VACorps participants VACorps participants

Conservation internships in South Africa

Conservation in the most beautiful city on earth

This internship with CCT was a great learning opportunity for me and also a great way to take advantage of living and working in Cape Town. The city is truly a model when it comes to conservation, and learning about their projects ad policies will be very useful for me to take back home and integrate into future jobs. I also had the unique opportunity to live in a bustling metropolis while being able to work in truly pristine, wild places and see the nature reserves and national parks that many interns never get a chance to explore.

Chick Rearing Internship with SANCOBB

SANCOBB made me aware of the plight of not only endangered seabirds in South Africa, but of endangered species everywhere. I've gained a new found appreciation for people who work in wildlife conservation jobs. My internship improved my time management skills drastically, as well as teaching me better to work under pressure and adapt to changing environments. I also learned so much about handling, hand-rearing and caring for seabirds which are skills I never thought I'd have.

VAC Testimonial

Words can not describe what the last 6 months have meant to me….(That’s why I made a that you can watch below!). The experience of being able to move halfway across the world and meet people who immediately make you feel like you are part of their family is so unbelievably heartwarming. From inviting me to spend the holidays with their family, to taking me to the best hiking and diving spots, to planning the most epic trips and get-aways, every single member of the VAC staff went above and beyond anything I could have ever imagined.

I miss coming home with stories from my internship at the Two Oceans Aquarium about escaping octopuses, overly-attached penguins, and my unique adventures while sailing through both the Indian and Atlantic current systems to release a sea turtle and while driving a 200-pound ragged-tooth shark to the Southern-most tip of Africa. I feel so blessed to have been surrounded by so many passionate, determined, and inspiring people in a city that makes us all truly come alive. My only hope is that I can take some of this indescribable energy home with me.

Aquarist intern

The entire staff at Two Oceans Aquarium was warm and welcoming. I was given so many opportunities to explore various aspects of the aquarium team, and I loved working with all the different species of fish. My time here has solidified my future career choice of marine biology.