V2 Volunteer & Vacation Header Image V2 Volunteer & Vacation Header Image

Social and Community Development Internship

Volunteer in Jamaica with the Social Development Agency

I recently volunteered on the Community Development program with V2 Volunteers in Jamaica. Volunteering with s social development agency gave me the opportunity to be involved in community projects to help improve facilities for local people. I was involved in the planning of the community meetings with local people and I helped in the planning of intercommunity cricket match. One of my duties was to make sure that the community was well informed about the event. During the cricket matches, there were commentators who formed part of the entertainment; there were quizzes about cricket and aspects of Jamaica. There was music and local food that could be purchased. I had a great time being able to watch the cricket match. The programmes allowed me to meet with local people from different parishes and helped me to learn more about the culture of Jamaica.

Staff at the social development agency very friendly and welcoming and wanted to know about me and what I wanted to get out of the program. The supervisor looked after me well and supported me throughout my placement. I enjoyed getting to know the team at the cricket event and I enjoyed working with all the there, as I learned a lot from them.

I stayed at a guest house during the period I was volunteering with V2, I had a room with its own bathroom and shared a kitchen with other guests. The accommodation was approximately 45 minutes away the offices, which meant I got a lift from the supervisor or took a private taxi that Jade organised for me. For me, the best thing about staying at the guest house was being close to Ocho Rios, because it gave me the opportunity to experience nightlife in Jamaica. As there were a lot of bars, nightclubs and restaurants it was a lively hub for locals and tourists.

The volunteering program helped me to become more confident in carry out the duties and undertaking activities. Volunteering with V2 helped me to understand how a social organisation works in Jamaica. The program gave me the opportunity to visit places such as Ocho Rios a very interesting place. I was looked after by the volunteer coordinator, Jade and the driver, who was very attentive and was in contact with me during the mornings and evenings in case I needed any help. She was very informative and made sure I knew what was going to happen each day and recommended activities that I could do on my own. The volunteer coordinator organised trips, including to a place called Blue Hole, which was a beautiful river in the local area. The support I was given on the programme helped me become more confident about travelling around in the area on my own. After completing the V2 volunteer programme I would like visit Jamaica again in the future to explore other parts of the island.

Smile Jamaica

Thanks to V2 I had the possibility to live real Jamaica through the experience of volunteering. The training before my departure had been truly halpful. The accomodation and the job have been very well organized. My experience in Jamaica has been 100% positive, both for my personal and professional growth. I found myself completely confortable in living with local people and I enjoied every part of Jamaican life, from the music, to the food. My work experience has been amazing and it prepared me to find a job in the field of development. I fell in love with Jamaica to the extent that I am planning to go back there as soon as possible.