VACorps participants VACorps participants

Occupational therapy internships in South Africa

OT in Khayalitsha

At my internship I worked with various clients and patients ranging from a couple months old to elders with diverse backgrounds and needed areas of therapy. I was grateful to be in such a work environment and experience and gain so much. I had so much hands on experience that I would not get anywhere else. The skills I gained range from therapy techniques for paediatrics to elders with cerebral palsy, autism, strokes, aplasias, head injuries and much more. As well as birthing, immunisation and emergency experience.

Great program for internship opportunities

VAC has many connections and will be able to provide you with a great internship. I very much enjoyed my stay in Cape Town in and out of my internship experience. My internship allowed me to become more adaptable and sensitive to challenging situations. I witnessed various circumstances that I do not typically see at home. I became more proactive and learnt to manage my time efficiently. The time I spent in Cape Town made me feel more confident in my career choice and I am grateful to have spent the last 10 weeks here.

Tembaletu OT Internship

My internship at Tembaletu school introduced me to new therapy techniques and a new culture. I learned a great deal in my short time there and I am so thankful for this incredible opportunity. I enjoyed getting to observe therapists who clearly have a passion for their jobs and children who overcome daily obstacles and continue to inspire me.

The South African Wonderland

I had the most amazing time in South Africa and the staff at VAC helped to make this possible! It is a perfect place to complete an internship. You are surrounded by beauty everywhere you look and a vibrant city full of life!

The Rainbow Nation

This trip was a wonderful combination of challenging work, fun experiences and meeting so many different people. Cape Town provided everything from arts festivals, great food to scenic drives. I would recommend that students of any age come to study or work here.

Occupational Therapy at Woodside

Woodside is a tight knit community that welcomes one and all. Both the staff and residents are kind and uplifting. As an OT, I was able to apply my knowledge and grow as a therapist. It was a wonderful place to spend my five week internship.