VACorps participants VACorps participants

Social work internships in South Africa

Exceeded Expectations

My internship affected me professionally as I was able to implement a program of my interest. Having that responsibility of designing, organising and running the program was an educational and personal learning experience. I also became more confident and doing this reassured me that I'm in the right profession. Cape Town was so much more than I had anticipated. It was such a beautiful place filled with amazing people! Everyone at VAC was so friendly and extremely helpful. I felt safe knowing they were by my side my entire stay. I have no choice but to come back in the future!

My second home

I've never worked with people in such an intimate setting. It was a very emotional rollercoaster. I realised that I have a way with people in terms of providing comfort or a self esteem boost. I didn't think that the women would have such an impact on me. Working with women of similar backgrounds to me showed me that it doesn't matter what happens to you, it's what you do afterwards that defines you as a person. Such a valuable lesson that came at the right time.

The existential act, not the existential word

Interning as a therapist here in Cape Town has been of tremendous value to my trade. To sit back and imagine a big change in your day-to-day life can be inviting. I'd say to this announce yourself to the actual change, get your sleeves dirty, and do it with all of yourself. Thanks VAC. Thanks South Africa.

The One and Only Cape Town

Not knowing what to expect before I came here, it's been an amazing journey and an incredible experience I would not want to miss. With a lot of ups and a few downs, Cape Town and its people have taught me a lot about myself, other cultures and things I want to achieve. I learned about how an NGO in a totally different country is being run and how it has to function with the little means they are being granted. I got to work with underprivileged people and children which opened up my eyes to appreciate things more. I suppose you only get to experience that in the one and only Cape Town!

Three Months in Cape Town

My experience in Cape Town was absolutely incredible. I met so many people from so many different countries. I'm so excited that I can go home with all these cultural experiences and stories to tell about my time here. While in Cape Town everything is preorganized: housing, host organization, activities, etc. By the time you get here your stress is lifted by the fact that VAC has taken care of the most important things already.