University Studies Abroad Consortium participants University Studies Abroad Consortium participants

USAC GERMANY: Lüneburg - European Studies & Sustainability

A Great Semester in Lüneburg

I absolutely loved my semester in Lüneburg. The staff on site is so helpful and friendly, they are good at their jobs and want you to have a good time. Classes could have some work, but I learned so much in one semester. I was in Beginning German with no experience, so naturally it was hard at first, but after only a few months I was able to travel around Germany and Austria comfortably. It was incredible how fast the language came once I was there. You have plenty of time to travel on your own, and many opportunities through the program and university as well. Housing was great as well, I loved my host family. They helped me integrate in the culture and practice German. I only wish I had made more of an effort to meet Germans. If it had been a bit warmer (it was winter), this would have been the perfect semester.

Social Life:
It's easy to hang out with only USAC students, I recommend meeting Germans.

Great place, bad organization

I love Lüneburg, my host family, most of the people in my program, but I'm not a fan of how USAC has organized this program. We are at a University that doesn't begin till a month and half after ours starts. Our interaction with the Germans is for a short period of time. Also, the orientation was horribly planned. It took three days and they still had us go out and do some complicated tasks in a foreign language with hardly any assistance. The residence directors are very nice, and I can tell they mean well and try to help out the students, but they are not the best communicators which makes this whole process a little more overwhelming. On the academic side, the teachers for the non language class are not very organized, and there classes require a lot of work and the assignments are very vague. It's confusing to know what exactly should be done and classes are once a week which makes it even more hard to know what is expected.
I love being here in Germany, and I am incredibly thankful for the experience. I just don't like how this particular program was organized. At the same time, that isn't ruining my time here. It's just something I think could be improved.

• University Studies Abroad Consortium responded to this review October 19, 2016 at 4:15 PM

Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you love Lüneburg! We appreciate hearing how our programs can be improved. Feel free to email me with more specifics at daniellelongley@unr.edu as we would definitely like to smooth out any organizational issues you experienced for our future students.