Vina Volunteer Service Header Image Vina Volunteer Service Header Image

Volunteer in Vietnam organic farming

Once in a lifetime experience

My time living with the family in Mai Chau for two weeks was a beautiful and educational experience that I will never forget. Ms. Xuan was a fantastic host and was patient whilst I learned and practiced the local language of Vietnamese. Waking up early every day to complete the daily routine was effortless with plenty of interesting tasks to keep me busy (and also lots of breaks in between) such as going out to collect the snails, fishing, cutting the grass and working in the fields. The women in the village made me feel so comfortable and at home that I felt like I belonged to their community during my stay.
One of the highlights of my stay was definitely eating with the family and learning to cook the traditional Vietnamese way. This really helped me to fully experience their way of life first hand and made me feel like one of the family. The local markets are a treat and very easy to access nearby as well as the stunning landscape that can be easily explored around the village on foot or by bike if you need some time to relax and reflect during your time in Mai Chau.
I would completely recommend taking part in the homestay organic farming project in Ban Luc as the people are so warm and welcoming and appreciative of the work that you do within their community. Vina Volunteer service has been so helpful and supportive and really given me peace of mind so that I could fully take advantage of my volunteer experience here in Mai Chau.

Love it so much

My two week stay in tranquil Mai Chau was a unique and unforgettable experience that allowed me to delve into the heart of the Vietnamese community and gave me the opportunity to appreciate their way of living. My host, Ms. Xuan, was so hospitable and made me feel welcome by introducing me to her daily routine within the community and inviting me into her home in the beautiful village of Ban Luc 2.
The peaceful surroundings of Mai Chau provide you with the perfect environment to breathe, relax and make a connection with nature to really allow you time to recharge from the usual stresses of modern day living. During my stay, some of the most enjoyable tasks I experienced were tending the buffalo, collecting snails, fishing and learning to cook authentic Vietnamese food with the locals. We also had neighbors that taught me how to embroider and weave traditional patterns into Vietnamese clothing whilst we had lots of fun practicing speaking English and Vietnamese. I also had the opportunity to explore the beautiful surroundings of Mai Chau by bike including the local markets, breathtaking limestone caves and an educational visit to the museum to learn more about Vietnamese culture. The Vietnamese people are so happy, welcoming and friendly and will spoil you with offers of green tea as if you were a member of their own family.
I could not recommend a better organic farming experience and David from the Vina Volunteer service organized my trip and introduced me to the community with ease. He also arranged all of my transportation including an additional two day trip to Halong Bay which was a spectacular end to my stay. If you are looking for an intimate, firsthand experience of community living then staying in Mai Chau is the perfect choice to make.