VACorps participants VACorps participants

Physical Therapy Internships in Cape Town

Athlone school for the blind

When I first received my placement at Athlone School for the Blind, I was a bit hesitant. I had never pictured myself working with visually impaired children and had little knowledge about visual impairments. I accepted the placement, hoping to push myself out of my comfort zone. I came to Athlone hoping I would change these kids lives, but it turns out they are the ones who have changed mine. I learned about the numerous challenges these kids face everyday, but also recognised how happy and strong they can be at the same time. One of my greatest accomplishments is the soccer session I started as I had noticed a group of kids that loved soccer, had great talent but had never received any personal training. I started working with the kids 2 afternoons a week and built relationships and memories I will never forget. My therapy sessions consisted of lots of balancing exercises and functional activities. I am definitely leaving Athlone with way more knowledge and sense of creativity than I came with. Now looking back, accepting the placement was the best decision I ever made. I can honestly say that Cape Town has changed me for the better and my only regret is not staying longer.

PT Internship in Cape Town

My internship was more than I could have asked for. I've learned so much about physio and working with kids and clients. I have stories now that will last me a lifetime! Some advice for future interns: be humble, work hard, get out of your comfort zone, learn Xhosa, have fun and don't spend your evenings in bed watching movies - you can do that at home! Live it up in Cape Town!

Adventures in Cape Town

Cape Town has been an amazing experience and I will never forget the people I met or the adventures I had. I learned so much from my internship site and I know I can take the skills I learned here and apply them anywhere I do. The VAC staff were very friendly and attentive to any needs or questions I had. I would definitely recommend Cape Town and this program to anyone planning on living abroad.

Maitland Cottage Home

I had a wonderful 10 weeks working as a physiotherapist! This was my first time in pediatrics and I enjoyed every day I got to work there. VAC helped me in so many ways and made this an unforgettable experience.