OTHER PROGRAM DIRECTORIES

Study in Belgium with Vesalius College

View detailed rating

Study and Intern in a phenomenal country

I studied abroad in Spring 2013 at Vesalius. The city is beautiful and is safer than many other places in Europe. You have opportunities to take field trips to the parliament, grab a beer with politicians and intern all while studying. For me, this was the experience of a lifetime. The locals were very pleasant and enjoyed to talk to those of us not from Belgium. Communication was fairly easy enough as many people spoke limited english.

The Stay in Belgium

for my first study abroad trip, I am very glad I picked the Vesalius program. The administrative staff and faculty at the school are very helpful.
Also, Brussels is a city for a safe adventurer like myself; It allowed me the cultural diversity that Europe has to offer, with the presence of many English speaking natives.

The visiting professors were very knowledgeable and academically achieved.

Vesalius will find a very suitable homestay for every student who wished to participate in the homestay program.

Brussels is a very unique and culturally diverse city.

Social Life:
Vesalius College hosted many student social activities.

Best summer I have had

The experience was unforgettable and it makes you as an individual mature and forces you to put in the necessary effort to have a great experience. How good of a time you have depends on the effort that you make.

Great teachers and good classes. Werent the typical types of classes I have found at a liberal arts college and getting out of the classroom was very nice as well.

My room was perfect for what i needed and the location was very good. The internet and living conditions were very nice as well.

Being able to take classes with locals was a unique and amazing opportunity. The classes introduced us to locals so we could develop relationships and get to experience a different side of the abroad experience.

The program directors were amazing and helped with any need we had and set up unique opportunites to get to know the country better.

As long as you are in a group you are fine. Also be wary of your surroundings and dont be to trusting.

Social Life:
Got to meet locals and became good friends with a couple and opened up opportuites most people dont get.

Great Cultural Experience Through Vesalius College

My study abroad experience was without a doubt the greatest experience of my life. I had a host family that was so kind to me. My host mother was extremely helpful and hospitable and really helped in showing me around Brussels. I doubt I would have made it to class on time if she wouldn't have shown me how to use the various public transportation around Brussels. Vesalius College was extremely helpful. I really enjoyed that they took the time to show all the students around the campus. I thought the program at Vesalius was extremely well organized. The first day they have an orientation with plenty of information needed to get through the first week of class. I never felt lost or confused because there was always someone available when I needed help. The staff at Vesalius is very helpful. I also thought it was nice that they take the time to include a "Tour of Brussels." Vesalius really thinks about the needs of international students who are new to foreign countries and really take the time to make them feel welcome, which I appreciated. The college campus is very accommodating, as is the building where I had my classes at Vesalius. It is very close to public transportation making it very easy to travel to and from. It is also an added bonus that there is a bar on campus! The first week Vesalius encourages students to come out to the bar, meet the new students, and overall just get adjusted with the campus. I met some incredible people at Vesalius from all over the world. I couldn't have imagined my study abroad experience without the inclusion of Vesalius. Their program really is one of a kind.

Review

I thought this program was great. The school staff and faculty are incredibly friendly and know what they are doing and talking about. Brussels is amazing and Vesalius is an awesome place.

The VeCo Experience

Classes were good and the teachers were great. The only thing that I wish there were more of was student activities. There weren't many VeCo-sponsored opportunities for students to socialize outside of school, unfortunately.

View detailed rating

Summer school much better than I expected

Summer school in Belgium was amazing, and better than I expected. My peers were very friendly and my professor made statistics such a fun subject to learn ( this is if maths isn't your favorite subject)

The course was well taught

I stayed at my parents home

Very diverse environment

The administration faculty was very friendly

Social Life:
Since I used to live in Belgium before going off the University I had friends used to go to my high school who were actually in my class. So my social life was pretty good.

Worth it

I had a great time. Belgium is awesome and the classes were great. Easy to travel.

Mostly good classes.

My family was awesome

Very immersed

no comment

Never really felt scared

Social Life:
Beer is good and there are some great bars.

great experience!

