Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore Header Image Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore Header Image

Spend your Summer at Università Cattolica!

Unforgettable lifetime experience!

In the days between 16 and 27 June 2014 and 14 and July 25, 2014, I attended the Summer Program in English "Agribusiness and Food Sciences" organized by the Catholic University of Piacenza. The great passion for Italian food was instrumental in my decision to attend a summer school in Italy mainly aimed at young foreign students. The entire Summer Program consisted of two sessions that I have attended driven by enthusiasm, curiosity, desire to learn, but, even more, humanly, to live new experiences in contact with different cultures.
During the first session entitled The Heart of Italy: Food Production tradition, I was able to deepen my knowledge about the true reality of the Italian food industry. A well structured course, that got me involved and passionate entirely from the first to the last lesson. Dr. Cena during his lectures entitled The Italian Food Tradition and the Mediterranean Diet has clearly outlined the theme of human nutrition and proper nutrition focusing on features and benefits of the Mediterranean diet.
During the lessons of prof. Tarozzi; “The Italian Red Gold: History, Tradition, Biodiversity, Cultivation and Research” and Dr. Sandei’s "Excellence and Innovation to make quality: Tomato processing and Quality attributes of Italian Tomatoes", it was clearly illustrated the history of the tomato, the origins, variants with their characteristics, quality standards, the steps and techniques of cultivation & harvesting, and the processing chain. Both teachers often underlined the importance of product quality; In fact, the quality is seen as essential lever to compete in the global market. At the end of this short training course focused on the tomato we visited the Consortium Ortofrutticolo Padano (CO.PA.DOR) based in Parma, one of the largest and most modern tomato processing companies operating in Europe, with a capacity of about 300,000 tons of fresh produce per year worked. After a brief presentation of the company, the employees graciously guided us inside the building illustrating all stages of the chain in creating the tomato sauce: from raw materials to bottling. The day ended with a visit to the museum of the Tomato and Pasta at Colecchio (PR).
The second part of the first session was opened by the lecture of prof. Prandini "Italian Heavy Pig, production for PDO salami, production and processing" who outlined the entire process of production of salami DOP: herd of cattle to the maturing of salami. During the lessons of prof. Cappa was exposed in detail how the production of two Italian excellence: Parmigiano Reggiano and Grana Padano. In this regard, it was stressed the close relationship that exists between product and territory, the importance of soil and climatic conditions that give uniqueness to the cheese. Moreover, wide clarity was made on identity card of both cheeses, the production rules and the role of the consortium.The first session of the Summer Program ended with visit to Colla SpA at Cadeo (PC) where we read all the stages of the process of production of Grana Padano. Inside the immense stock of seasoning, a co-worker, through a form of Grana Padano sample, we also explained the system of traceability. The next day was devoted to visiting the Salumificio Nure Srl where it was verbally explained the production process of the salume coppa, typical Italian salami, taking at the same time viewing of the machinery used in the production process of the sausage.
The second session of the Summer Program entitled The Global Wine Market: trends and strategies. One session focused on agricultural legislation and wine. During the lessons of prof. Canali we discussed the CAP (Common Agricultural Policy) from its origins under the Treaty of Rome (1957) to the most current reforms: McSharry Reform (1992), Agenda 2000 (1997), Reform of Medium Term - Fischler (2003/2007) the reform of the CAP after 2013. I have considered these lessons very interesting, also the teacher gave us very practical examples and clear with reference to the current context. Prof. Rama during lectures entitled "Supply, demand and trade of wine: Italian, EU and world markets" focused on statistical data about the production, the difference between production and consumption of wine in the major producing countries, the export of wine throughout the world. From his explanations showed that Italy is the largest exporter of wine. During the lessons of prof. Ciolli we pretended to be sommeliers! After having explained in detail the process of wine production and the production areas of all major Italian wines the teacher gave us practical advice backed by detailed explanations about the main rules to appreciate style with wine and sparkling wine. During the last lesson we tasted some DOC and DOCG Italian wines . The tasting was accompanied by 'illustration of combinations of raw materials and dishes listed.
During the last lesson of prof. Virtuani we talked about strategies to better communicate the quality of the wine to potential consumers. The session concluded with a visit to Azienda Agricola Fratelli Berlucchi Srl in Borgonato Cortefranca (Brescia) where there has been shown the process and techniques of bottling and maturation of the sparkling wine. The next day we visited the Cantine Marchesi di Barolo at Barolo (Cuneo) where there has been illustrated the history of Barolo wine and its peculiarities directly by the entrepreneur.
Besides the many notions acquired in agribusiness this experience was for me an opportunity to meet Colombians, Americans, Canadians with whom I spoke English and Spanish for a month even though I was in Italy! I learned so much of their culture and it was nice to compare the Italian culture with them. We are all still in constant contact, so I will have to meet my new friends again!

An unforgettable experience - to relive.

Erika Lopez
Cattolica University’s student.

Best decision of my life!

My time in Italy was like a dream. From all the wonderful places I visited to the amazing people I met, to the culture, food and hospitality this trip could not have gone any better. I look very much forward to visiting again. Thank you.

An amazing and educational experience

I had an amazing time taking the wine and industry trends class in Piacenza Italy. The classes were educational, interesting, and fun. The people in my class were great to hang-out with, there were many social events planned, and I enjoyed travelling to other cities on the weekends. Overall, this is a course I would definitely recommend to others to take.

Italian film and storytelling

The course in Italian cinema was fantastic, thanks largely to Mara and her experience and passion. She shared her love of Italian films and we couldn't help but be engaged. Her and Ilenia's writing expertise and support rounded out the course and gave me a great foundation for screenwriting and adaptation.

Fun Experience

Living in Milan, Italy was definitely a wonderful experience. Attending school at UCSC was really fun and different from the other colleges I have attended. I was able to take courses that could possibly benefit me in the future. Learning different cultural backgrounds from other students was a plus because I was able to share the same experiences with them. Another benefit of staying in Milan was being able to travel to different cities in Italy. This experience will be a life long memory.

Different

It was different from any other experience, it was amazing. I made a lot of international friends in just two weeks. The course was very fruitful, I learnt a lot about business from the italian perspective. Being part of this program made me become a truly different person. More mature and more open to different idea. Thank you :)

A good summer

I really liked the way classes are taught, so different from back home, at UCSC lectures are more interactive and you get to learn way more. People are really nice inside the university, but our accommodation was really far and we had lots of trouble getting around. Still I've got to experience a lot of the Italian culture.

Finding out what I am made of

My experience started of rocky and I had a lot of challenges throughout and I traveled and did things on my own because I didn't come with friends and hard to make good friends in two weeks. I didn't have much support was surviving on my own but I did have some help from staff thank you for that. This experience showed me what all I can do with the skills and gifts I possess and inspired me to possibly start a business someday or at least know I have what I need to do it except a brilliant idea.

Bad teacher

My first teacher was excellent, I´m glad that I had the opportunity to met a real Italian entrepeneur and his brewing company. On the other hand, teacher Ambrogia wasn´t a good teacher, she didn´t even gives us the syllabus with the method of her evaluation grading and her classess were really of poor quality.