lake in order to escape from the hustle and bustle of the city while enjoying the breathtaking view of the mountains. Having said that, I could still hear the indistinct honking of the cars on the road! I thought it would be lovely to view the city and the Himalayas range from a higher spot. Thus, I decided to go for a sunrise viewing from Sarangkot and had to withstand the chilly weather before dawn was breaking. Eventually, my determination paid off when I saw the amazing views despite the foggy weather.

My time in Nepal was barely a week but the life experience I have gathered was far-reaching. The down-to-earth and positive attitude displayed by Krishna, the children, fellow volunteer, and the locals have taught me to see things, or perhaps life, from a different perspective. Sometimes, all we need to do is to slow down the pace of our lives and feel the breathing. This is what you need to live to the fullest, regardless of your social status.

Amazing first volunteering experience

I've had an amazing time volunteering in Nepal.
I found The Love Company by just searching on Google. I e-mailed with Krishna (he responds very fast!) and before I knew it, everything was organised! I flew to Kathmandu and was picked up and brought to my hotel. Next day I took the taxi & went with the bus to Pokhara, where Krishna was waiting for me. From the moment I landed to the moment I met Krishna, everything was perfectly organised & I didn't have to do anything. Krishna is a wonderful man who welcomes you with open arms (literally!). He made me feel very welcome & like I had a friend here immediatly.
From that day onwards I had breakfast at Krishna's every day (an apple, banana, egg and delicious-just-made bread). After breakfast I walked to the orphanage and brought the children to school. The children are so lovely and nice and energetic. They're all very happy. After bringing the kids to school, you have time for yourself. Pokhara is a great city and there's much to do but it's also a great place to feel relaxed and just chill at a café.
At 15.00 the youngest children must be picked up again and then you go back to the orphanage with them. At 16.00 the older ones arrive by themselves. You have a snack with them and then there's free time!
I spend the free time doing homework with them, doing each others hair, doing henna, sprinting with the guys, reading, talking and of course taking lots & lots of pictures with them.
The house mother (who is so lovely though she doesn't speak English) makes you dinner. Her Dal Bhat (rice with veggies and lentils, with some variation) is very filling and delicious.
Just before dark you say goodbye to the kids and go back to your hotel. You have the evenings for yourself!

All in all I've had an amazing experience here. It exceeded my expectations and I'm sure I'll never ever ever forget this experience.
I would definitely recommend going to The Love Company Orphanage!!

The Love Company

I recently spent just over two months assisting at the Love Company orphanage in Pokhara. I had volunteered there before so I had an idea of what to expect.

The orphanage is home to 16 children aged between 3 and 15. The children all attend the local school, which caters for kindergarten age right through to teenagers. I found it to be very well run. The children are always well-fed, well dressed, clean and most importantly they are happy.

The main responsibilities for volunteers are meeting the children in the morning, getting them ready for school then dropping them off, and then helping with homework after school. The children are fun to be around, very active and intelligent, and genuinely appreciative of our time. I had a great time with them and will really miss them.

Breakfast and lunch are included in the program, as is accommodation at a local guest house (there is a 15-20 minute walk to the orphanage or it is a 300 rupee cab ride). Between 10am and 3pm volunteers have free time to explore Pokhara, second city of Nepal and an adventurer's paradise. Saturday was our day off but there was never a dull moment.

If you are interested in volunteering, and you would like to come to Nepal, I would have no hesitation in recommending Krishna and his team at the Love Company.

Feel the love with the love company

I have just come back from volunteering at The Love Company and it was the best volunteer experience I have ever done. When you first get to Kathmandu it can be a bit unnerving as there is so much going on but as soon as I got to the hotel I had no worries at all. They were so welcoming and made sure I got on the right bus for my journey to Pokhara the next day.
Krishna was waiting at the other end for me and I was taken straight to my hotel before going to the orphanage. As soon as I got to the orphanage the children ran up to me and took my hands. It was like they had always known you. There are 16 children between the ages of 4 and 15 and they are looked after by their house mother. It was so nice to see the older ones helping out. It felt like a proper family home. One of the youngest, Simran, never stopped smiling the whole time I was there.
I had so much time with the children unlike other volunteer placements I have done. I got to take the youngest ones to school and pick them up. They are always so pleased to see you. Then I helped them with their homework before playtime and dinner. I never wanted to leave at the end of the day.
You have some free time to explore Pokhara too and every morning Krishna and his wife give you breakfast at their house.
I went to Nepal on my own not really knowing anything about the country but there is nothing to worry about. The people are so nice it's like they are all taking care of you. If you only volunteer once then make it the Love Company Orphanage. You won't regret it and I can't wait to go back.

