Local kids Local kids

Volunteer in Costa Rica Teaching English

Coming to Costa Rica with uVolunteer was one of the greatest times in my life.

It was a really gratifying experience and would do it again if I could.

Coming to Costa Rica was one of the greatest times in my life. I did the Construction project for three weeks. It was a really cool project because I was really able to see the impact that I had when the house started to come together. Even though it was a lot of hard work, it was also a lot of fun

A great thing about these programs is that you have Fridays off which leads to a bigger weekend so you can travel longer. The weekends were a lot of fun and I saw so many beautiful places and wildlife. The accommodations at the dorm are amazing and great food is prepared every day by Dona Isa. One thing I would suggest is to help out Ligia and Nohelia in the English Classes where they are teaching locals English during the week.

Something else you should do in Costa Rica is attend a dance class. The class was a lot of fun and we learned some Latin dances as well as getting a good workout. Overall, I felt welcome in Costa Rica from the moment I got here and I met Nohelia and Ligia as well as the locals. It was a really gratifying experience and would do it again if I could...
Sean

I knew I was going to have a good time with uVolunteer

They were so enthusiastic and fun, we chatted the whole way to the dorm aka the gringo house. My first weekend there was rather quiet. On Saturday, Nohelia took Brittney and David the other volunteer that had arrived on Friday for a tour of San Ramon and lunch. The town is safe and a nice size. The next day the four of us did a canopy tour (zip-lining; it was so much fun despite my fear of heights! That night we anxiously awaited the arrival of the other volunteers living in the dorm that would be returning from their weekend excursion.

Our house mother Dona Isabel, was also wonderful, coming to clean and cook us breakfast and dinner Monday-Thursday. She genuinely cares about us and always talks to us even if our Spanish isn't very good.

My orientation at the community center project was very good. Not only did we get a thorough tour of the center and introductions to all the staff, but we also took a walk through the neighborhood, the neighborhood where the children from the center live. I feel like this was very important because it gave us an appreciation for how little these children have, the dangerous conditions they come from, and how even small things like a hug are invaluable to them. At first it was a little hard to figure out what exactly to do at the center, but as time went on, I became more familiar with the children, how things ran, and areas where I could help.

One of the best parts of uVolunteer is that you have Friday - Sunday free to travel as well as mornings and evenings depending on your project. It is a perfect mix of volunteering and vacation. I was only able to travel one weekend, and despite getting sick, I had a good time. I visited Monteverde and La Fortuna. I enjoyed a tour of a coffee, cacao, and sugarcane plantation, a walk through the jungle at night, a hike near the volcano El Arenal, and a relaxing swim in the hot springs. Travel is relatively easy and inexpensive with the plethora of buses and hostels, plus Ligia and Nohelia help you plan any trips. They are there via phone to assist you during your travels, for example, if you accidently get on a bus to Nicaragua or have to visit the medical clinic. During the week, I also had a lot of fun during my free time with the fellow volunteers just exploring the town, getting gelato at Aroma's cafe.

Emily