VACorps participants VACorps participants

Engineering internships in South Africa

Intern at Celtic Yachts

After signing up for the VAC internship program, I envisioned an experience that would enable me to build skills, travel and help start my post university career. My actual experience was so much better!

My internship at Celtic Yachts included designing and building a 40 ft. ocean sailing catamaran. The timelines and expectations to finish the design in less than 1.5 months were very demanding but also rewarding. I had the opportunity to work side-by-side with the owner, who also founded one of South Africa’s largest electronics companies, the manager, who also managed a build for one of the largest aluminum yachts in the world, and the manufacturing team, who are some of the hardest working people I have met.

In addition to placing me in the perfect internship, the VAC team also helped me plan the activities I wanted to try while in Cape Town. Some of the highlights include sailing in a competitive race on the ocean, kiteboarding in Big Bay, standing on a surfboard and attending a Speakers event hosted by Google Ventures.

After working for about 1 year as a Technology Consulting Analyst at Accenture, I feel very fortunate to have participated in the VAC program. The experiences have been used frequently in all my past roles ranging from Management Consulting to Software Development. Lastly, the experience continues to add value to my career by working on projects remotely with contacts I met while in Cape Town.

My Springbok summer

No better place to spend a summer working than in beautiful Cape Town. My internship was at a firm that specialises in engineering cardiac devices. Through the rigorous and challenging projects and reports I completed, I had the opportunity to expand my knowledge if bioengineering while simultaneously expanding my cultural horizons through my immersion in South Africa. What an amazing opportunity for all types of personal growth and a once in a lifetime educational experience for all who have the chance to visit the Mother City!

An African in Cape Town

My internship made me realise green building is what I want to do in the near future. It was something I enjoyed doing and everything just felt right. I am hoping to take the green building exam by the end of this year. This also made me think about how much room Africa has to grow and how there is so much potential to expand green building in Africa.

I chose Cape Town because I wanted to see how different people live in some parts of the world. Not only did I learn about myself (as a Zambian) but it also taught me that no matter where you are, we are all the same.