Local kids Local kids

Volunteer in Thailand Teaching English

Thailand, such a beautiful place

My family and I are very close and when I told them about my upcoming trip to Thailand I had a lot of concerned comments pushed my way. 'You are going to get kidnapped... Or murdered... Or something bad is going to happen to you... Thailand is full of poverty ... The people are so poor... It is a really dirty place..'. I forgot to mention these comments were not just from family trying to scare me into staying home they came from coworkers and other acquaintances as well. I know in my heart the people who tried to stop me from traveling were just very uninformed and trying to persuade me to change my mind. Well I didn't get scared into staying home and I am so glad I chose to volunteer.
My volunteer project was to teach English with a co-teacher, whom I expected would be fluent in English and in the classroom with me at all times. Too good to be true right? I've always imagined teaching to be a very easy profession and I know now it absolutely is not! When planning this trip I had it in my head ' oh I can speak English and play with kids... No big deal.. Piece of cake...' well my job teaching was much more difficult than I had expected. For starters creating a lesson plan is a lot of work. Not to mention creating a lesson plan that is fun, entertaining, successful, and easy to translate without knowing any of the language. As the weeks went on I finally got into my own groove of teaching. Thai students are just absolutely amazing. I enjoyed seeing their little faces and hearing their accents.
The beaches, mountains, waterfalls, and scenery just about everywhere are nothing less than astonishing. I fell in love with the beauty here and not just the physical beauty. Thai people are genuine and strong, despite how much money they have. It is the addition of this inner beauty and their culture that makes Thailand such a beautiful place. I spent three months in Thailand and I was not kidnapped, murdered, or felt disgusted from poverty. On the other hand something really bad did happen: I left.
April