Study Abroad and Exchange at UC

Location

Australia: Canberra

Description

Located in Australias capital city, the University of Canberra offers semester and year abroad programs for those wanting to specialize in professional preparation. The university specializes in hands on experience alongside traditional classroom lectures and seminars for 3,000 different subjects and disciplines to provide a well rounded experience. Study abroad students will be welcomed in Canberra during orientation week, topped off with a weekend trip to Sydney and the Blue Mountains or Manly Beach. Other trips include to the beach for surfing lessons and mountains for hiking and wildlife. The study abroad office hosts a Buddy Program to pair incoming study abroad students with local UC students. Local student ambassadors also organize trips and activities like hiking, camping, cultural events, and even a halloween party. The University of Canberra is culturally diverse and welcoming for students curious about Australian culture and encouraging for students' academic and career paths.

Highlights

1. Kangaroos and beautiful native parrots live in abundance on campus!! UC has a beautiful campus, with many outdoor areas, where you can see Australia’s beautiful nature right at your doorstep.

2. A higher percentage of Australians, and access to Australian culture. At UC and in Canberra you will meet many people, and many Aussies, rather than just being one of a number of International students like in bigger cities such as Sydney and Melbourne.

3. Living in the National Capital will give you insight into Australia’s history and our place in this international world. Further, it will give you a unique perspective on your area of study.

4. We have highly supportive and passionate staff, both widely across the university, and particularly in our Study Abroad office. We will help you settle in at UC, and we are always looking to improve your experience.

5. We are located close to Sydney, the mountains and surf beaches- and just 3hrs from the whitest sand beach in the World! You will have ample opportunity to travel and experience Australia on the weekends and during your mid semester break-in addition to our activity packed and affordable office planned trips.

6. Our Facebook group and Buddy and Ambassador programs provide many opportunities to make the most of your time here as you plan travel and activities throughout your stay. You will "meet" other Study Abroad students and local Aussies online before you even arrive!

10 Overall Experience

A Great Experience

This exchange program is one of the best experiences I've ever had! If you ever get the chance to do it, DEFINITELY take that chance! You will not regret it. So many wonderful memories will be made here! The people are great, the UC Staff is very helpful & they work hard to provide us with everything we need as exchange students. This program will let you explore and learn so much about yourself, about Australian culture & life, and it will definitely help you grow as a person. It's a once in a lifetime experience, and think of all the great stories you'll get to take back home with you as well :)
One thing I've learned is, people complain about how Canberra is boring, however, if you know where to find the fun, you won't have enough time in your schedule for everything. I know this because that's what my experience was like. My schedule is super packed with schoolwork, fun & exciting events, trips, and PARTIES! So don't let anyone tell you that you can't have fun here! I'm from New York, one of the most exciting city's in the world, and I'm telling you right now, if Canberra is anything, it's not boring.

9 Overall Experience

The best semester!

Being exchange student in Canberra has been amazing experience! I love Aussies relaxed -no worries- culture, it's so easy to find new friends! It's also awesome that ambassadors has organised trips and events to us! That wouldn't never happen in Finland! Also all the events that uni has organized has been well-organized and planned.

9 Overall Experience

An Experience of a Lifetime

The opportunity to be a part of the UC Exchange Program has been one of the best decisions of my life! Canberra itself get's a reputation for not being as interesting as other Australian cities, but really, it is what YOU make of it! The city didn't matter to me in the end because once I got here, there were so many activities offered it was difficult to keep track. Coming from New York City I was a little worried that I might be bored or unimpressed...I was so happily surprised. The academics are easy to keep up with and there's enough time in between to enjoy your time in Australia. The staff at the Study Abroad office are so helpful in helping you find your feet and even throughout the exchange, they're always there for any sort of support. Because of the events planned through the Study Abroad office it was so easy to make friends and I know that I am going to leave this program having made friends for a lifetime. Overall, my Exchange to UC has been an overwhelming experience filled with so many laughs, unforgettable moments and a really fulfilling cultural education.