University Studies Abroad Consortium participants University Studies Abroad Consortium participants

USAC COSTA RICA: Puntarenas - Ecological Studies

Pura Vida in Puntarenas

I studied abroad in Puntarenas for two semesters for the academic year 2012-2013. In this year I earned about 75% of my Spanish minor. I took classes for Latin American dance, cooking, and culture. I also took marine biology which was amazing because you would learn about things in class and then actually get to take field trips to snorkel and go tide pooling and see the organisms in real life. The people in this town and country are just the most amazing, welcoming people and I met a ton of other students and travelers while I lived here. We traveled every weekend through public transportation to differents cities and beaches all over the country, and even in Panama and Nicaragua. I would recommend this program to ANYONE, it completely changed my life. Because of this, I changed my major to International Business so I could continue traveling and learning new cultures and languages.

The month I lived in a Tropical Paradise

This past summer I got to study abroad in Puntarenas and it was the summer of a lifetime. I had a great experience. I made lasting friendships with other USAC students from around the world. My favorite part of this program was the field trips provided for all students. We traveled around the country to volcanoes and islands. It was amazing. I really enjoyed the courses I took. I studied Tropical ecology and conservation biology and my local professors were by far some of the best professors I have every had. Overall I had a great experience and would do it again in a heartbeat.