VACorps participants VACorps participants

Counseling/Psychology Internships in Cape Town, South Africa

YIPSA in VACorps

VACorps set me up with YIPSA and it was incredible. I worked hands on with therapy and prisoners, I had my own clients at my at risk youth centre, and I connected with people in the mental health field. I was exposed to such a multicultural experience at a crucial point in my development as a psychologist and VAC helped me to accomplish that.

International Psychology Internship Experience

I had such a great experience interning through VAC at a psychiatric inpatient hospital in South Africa. I learned so much at my internship, the placement was a perfect match. Interning abroad was an important life experience for me to grow both personally and professionally, but also to set me apart from other applicants when applying to doctoral programs. I am proud to say I have received offers of admission from three Clinical Psychology PhD programs and all the schools wanted to talk about my internship in Africa during the interviews! If you are on the fence, I would tell you to absolutely go! It can open so many doors for you! If you would like to hear more about my amazing experience check out my alumni interview at this link: http://www.goabroad.com/interviews/leah-kaylor-2014-program-participant

Never be sad in Africa

My internship taught me to be comfortable with my own initiative. I was alone for the first six weeks so I had to get over being shy. During my internship, I have had a platform to practice my social working skills which has taught me a lot. The staff was amazing and very inspirational too so I have also learned a lot from them personally.