I took democratic transitions in eastern europe and an internship, both were well organized and executed.

independent housing

View detailed rating

it was a good experience

it was a good experience for the summer. not too demanding nor very difficult given that it was the summer, so we had time to enjoy ourselves outside class.

many people in my program got robbed more than once

very good

Easy traveling all over Europe from Brussels

The Brussels experience is one that cannot be missed! It is in the center of Europe and makes for the perfect "base camp" if you are planning to travel to lots of other places while in Europe. There is always something to do (because there are so many different museums and EU things going on). If museums are not your thing (because I know they are not my thing), there are lots of other things to do - there are great parks and forests to walk around and lounge in. There are lots of friendly people to meet near Luxemburg station, where all the EU trainees and interns go on Thursday nights. There are lots of small streets with little boutiques and antique shops. There is amazing food on every corner! I was easily able to travel around Brussels on public transportation, but more importantly, by utilizing Eurolines and RyanAir I was able to easily (and cheaply) travel to many other places such as London, Paris, and even Budapest! Don't be afraid to show up without a plan. People are friendly and if you ask they will help you out. Planning a trip once you are there is easy - especially if you get an amazing home stay family who is more than willing to help you.

I came into the course with very little knowledge on Muslims in Europe. While I did leave with more knowledge, I felt that the majority of the learning was done independently. I could have picked up the articles and books and read them myself without paying for tuition and learned just as much. There was not much added knowledge from the instructor. Initiation of class discussion from the professor was also lacking.

My homestay experience was the best part of my trip! The family was amazing, I really got to dive in to the culture, and I learned a lot about the area I was staying from them.

Very helpful and quick to respond.

Brussels was very safe. There are a few areas to avoid, such as the area just North-West of Grand Place. You need to travel smart, as you would anywhere else. Know where your belongings are at all times and don't flash cash. It was especially safe compared to Paris. I never had a problem in Brussels, but I got to Paris and people in the train stations and at bus stops tried to steal from me at least 3 times. They clearly saw me watching them and still tried to take things right out of a pocket on my backpack - all were unsuccessul thank goodness.

Exciting

The professors at Vesalius were very good. I really enjoyed the courses and the field trips within the city. Brussels is a beautiful city and has so much to offer.

View detailed rating

The program is good but just needs some improvement.

My favorite part of my trip was my homestay family. Really, that is what made everything worth it to me. Of course the classes required alot of work as well as my internship but what made it even better was having a place that I enjoyed coming home to. No matter what classes or internship you take you should always choose to stay with a homestay family.

I loved my homestay family

It was difficult to get to know the real parts of Belgium because Brussels was such a business-oriented place. I would suggest trips to other parts of Belgium for every class

Most things went well but the turn around rate for answers to questions or necessary documents was fairly slow.

Social Life:
Depends on what night of the week you go out or if there's a football game going on.

View detailed rating

Vesalius College welcomes new students with open arms.

Vesalius is great in terms of welcoming students. However, some technical issues like printing and computers, as well as the general laid back attitude of the professors, can be slightly frustrating at times.

Good, but professors were a little too laid back about everything

Great!

I felt very safe.

Social Life:
There are so many fun things to do in Brussels, it was had not to have a social life!

Great Location for Travel

Overall I had a great time on my trip and stay in Brussels. Belgium is a gorgeous country. I had a lot of opportunities to travel and my internship was beyond amazing. I met some incredible people. I was robbed twice during my stay, and once being very aggressive, so you need to be cautious and aware of your surroundings at all time.

Wasn't very challenging and didn't allow for a lot of discussion or group work

Got robbed on my own street, not the safest

Would have liked more opportunities to be with Vesalius students that weren't from my study abroad program

CIEE was great!

As a female you will be stared at and hollered at often. Men are much more open and obvious about it, and will beep their car horns, follow you, and try to touch you. The best thing is to travel in groups and hopefully with some males. Just don't make eye contact with strangers and always know where your going...don't stop and make it known that your lost, this is the biggest time to be targeted.

