University Studies Abroad Consortium participants University Studies Abroad Consortium participants

USAC COSTA RICA: San Ramón - Life & Health Sciences

Best thing I've Ever Done

I picked this program because its affordable and related to my course. Traveling alone has opened my eyes and that has been one of the best things I gained from this experience.

Small town with big experiences

I could easily say studying abroad was one of the greatest experiences of my life. It taught me about cultural acceptance, how to speak another language, dealing with different types of people, how to get out of and stay out of my comfort zone, and much more. San Ramon is an excellent, out-of-the-way location with a very small-town and community feel to it. Non-locals are few and far between, whereas the locals are very accepting of us and willing to show their language and culture. The classes were not so difficult that I spent all of my time stuck in my bedroom studying, but plenty challenging enough to give me a broad depth of the topic and language. We still had plenty of time to go travel on the weekends to the far reaches of the Costa Rican countryside and attractions.

USAC was also very accommodating for housing, classes, and any problem that arose. The on-site staff were only a phone-call or a short walk away to help answer or solve any problems that came up, from medical problems to helping book a hostel. I also had an internship in the hospital with the local orthopedic surgeon, and was able to experience many surgeries as well as how the Costa Rican healthcare system truly works. I strongly recommend an internship. I also was able to take 3 upper division biology classes (9 credits) plus some language while abroad. You won't set yourself behind by studying abroad. I very strongly recommend studying abroad (in San Ramon) to anyone and everyone. I think it is always possible for everyone no matter their life situation.

The classes were challenging, but not so difficult that I couldn't enjoy the culture, go out to the bars some nights, and travel around the country on the weekends.

My host family was awesome! They barely spoke English, which forced me to really use the language and become fluent or next to it (alongside the language class). They were interested in talking with me and sharing their ways. They even took me to family parties/get-togethers and even took me to their family farm out in the countryside.

They are very good at getting you immersed into the culture and language. Living with a host family was an excellent way to learn the customs and Spanish language. The locals enjoy speaking with you, as well as the USAC staff. The language can be intensive, too, so you can really learn and get a solid grasp on it, no matter what level you are at.

The USAC staff was very, very helpful with everything. The on-site staff was only a single phone call or short walk away from solving or helping with every problem or question I may have had. Very well run.