VACorps participants VACorps participants

Sustainable Development Internships in South Africa

African Development in Cape Town

The staff at my internship were welcoming and knowledgeable about development in Africa, the United Nations and the African Union Process. There was so much room to find the place I fit and while I was working on grassroots campaigning I was assigned another project. I later found out that the organisation has a Togona or House of Wisdom board consisting of the late Nelson Mandela's wife and the former Kenyan president. It was such a great place to develop my skills practically.

Changed my Life

VAC changed my life. After graduating from Brown University, I was unsure about the career path I wanted to take, unsure of where I wanted to live and what I wanted to be. Interning with VAC not only confirmed by decision to not become a lawyer, but also made me realize that I wanted to live abroad for awhile and discover myself more. Fast forward two years later and I am happily living in South Africa, going to the University of Cape Town to study International Relations and have the best support system I could ever have asked for, living thousands of miles from home. I am extremely lucky and feel like VAC happened to me for a reason.

A new sense of solidarity

My internship allowed me to see the complex world of sustainable development, but also how simple it can be. Giving locals the tools and resources they need to become self sufficient was a rewarding experience. The work the individuals in the office do to make Cape Town a better place is a thankless job & this place is lucky to have them and their passion.

Scientific services internship

I was placed at Scientific Services Laboratories, where the drinking water & wastewater of the City of Cape Town is tested. It was a perfect fit for me because water-based chemistry is an interest of mine and I learned a lot about how I can use my degree to work in a water-related field. I am very happy with my internship and the way it turned out. It has been one of the best experiences of my life.

Winter in Cape Town

My experience in Cape Town has been incredible. Beautiful views, people, food, wine, everything! My internship taught me so much about sustainable development. South African culture and the world of work and life outside of work has been shared with an amazing international group of friends. I cannot wait to come back!