Volunteer Medical Trek Nepal Header Image Volunteer Medical Trek Nepal Header Image

Medical Trek Nepal Volunteer Adventure

Mom and Son Volunteer Adventure - Most Amazing Two Weeks of Our Lives!

My 15 yo son and I weren't sure what to expect when we started our journey to Nepal just six weeks following the devastating earthquake on April 25, 2015. It turned out to be the most amazing two weeks of our lives.

The physically challenging trek up the Himalayas in the middle of the summer, monsoon season was "really hard core", to say it mildly. My son was able to keep up with the "pretty" nurses in the front while the guides were nice enough to reduce their pace for the slow folks like me in the back. Even with the different physical fitness levels of the group, we were all able to complete our treks with success. Although it was difficult to appreciate the beauty while backpacking, we had ample opportunities to witness the shades of endless Himalayan mountain ranges surrounded by white clouds below us.

Despite missing the comforts of modern life like hot showers and comfortable beds, roughing it with such a fun and wonderful group of nurses, guides, porters, and new found friends made it totally worthwhile.

Above all, we fell in love with the people and culture of Nepal. Everywhere we went, we were warmly welcomed in the villages. We felt appreciated by the people who came to the medical clinics for small or big ailments. We were impressed by how hard these villagers worked on the mountain fields, and how long children were willing to hike to get to their schools, some even trekking over two hours by foot through these mountains. Yet, they would greet us with a "Namaste", wherever we went and shared their drumming, singing, and dance with us nightly.

This is an amazing, physically challenging, but emotionally rewarding trip I would recommend for anybody with a little sense of adventure.

Namaste! (translates to 'I recognize the divinity/or the god in you')

Medical Trek Nepal - Once in a Lifetime Experience

There are so many volunteer programs, and especially in Nepal, I didn't know which would be a good one to go with. But I went with Trekt Himalaya's Medical Trek Nepal because it was 1) remote trekking, and 2) promised an adventure along with volunteering! I was not disappointed. Our guides were Ram and Suresh and they were awesome. Ram is a quiet leader, and Suresh is... just funny all the time! They had a Nepali nursing team with us that was also priceless. The nurses set up an excellent pharmacy, and translated for us as none of the villagers spoke English. When they say REMOTE - they mean it. I am not sure where we were exactly, only that it was Tanahu district in Nepal.
We trekked right after the earthquake in June 2015, so the crowds were not as big as Medical Trek usually gets in their camps (or so I was told), but that was fine, because it was hot. HOT! However, the cameraderie of the Nepali, Aussie, UK, and American staff got us all through.
Sandra BK organizes the trek, and she thinks of everything possible to prepare volunteers and the Nepal team for a great trek. We had nice tents, plenty of great food, and friendly, helpful porters. Then, there is the unforeseen adventure of trekking for 10 days - that is lead by Ram. The schedule is, you walk a day, work in clinic camp a day, then trek out again to the next village outpost to make another camp. There are 4 camps in all. The villagers are so happy and grateful to see you coming. They put flowers around your neck, and give you tikka. Every night, they did drumming and dancing and shared their cultural with us around a campfire. You can learn a lot in Med school clinics, or doing rounds, but you can not learn to treat things in the field, with basic supplies, and a language cultural/barrier while hiking through the Himalayan foothills until you join this trek! I'd do it again!

A priceless experience

This was one of the best things I've done in my life, if not one of the hardest at the time! The organisation, run by Sandra, and head guide Ram was brilliant, and you will feel like you're really part of something inspiring and worthwhile. You'll help assess people, treat them, distribute medications no matter what your experience level is. The terrain is extremely rough trekking and expect camping, but it's par for the course, besides it won't be important to you when you're part of an amazing team making a difference to the people of Nepal. The guides and porters and cooks will well take care of you in any scenario. You'll love staying in the villages and seeing their cultural shows just for the trekkers. An unforgettable experience.

Medical Trek Nepal

The medical trek to Nepal was the adventure of a lifetime. People flocked to the village for the medical services that are otherwise nonexistent to them. The guides and local nurses were extremely gracious and helpful in assisting the volunteers to provide medical services.