Social Life:
I met a lot of great people through my internship and that allowed me to know some locals. There are definitely some inner city bars that/cafes that stay open late, especially on the weekends. So beyond that there were a lot of great museums to explore and festivals going on!

View detailed rating

This college should immerse interntional students better.

I think that the College should put a little more effort into making the new students feel welcome and to helping them learn more about the college. I also did not feel that the academic system was very strong at this college, so it was a very relaxed learning experience.

View detailed rating

I fell in love with Brussels.

Brussels was a great city to break you into studying abroad. Vesalius is a college absolutely filled with kind, welcoming students and great professors who provide a challenging, yet fun atmosphere. I had an unfortunate experience with a homestay family, but I fixed it quickly on my own. I would suggest going with a friend to the program and getting an apartment instead of a homestay.

The professors were absolutely fantastic, interesting, and incredibly caring.

Host families should be monitored when complaints are made, not covered up.

I made long-lasting friends of all ethnicities that I maintain and stay in regular contact with.

The ladies at the reception desk were great and Caroline was a wonderfully kind lady.

There were a few instances that I felt threatened, but I would suggest staying in groups of 3 or more people.

Social Life:
There is never a "down time" and the Belgian natives are always glad to show you around.

View detailed rating

An exquisite an captivating summer abroad!

While the facilities were smaller in stature than what I expected, the academic output was great! The courses were unique and interesting and the Vesalius faculty was captivating and engaging. However, I would suggest pickin classes instructed by a foreign professor, not one visiting from the U.S.A. Vesalius is conveniently located near public transit stops. The city of Brussels is fascinating and thrilling! Needless to say, this summer session is one that had a great positive impact on me and is an experience I won't soon forget!

I have yet to receive a final transcript and have yet to be informed of my grades for the summer term.

Social Life:
Fun events and mixers put on by Vesalius!

Not the Best not the Worst

Vesalius College is comprised of about 300 students in total. It consists of several classrooms in an office building which also houses other companies. Professors are rotating, so while you have the opportunity for a great teacher with an interesting and diverse background you may also end up with a teacher who isn't that invested in the course.

Teachers varied, there were some very excellent professors and a few questionable.

I lived in a great apartment in a great neighborhood in Forrest, but I had a 45 minute commute to school.

I did the summer program so it was all students from the states.

Very nice people, I wish there had been more of an advisor presence when we arrived because even though it is an American style university there is a lot of european aspects that we had questions on.

Campus is safe, but be careful at night on the way home.

Social Life:
I had an internship and most of my time with my co-workers. Other friends of mine made good connections at the University, but I have no personal anecdotes.

Brussels is Bliss.

I had the time of my life in Brussels. I made so many wonderful friends that I am still close with today. Everyday was a true adventure. I became inseparable with my host family and they not only taught me about their culture and language they taught me about love, patience, friendship, and life. They have effected my life forever and made me such a stronger person. I feel so much braver, brighter, and freer after this experience. I am forever grateful that I was able to come here and forever blessed for those that walked into my life while staying in Brussels.

The classes are dull and don't have a lot of real life content.

My host family was incredible! My experience wouldn't have been as amazing without them!

I loved the pub crawls! However most of the students are very closed off and not open to study abroad students.

I felt very safe in my house but Brussels is not the safest city.

belgium's dark side

belgium is not a place i would want to revisit. although i had a wonderful internship, my classes were terrible. i didn't learn a thing and i had an american professor so as for the cultural experience, there was none. it rains everyday and is a typical dirty city. i enjoyed the experience of the internship but if i had the offer to do it again i would not take it.

terrible teaching staff, i felt like i did not learn anything while i was there.

lived off campus

everyone in my class was american except two students.

Social Life:
there isn't much of a social life at the school. there was one night everyone went to the bar together but since i worked as well as went to school i found myself busy and hanging out with coworkers rather than students.