VACorps participants VACorps participants

South African Film Industry Internships

Ohhh Cape Town

I first went to Cape Town in Spring 2010 as a study abroad student. Within days, I fell absolutely in love with the city. I lived in VAC Housing with a group of other abroad students and the VAC staff took us in and included us in all of their activities even though we weren't part of the program. I quickly became close friends with the team and knew I would be coming back one day to take part in the program.

I finally got my chance in August 2013. I was working in advertising sales in television and wanted to switch gears and get more involved with the creative side of things. I had very specific experience I was looking to gain and VAC did an incredible job listening to what I needed and finding the right internship for me. I ended up working at a commercial production company where I got to do location scouting, production coordination, research, creative referencing, and on set help. I learned an incredible amount about the creative process which was exactly what my resume needed. At the end of my 3 month internship my site asked me to stay and I was able to turn it into a 6 month internship. I was also able to network with other production companies back in the states that worked through my internship site which was extremely helpful when landing a job upon my return. My VAC internship proved to be invaluable in developing my career.

What really makes VAC so special is the experience they create around your internship. It truly is a family and the staff and other interns are always there to help you out throughout your entire time in Cape Town. Cape Town has so much to do and VAC does an amazing job of helping you get the most out of your time. Each week, they do VAC Friday Activities where they take you on cool adventures around the city. They also do weekend trips and longer trips to places like Namibia and Mozambique. Interns are kept up to date on other events around the city and the staff is always available for questions. What's great is that you can do as much of it or as little as you'd like. But VAC always makes sure you have plenty of options.

I'm not sure what it is about Cape Town and also VAC but both tend to attract the most amazing people. I became such great friends with the staff, my fellow interns, and other people in the city that in 6 months I became closer to than people I've known my whole life. Cape Town is truly one of the greatest cities on this planet. It has this energy that inspires you to get out in the world and make the most of each day. It will make you fall in love with the city and it's a feeling that will stay with you long after you leave. Words cannot express how highly I recommend going to Cape Town and there is no better way to do it in terms of internship and overall experience than through VAC.

it's one of those "you had to be there" kinda things!

Wow. I was in Cape Town with VAC 5 years ago; almost to the day. And it's overwhelming even now, thinking about my experiences. So yeah, Wow!

Currently, I am working full time as a cinematographer and part time as a photographer in Bangalore India. I moved back here in January 2014. From Cape Town. What had started off as being a 3 month internship in Cape Town, turned into 6 months, into applying to film school there, and eventually graduating from there in December 2013.

This is all thanks to VAC. I remember quite particularly how daunting it can seem to want to move halfway across the world, to work with people you've never met, trusting people you don't know, in a city you've never been to. I am telling you first hand, it was hands down the best decision i ever made! EVER.

Not even just from the moment i arrived in Cape Town, but even before then, they were there for me every step of the way; helping me with visa formalities (which is a huge deal when you're Indian!) to patiently answering my thousands of questions. Every single one of them was nothing but friendly, helpful, and cheerful!

They look after you like one of their own, because that's really what you become - part of one big, ever growing, happy family that is VAC. The people that i met through the program continue to stay some of my closest friends. The cultural activities and travels are some of the best memories as well.

More than anything, their perseverance to help you find the perfect internship placement is what gave me some clarity on my chosen line of work, and here I am, 5 years hence, doing exactly what VAC helped me discover was my calling.

The key is to go with an open mind, expect the unexpected, and run with it! Even if your internship is only a coupe of months, that's just the start of this amazing journey that VAC pushes you in the direction of.

Oh, and what do i say about Cape Town! It is still, and will forever be, a place i call home. The warmest people, the happiest vibes, and the most beautiful place on Earth. for real!

It really truly was the best decision I ever made. VAC changed my life! and I will forever be grateful to them for it! I hope you let them inspire you the way they did me!

Good luck :)

Video Production Internship

I learned hands on technical skills from some of the best teachers I have ever had. It was a wonderful team to be on who encouraged me at every turn to pursue new projects and grow my skills beyond what I imagined.

What Can I Say?

What can I say about VAC and my internship experience in Cape Town?

As I've told countless numbers of friends, family members and peers, VAC took care of every aspect of my South African trip. Three months came and went, but VAC was there every step of the way... from providing transport from the airport, to showing me my internship site, even to presenting extra volunteer/project opportunities to improve my overall work portfolio!

VAC employees are young, talented, and energetic about their jobs and about their city. I'm proud to say every employee I met became my personal friend over the following three months I was in ZA. With their experience in the city, and passion for assisting young people pursue their career goals, VAC enabled me in every way possible to have an all-world experience.

I highly recommend pursuing Volunteer Adventure Corps for any kind of internship you want to do in Cape Town. Their connections in different industries spread far and wide, and they will pair you with a company you can learn from and grow... all while having the time of your life in the #1 City to Visit in the WORLD.