Volunteer at The Love Company Orphanage

I was volunteering in The Love Company Orphanage for almost 4 weeks in January/February 2016, and I can say that this was without a doubt an amazing experience. When I first arrived at the orphanage, the children came running towards me, I felt welcome from the very beginning. I took the kids to school every morning at 9:30, and picked up the younger ones at 3. In the meantime you as a volunteer have the opportunity to explore Pokhara, the lake & all the tourist hotspots. After picking up the younger ones from school, I helped them with their homework. I have never seen children who are so eager to learn - so doing homework and teaching them other things about life was always a great thing to do. After that we always had some time to just play, the kids always came up with new ideas and games. At 5:30 in the evening we had Dal Bhat (Nepal's national dish) all together. Krishna (the orphanage owner) & his wife were very kind and served me a nice breakfast every morning in their home. We always had nice conversations and one day I even got the opportunity to learn how to cook Dal Bhat with Krishna's wife. I can highly recommend this volunteer option to anyone who is interested in the Nepali culture & working with children. I felt that my help in the orphanage was highly appreciated . I will definitely come back again.

An Amazing experiance!

I have been with the children here at the love company for only a week so far and they have already stolen my heart. I have been in Nepal volunteering for 3 months and this has by far been my best experience. Every morning when you take the kids to school they great you with so much love and hugs and kisses, they are always at full energy so you must keep up! they are all so intelligent and fun and high energy and every day with them is a blast. The time with them everyday goes by to quickly, im never quite ready to leave for the day but i know i will see them the next day! They all have such different personalities and great qualities! There is also a lot to do in your off time such as trekking swimming in the lake and drinking coffee! Chrishna is the founder and great to work with him and his wife have done wonderful things for these children! If you want to volunteer in nepal I think this is the place!

An amazing volunteering experience!

The Love company is an amazing orphanage. I have been volunteering in a schools and orphanages in Nepal and this has by far been my favorite experience. The children here are extremely intelligent and so much fun to be around. Everyday there is a blast! The hours are set up very well so you have plenty time with the kids. They have so much personality and are so deserving and loving. The progress the children have made is astonishing most of them have only been in school since they have been placed in the orphange and are already doing very well with their education. Everyday you are greeted warmly by the kids with hugs and kisses. Chrisna the coordinator and founder is very accommodating and helpful. There is plenty to do in your off time here in pokhara, such as trekking, walking by the lake and much more. It has been an amazing experience all in all and I will definitely be back!

Feeling the love at The Love Company

I have now been volunteering at The Love Company for over a week and am having a really good experience. I first found the website when I was looking for orphanages in South America and for some reason The Love Company popped up - I didn't really know much about Nepal but when I was dancing around my house feeling excited I knew I wanted to come here. I emailed Krishna and he got back to me quickly saying he would love for me to come and volunteer. The arrangements for my arrival and everything else unfolded smoothly and easily.

Even though my plane arrival time changed by three hours the day before, I was still met by Krishna's friend at the airport and whisked off the a peaceful hotel in Kathmandu where I talked to Krishna on the hotel owner's phone. I was very much looking forward to arriving in Pokhara and meeting him the following day. My coach was delayed by two hours but Krishna was still there waiting for me and we had a big hug which was a nice way to be greeted. I then went to my hotel and then to Krishna's house where he explained more about what I would be doing and answered any questions. I also met his wife who provides delicious breakfast each morning.

My hotel is lovely - I have a breathtaking view from my balcony and the hotel owners treat you like one of the family. I often eat with them and on Saturday the hotel owner took me to his village in the mountains and we walked in beautiful countryside all day. It's so nice being able to see the himalayas everyday, I never get bored of looking at them.

The kids at the orphanage are great. You receive a really warm welcome and each newcomer gets a tour. One of the kids called Antim is the funniest child I have ever met, he is like a miniature breakdancing ninja. They are all very different and full of personality. Each day I walk them to school and collect them later on. After I help with their homework and then, if there is time, we do some activities like colouring or dancing and singing. There is lots of walking to and from the orphanage so it's nice to get lots of exercise.

The food here is really nice - Amma cooks Dal Bhat each evening at the orphanage and the breakfast is really nice to. Pokhara itself also has lots of nice places by the lake to eat and unwind so you are spoiled for choice.

I also enjoy the fact that you learn a lot from Krishna and his wife. They are constantly giving me spiritual and health tips which I am glad about. I am also doing yoga lessons at his house every morning at 7am with Santos who also works at the orphanage. They have lots to teach - for example this morning I learned about different foods that make you emotional! Love it.

A life changing experience!

