University Studies Abroad Consortium participants University Studies Abroad Consortium participants

USAC SPAIN: San Sebastián - Basque & European Studies

Experience of a lifetime

I hope that my trip abroad to study in San Sebastian won't be the highlight of my life, for obvious reasons, however I honestly won't be surprised if it was. Before I left, I was actually extremely nervous because of how obnoxiously introverted I used to be. But, I decided to just go for it anyway and that was absolutely the best decision I have made so far in my life. I had such an amazing time and was able to learn tremendous amounts about myself and discovered how much more capable I am than I originally thought.

Exploring the Basque Country

Studying abroad in San Sebastian Spain was one of the greatest experiences of my life. USAC really was a great program to study through. They were helpful, nice, and if you ever needed anything, they were always there for you. San Sebastian is one of if not the most beautiful place that I have had the pleasure of calling home. If I could go back tomorrow, I would.

Donosita-San Sebastian

The USAC San Sebastian program offers helpful and insightful classes, teaching and other internships, conversation partners to practice Spanish or Basque, and great opportunities to explore the Basque Country and other areas of Spain. Studying abroad was the greatest experience of my life so far, and I met friends and fell in love with a new culture that I know will always be a part of my life. Now that I'm home, I'm a completely different person for the better, and everyday I'm working towards a way to get back to Spain! USAC opened my eyes to a completely new life that I couldn't imagine living without, you will, without a doubt, have an amazing experience when you go abroad with USAC.

Eye Opening Immersion

Studying abroad in San Sebastian Spain was one of the best decisions I have made. USAC helped set me up with an amazing family and classes geared toward my personality and language level. San Sebastian truly became my home as I was able to not just learn about another culture but embody it and live it as my own. The host family that I was placed in took me in as their own and helped me adjust and live the like a local as well as practice my Spanish. USAC really took my interests and personality to heart when placing me with an appropriate family whom I still communicate with today. The USAC staff overseas were also wonderful with working with the student's needs and concerns. They helped set me up with a paid internship teaching English in a local school, organized amazing field trips to places that would be difficult to get to on our own, and gave us loads of information and support within our program location. I was able to have that support and guidance when I needed it but was also free to grow as an individual without feeling restrained or held back. Studying abroad gave me confidence, insight, compassion, and experience which I have taken back home and implemented into my everyday life. I believe that everyone should have the opportunity to live in another culture which ultimately helps you learn about your own culture and your place within it.

Being in the Basque Country

Living is Spain was one of the greatest experiences of my life. Many people can say that about their trip abroad, but I really do believe it to be true. I had the chance to really experience the Basque Country and try to integrate with an unfamiliar culture. The people were welcoming and excited to tell you about their history and culture.The food was awesome, though you might miss spicy food, they more then make up for it with delicious pinxtos (Basque finger foods). The teachers were always willing to help and made it a goal to get you talking and excited about the language. I did feel that I didn't meet as many locals as I could have, but I stayed with a host family so I had the chance to speak with them to practice my Spanish. The people were awesome and I would have loved to live there because of the people alone, but the beautiful beaches and great city helped too!