University Studies Abroad Consortium participants University Studies Abroad Consortium participants

USAC CHILE: Santiago-Latin American & Anthropology Studies

My Experience Abroad

I have taken in consideration the cost and opportunities before participating in this program. I say, it was a challenging, diverse and unique experience. I had fun too, especially when we traveled to Patagonia.

USAC Santiago: Simply Incredible

Studying abroad was immensely beneficial. Studying abroad allowed me to gain a certain confidence in my own ability to survive and thrive independently. Studying abroad with USAC in Santiago was a calculated decision that I made based on comparisons I made with other abroad organizations. I compared price, support from the program, and optional activities offered. USAC was the best option for me and I'm glad that I chose it. The staff on-site were incredible, and helped me get through the culture shock that everyone goes through when they study abroad. USAC offered a variety of optional field trips on weekends to places that I would have no idea about. I was able to visit Moon Valley in northern Chile, where it hasn’t rained for hundreds of years and the Mars Rover was tested because of similarities in terrain. I had the opportunity to go sand-boarding on the sand dunes of Moon Valley. I was able to take an oil painting class in Aconcagua valley from a famous artist. I also took the chance to play soccer with my host brothers in an organized league in the center of Santiago. Santiago is also unique because it's the only city that offers flights to Easter Island. Of course I took advantage of that opportunity to visit the most isolated place in the world.

Great professors in an integrating city!

USAC, Andres Bello was awesome at planning trips (weekend), supplying information, etc.

I also loved my professors!

Decent program

I'm currently studying in Santiago through this program. I love the geography and beautiful country of Chile. I also love how kind and accepting my host family is, and they are willing to help me understand them and their way of life.

Santiago is perfect for just about any type of person. Every Wednesday, "gringos" can get into clubs if you're into the night life. If you'd rather go alone, there are tons of museums. It is close to other cultural centers like Valparaiso, only an hour and a half away. It has plenty of cerros and mountains to climb, and you could likely go to the beach every weekend!

The program offers opportunities to volunteer while you're here, something that I wanted to do more of. It also offers club activities through Universidad Andres Bello, the host university, in which you can interact with locals.

The courses overall aren't very challenging. Since so many people take weekend trips, that is probably a good thing to most, but since I'm a nerd, it doesn't work as well in my favor.

I've had a few problems with the program administration being too slow to respond to certain things. It's part of the Chilean culture to some extent, but when it takes days to respond to a simple question, it can be frustrating.

Overall, this is a positive experience that I would recommend to anyone! It is the perfect way to get to know something about Latin American culture with awesome slang words -- cachai? It was worth every penny and was superbacan!

• University Studies Abroad Consortium responded to this review October 19, 2016 at 4:24 PM

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad you love Santiago! We appreciate hearing how our programs can be improved. Feel free to email me with more specifics at daniellelongley@unr.edu