I first contacted Mr. Krishna Pokhrel during the month of May to volunteer in the orphanage during the month of august. He was very pleased to hear from me and really helpful in all the doubts that I had about the country, the program and the children.
A few days before leaving home, I had to change my flight date due to overbooking, so I told Krishna as a friend of his had to pick me up at the airport in Kathmandu. At first I was worried about arriving to Kathmandu and having no one to pick me up because of the flight changes. I realized that I had nothing to worry about when Krishna's friend was waiting for me outside the airport. As Krishna told me, I would spend one night in Kathmandu then take a bus to Pokhara the following morning.
When I arrived to Pokhara, Krishna was waiting for me in the bus station, he brought me to the hotel where I would be staying for the duration of the program and then to his house, where I was welcomed as a new family member by him and his wife. He explained to me everything about the program that I didn't know; we talked about the children, about the city of Pokhara and much more. He told me about the difficulties they had to maintain the orphanage. They are in real need of help, not only volunteers, but also financial help.
The main problem is that a big part of the volunteers that help in the orphanage come from bigger organizations, which means that the program fee that they pay doesn't go directly to the children. So the best way to do it is to contact directly with Krishna or with The Love Company. I was told that with the program fee that I paid, I was not only covering my needs during the stay (Accommodation, food etc…) but it also covered the nutrition of the children for a whole month and health care too (purchasing medicine). When Krishna talks about the children you can realize how much he loves those kids and that he really cares about them.
The first day that I went to the orphanage I was surprised by the way that the children received me, they all came to me and started to give me hugs and they all had their biggest smile on their face. This made me realize how valuable my presence was for the children. They have tons of love for the volunteers and anyone that comes into the orphanage.
The afternoons with the children where great and really fun! First they have to do their homework. Some children have difficulties with their homework and they are really grateful if you give them a little help with it, it is really enriching to see them learn and progress. After their homework is done it is super fun to play with the children, boys love play-fighting with volunteers and the girls love dancing and singing. Here children are so different from what I am used to back home. Every simple game or joke you make brings tons of joy to them; they make games out of anything as they have lots of imagination.
Helping those children not only with my presence but with all their daily needs makes it a life changing experience. Volunteering for The Love Company really makes a difference on those children, but financial help can make it too!

Santiago Mosteiro, SPAIN

Excellent Volunteer Opportunity

I volunteered at the Love Company Orphanage in the Fall of 2012. I was very impressed by the kind and loving atmosphere at the orphanage and the excellent care that the children receive. I had very comfortable accommodations as well as plenty of opportunities for socializing after hours. It is pretty easy to meet people in Pokkhara as it is a popular tourist destination.
Prior to my volunteer experience, I did extensive fund raising in order to have more of a positive impact. Mr. Krishna Prassad Pokhrel gave me a list of what was needed at the orphanage. Then, together, we prioritized based on the amount of money we had. I was able to purchase mattresses, bedding, clothes as well as staple foods for the children. Additionally, I purchased fresh fruit and vegetables every day to complement the children's diet. We also went for pizza on my last day there. Mr. Pokhrel made sure that we got the best price for the things we purchased.
Everyone at the orphanage is very kind and has the children's best interest at heart. They recognize the importance of education, ensure the children are studying hard and work with the teachers at the school to keep them on the right track.
I have very fond memories of my time in Pokkhara and highly recommend this organization to anyone looking for a wonderful volunteer experience with some very special children.

Pokhara Orphanage Experience

I have been at The Love Company orphanage for just over a week now and it's been awesome. The highlight has got to be the kids themselves, they are AMAZING! Not only do you feel at home the moment you arrive, but you also feel actively involved in the orphanage straight away. I am here during exam times so extra effort must be put in to help with their studies and this is particularly rewarding. Pokhara is fun place to live as it's always lively and there's always new places to eat and fun things to do. The manager of the orphanage Krishna along with his wife are extremely hospitable, welcoming and approachable.

A wonderful life lesson

I've been volunteering for the Love Company for 2 weeks and it has been a very fulfilling experience!
The people on site were all very welcoming and attentive. The children were simply amazing, very smart and outgoing and eager to learn. They really live as a family and treat each other in a very caring way.
Since they were on holiday when I arrived we mostly played sports, we did painting and drawing and played games. So if you're coming mostly to help for their studies I think it would be wise to contact the orphanage before to come at the right time.
I would easily recommend to come to the love Company, I had a wonderful time with very nice people and I've learned a lot from the children, so don't hesitate!

3 Weeks

My experience with the Love Company Orphanage was meaningful beyond words. I spent 3 weeks here in November of 2014. Although 3 weeks is a short amount of time, it was more than enough to build caring relationships with all of the children and all of the people I worked with.

The kids are amazing. Despite their unfortunate circumstances, they are happy, energetic, humorous, and, for the most part, hard working. Each child has such a strong personality. They're characters in every sense of the word. You have little Antim, who has the energy of a cheetah, Bishal, who is as honest and hardworking as a fairytale Knight, you have Jamuna, who is fiery and fierce, and 11 other children who are just as unique and strong willed. The hardest part of the whole experience was saying goodbye.

After breakfast, we take the kids to school around 9:30 -10:00, and pick them up at 3. We help them with their homework, and play with them when they are done. Although you have to be tough with some of them, when it comes to homework. The oldest children and the youngest children are very diligent, but some of the middle aged kids like to jump straight to games, and try to skip some or all of their homework. We leave the orphanage after dinner before it gets too dark.

1 volunteer doesn't save the world, or drastically change these kids' lives, but the constant exposure to volunteers as they come one after the other makes a huge difference. The social interaction, educational assistance, and above all the love and affection volunteers provide, which these kids so desperately need, make a visible impact.

I highly recommend giving some of your time to the Love Company, although plan on coming back to Nepal later in life, because after you meet these kids, you're going to want to.