Vervet Monkey Foundation Header Image Vervet Monkey Foundation Header Image

Volunteer with Primates / Monkeys in South Africa

A new way to see the world

Talking more about my experience, being there gave me a lot of friends and also a new way of seeing the world and how I can do for it.

The Vmf was truly a place that I hold very dear in my hart , Dave & Jo are two amazing humans. Living with the monkey was one of the most magical things I have ever done. You really do feel like you make a difference. Would recommend the Vmf to anyone.

Find whatever what you want here!

It's a place where you can find whatever you want, nature, adventure, love, friends, opportunities or even what you want to do in life!

Volunteering at Vervet Monkey foundation was amazing.

The vmf is an amazing place. I always think its paradise when I was there. I went as a 6month volunteer and ended up staying two years to help volunteer as the Vet nurse. Best decision I ever made. Learnt more about the primates and observe their behaviour. The staff and volunteers that go through are all wonderful, met tons of people all over the world. The founder and his wife are amazing people. They are always there caring for the vervets as well as all animals and the volunteers and staff that stay. Just a nice family feel, made my time there comfortable and it help me be less home sick. Its also nice because anyone who goes there does make a difference and appreciate for their work, a nice team feeling. So I'm very happy to know there is a place like them out there helping the animals anyway they can.

I've completely fallen in love

So great to be able to come and help support the important work here. Good healthy, hearty and tastey Vegan food. Evenings chatting round the fire-pit. Fantastic staff and volunteers. Fun trips out organised. Amazing views, wildlife and weather. I have completely fallen in love with the place and the people. Can't recommend enough.

Highly recommended

I worked as a volunteer staff member and had the most amazing experience, learning about the vervet species working with a large team of local volunteers and local staff. Great atmosphere fun evenings and great day trips with opportunities to visit Kruger national parks and other sights. I would highly recommend the VMF to anyone interested in volunteering.

Impressive

The VMF is impressive. They take consummate care of the hundreds of primates in their sanctuary. The hygiene standards are superb; handling is gentle. Every single thing they do is devoted to providing the best care possible for these innocent, intelligent beings. Their rotation and training of volunteer chores is kept interesting and diverse, with opportunities to do more of what one's favorite chores are. They work as hard as possible to educate the public and educate their staff and volunteers on humane ways of being in the world.

I hope to return someday

On my first day, during an introductory tour of the sanctuary, a vervet monkey dropped from a tree onto my back! Others around me gasped in surprise, I remained calm, as it felt like a cat jumped on my back. With instructions from the caregivers, I walked to the monkey's enclosure and she/he jumped off my back to a waiting branch. I was so ecstatic to have received such a welcome! My entire stay was filled with wonder and delight-- from observation of monkeys, to feeding and cleaning, to spending time with the babies (who reminded me of gremlins!), to building fences, repairing fences, washing towels, working in sickbay, helping with prep of meds. During my stay, I learned about the need for sanctuary for these animals, who were treated as vermin to be disposed of without any thought of their ability to feel pain, or feel security and love and attachment to family. I still feel a bond with Josie and Dave and the monkeys I spent time with. Today, I see the remarkable work that continues and hope to return to this place of sanctuary.

Fantastic sanctuary

The Vervet Monkey Foundation is a fantastic primate sanctuary, with very high standards of care for all its monkey residents and a great place to volunteer. The work is interesting and varied - you can gain a real insight into a working sanctuary and learn about vervet monkey conservation and care. The volunteer facilities are very good and the food is great! With friendly staff, lots of opportunities to visit beautiful local areas and amazing wildlife, this must be one of the best places to volunteer in South Africa!

My stay at VMF was organized through i to i travel. Previous to this trip, I had volunteered with The Gorilla Foundation, working with Koko, the gorilla who spoke through sign language. There, I volunteered once a week making meals for Koko and Ndume, another gorilla, and cleaning cages. This was my first, but not my last, trip to Africa.

The best thing I've done

Absolutely loved my stay at the VMF, I volunteered for a month. It was my first stop on a year of travels and honestly couldn't of asked for a better start. Everyone was amazing the staff and all the other volunteers. I got a lot more out of my stay that I expected, unlike a lot of African volunteer projects where you basically pay to play with humanised animals the VMF works to educate locals and protects the monkeys and build strong troops to release back into the wild. I loved it best thing I've done and can't wait to go back one day.

I cannot wait to go back!

Honestly, this was probably the best experience I've ever had while traveling. Everyone there was so nice, and always a pleasure to be around. I was excited to wake up every morning and get started with making the rounds and seeing all the monkeys. The work was easy enough, definitely hot for a Canadian, but it was never too much. And of course if ever it was too much someone would be there to help you out. It was an amazing experience. The cabins are great, the volunteers are all kept in a little mini village on the foundation, and then we had the community cottage where we all gathered every morning for breakfast and every evening after work for supper and socializing. I can't say enough good things about the place, and Dave and Jodie as well. Such amazing, caring people, always there with a smile to help. I would absolutely recommend this place to others, I already have! I cannot wait to go back!

Life changing experience

Fantastic foundation which allows you to work with and learn so much about the amazing vervet monkeys!
From observing them in troops to helping look after the babies during baby season there is always something to do.
South Africa is a beautiful country and there are various trips organised weekly to the picturesque waterfall, stunning baobab tree and beautiful river. Also, you can choose to visit the local lodge and relax by the pool.
The food is fantastic and the accomodation is very comfortable.
It is such a great place and I'm just waiting for the day when I can go back. I'd highly recommend volunteering :)