University Studies Abroad Consortium participants University Studies Abroad Consortium participants

USAC ITALY: Viterbo-History, Art, Photography, & Journalism

USAC in Viterbo = LOVE!

There is no better place to immerse yourself in Italian culture, art and history than the sweet, medieval city of Viterbo. The USAC program there is top-notch. The academics are just right, there are many rich excursions, the restaurants are fantastic, the shopping is fun, the gelato is WORLD CLASS. Go!

The Best of Italy

I chose USAC because they were the easiest and cheapest option for me. I chose the USAC Viterbo Italy program because I always wanted to live in Italy, but I wanted to live in a city where I could experience more than a regular tourist would. This was something that I found living in the small town of Viterbo. Viterbo also had so many positive experiences to offer. Some of my favorite experiences were the various festivals that take place in Viterbo. For example, for a week in late June, Viterbo has a festival called Ludiko. Ludiko is a medieval festival, which takes place in the medieval section of town. There are costumes, games, booths, and performances, that are all medieval themed.
I also really loved the USAC staff abroad, who were always so willing to help you on anything from travel plans to immersion opportunities. They even were able to set me up with a language partner, who I was able to practice my Italian with. Study abroad is extremely beneficial in helping you grow and learn more about yourself. Study abroad forces you to learn valuable skills, like communication, patience, and flexibility. It also makes you take a good look at yourself; something that helped me decide what I wanted to do with the rest of my college career and beyond.

The best place to study abroad in Italy PERIOD!

This world holds many beauties and Viterbo is definately one of them. It's perfectly located close enough and far enough to get everything that you need. It has a great college scene, you can head to Rome and fly anywhere around Europe, and you are centrally located making it easier to travel up north or down south if you'd like, or even take a ferry to Sardegna. You get a real Italian experience not a typical english speaking, all american, tourist trap you'd find in Florence and Rome that's for sure.

BEST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE!

Courses were great and professors where knowledgeable. Although other students complained about thick accents. They knew their stuff.

My apartment along with other student housing was so cute. They are not American so don't expect big kitchens or a dryer, but balconies or terraces over looking this beautiful midieval city.

You become part of a lively community. That is if you want. Going into little shops and getting groceries is an expereince, and because most people know eachother there the store, cafe, and pizzeria owners like to know who you are. I definately had some interesting dialogue with many of the owners. Especially Pizza DJ I love him and Riccardo at Cafe San Sisto (best cafe in town btw).

They became your family. Stefano and Frankie where like my mom and dad. They really had it put together to make sure our study abroad experience was the best it could possibly be.

Yes Italian men are creepy (not dangerous), but I never feared for my safety.

Viterbo

Viterbo is all about Italian culture. Each night around 5, people walk the streets with gelato in hand. The nightlife is huge there, as well- Viterbo has a very young population with lots to do. The coffee is amazing, and so is the atmosphere- the shops are run by the owners. In any given street, you could pick up meat, cheese, pastries, gelato, pizza or sit down at a restaurant, and it would all be the best food you've ever had. Viterbo is Italian culture at its finest.

The best Italian experience you could hope for.

You would be hard pressed to find a better place in Italy to study abroad. Viterbo is so beautiful and so welcoming, plus it is an easy train ride away from Rome. Traveling from Viterbo was simple and relatively low stress. The office staff for USAC was super friendly and always willing to help. All the Italian college students are really excited to have us there, and we all hung out together at Lucio's (one of the awesome bars in Viterbo). The classes are taught in English, but you really get a chance to practice your Italian in this town; most people in town don't speak English, though almost everyone on campus does. The field trips were so much fun, and definitely worth the time and a few early mornings.

Going to Viterbo was one of the best decisions I've ever made, and I made friends in this program that will last a life time. I already can't wait to go back. It was a life changing experience that I think everyone should take advantage of!

The classes felt a little easier than the classes at my home university.

I was the only student to live with a host mom-- and she was great, but I lived alone with her, pretty far from the other students, so I felt a little isolated. I would have prefered to have a roommate.

Viterbo is wonderful. Most of the shopkeepers and restaurant proprietors don't speak English, though most of the young people do. The city is beautiful, and the location is perfect Italy. I really got a chance to practice my Italian, and everyone was really nice about it.

I never ever felt unsafe walking in Viterbo, even walking home from the bars at 2:30 in the morning. It was really nice.