University Studies Abroad Consortium participants University Studies Abroad Consortium participants

USAC SPAIN: Alicante - European & Mediterranean Studies

Life with USAC in Alicante

Alicante is an excellent city to experience what Spain has to offer: warm and friendly people, great cafes and tapas bars, the Mediterranean Sea, a vibrant nightlife, a beautiful language, and many more aspects about the Spanish culture. USAC is a great platform to get more involved in the community. Luis and his staff provided great support and constantly emailed students, inviting them to different events/asking them if they wanted to do certain things in the community. The instruction from Lourdes was very informative and engaging. She came with fun exercises to do every day. The public transportation was great as well. The bus and the tram connected the city to everywhere you could possibly need to go. The only negative thing about the city itself, was the limited flight options.

Alicante, Spain

This program changed my life. I experienced so many new things, met so many incredible people, tried some interesting food, and learned so much about cultures all over the world. The academics, administration, housing, and overall program were all magnificent. I would recommend this program to anyone.

Home by the Sea

I adored Alicante. Right by the sea it provided a fun and exciting place to study abroad that was not as overwhelming as a big city might be. The USAC staff was amazing, constantly working to make sure that everyone's experience was the best that it could be. When I first arrived in Alicante my housing situation seemed to be falling through, as my host mom was dealing with her own mother being very ill in the hospital. USAC worked to make sure that I was comfortable in this time of uncertainty, keeping in the loop and working to make sure that I would in fact have housing if this situation didn't work out. Fortunately it did, and I had the greatest experience living with a caring Spanish family, constantly making sure that I was happy and always practicing my Spanish with me. This program offered a variety of great field trips to local areas and other places of Spain. I was able to travel to other countries in Europe and truly observe the European lifestyle. I believe that someone could go anywhere in Spain and have a truly wonderful time, but the opportunities and the security that USAC provides is unparalleled. I highly recommend Alicante and USAC.

Study in Spain!

Everything is great there! Weather, the beach, the school and the atmosphere! Muy bueno!

Study in Spain!

I have enjoyed studying in Spain. This has been a great experience so far. I have enjoyed learning about the culture. If anyone gets the chance to go, I definitely recommend it!

Best program on the Mediterranean

If you are looking to study abroad in Spain, USAC's program in Alicante is the experience of a lifetime. Not only did my semester in Alicante change my worldview and perceptions of myself, but it also changed my academic and career interests. I loved my intensive Spanish classes, and they gave me skills that I am still able to utilize even though I am back in the US. I connected with locals and with other American students, and I got to experience a different lifestyle-- a lifestyle that I completely fell in love with. On the USAC Alicante program, I got to see many sights in Spain that I might not have seen otherwise, and I was also able to attend important Spanish festivals like Las Fallas and Carnaval. The program was very supportive and helpful as I transitioned into the Spanish culture, and I was given plenty of resources for any need that may have arisen. I highly recommend this program because Alicante is very student-friendly, and USAC does a great job of supporting students but also giving them the freedom to explore the surroundings and to immerse into the culture.

I was enrolled in the Track II Spanish language course series with USAC, and my Spanish skills improved dramatically because of this program. The courses went into great depth, and I was always excited to apply what I was learning to the world around me.

I lived with a host family, and this was one of the best things that I did. Living with a host family allowed me to more fully immerse into the culture, and I got to eat delicious meals as well!

USAC helped organize an intercambio language exchange program that helped with making local friends and immersing into the culture. It was a great way to practice speaking Spanish and to get a better sense of the culture from the eyes of a Spanish peer.

Luis and Sylvain are incredible. They were always checking in to make sure that everything was going well, and they worked so hard to provide fun opportunities for students like rowing class, field trips, and excursions.

Alicante is a very safe city, and although it is still important to pay attention to your surroundings, you won't feel in danger in Alicante. There are always people out, so it never feels deserted or unsafe.

Social Life:
Alicante has a great social life because people are always outside walking the streets or spending time at the beach. The nightlife is also very good for students, and it gives you the opportunity to connect with local Spanish students.

Had an amazing experience