United Planet Header Image United Planet Header Image

Volunteer In Costa Rica - United Planet - 1-12 Weeks

My trip in Costa Rica was an amazing experience!

This trip in Costa Rica was my first trip alone really far away from my home. And for a first time it was extraordinary, it has increased my desire to travel and to give my help where it's needed. I have met some wonderful people from all other the world which really helped me opening myself to others. The staff at the project site was really nice and the work was constructive and interesting! My host family was really kind and amiable, they introduced me to their way of life which was fascinating! I will always keep them in my heart. I have seen some beautiful places and the memory of it will stay in my mind forever! I had some bad moods but now I realize that it's totally normal and it's part of the great adventure of travelling abroad to unknown places!
My trip in Costa Rica was an amazing experience, I have waited for this for so long and now I'm really happy.

This experience made a huge impact on me

I loved every moment with the children . Even though I didn't speak much Spanish , we were able to communicate with our hearts. I will miss those kids and it was hard to leave. This experience made a huge impact on me and changed my outlook on the world and me as a person . I grew so much from this experience.

This trip has made such a big impact on my life

This trip has made such a big impact on my life. Learning a new culture and lifestyle teaches you so many things. I went into the trip with a completely open heart and mind. I can definitely say every piece of my heart was filled by the hard work for a good cause and just learning different things. It's one thing to read about a culture in a book or online, but to actually go there and experience it is a whole different story. It was so hard for me to leave, but when I got back, it really made me consider what I truly wanted to be doing with my life. It was truly an amazing experience and I am so hopeful that I will get to go back soon.

I could not be more thankful for my experience

Although the first few weeks proved to be a bit difficult as I found myself in a brand new situation, I could not be more thankful for my experience. The other volunteers and I got along super well and the children were incredible. My host family made my experience something I won't ever forget and I'll always save a place in my prayers and heart for them.

My expectations were exceeded

The children were incredible. So inspiring and welcoming. I felt my trip was a vacation for my soul.

I was interested in their unique Romanian program so I chose this program.

My accommodations were a five out of five.

Four weeks of incredible experience

I learned so much just from being with the kids, about the culture and the lives they live. it was an amazing experience.

I had a sociology class in school that exposed me to this type of work and UP's program seemed like a unique opportunity so I chose this program.

Accommodations was a five out of five.

Incredible people, incredible place.

I loved the people.

This experience was very eye-opening

Going to a new country allowed me to learn more about the people living there, their habits, their culture, and their unique lifestyle. It gave me a different "reality" to live in, other than the one that I was accustomed to prior to traveling. Not only that, but this experience made me realize something about myself in the process; that I love to learn. It reinforced my belief in traveling, and gave me the strength and confidence that I will need to continue on to my future travels.

I had an amazing time and just a heart full of love for those people and that place.

I really loved Costa Rica.I just can't say it enough that I loved working with the children and staff at both projects.

I enjoyed most - being able to surround myself with children and meeting so many wonderful people.

I found challenging- getting used to the food and settling into the culture at first

Impact -- it solidified what I want to do in life, use dentistry as a mission field in latin america and to serve in Hispanic populations and just showed me how huge my love for humanity is.

Community Impact:
Excellent: Costa Rica is the place to go for everything. I had a blast going to the mountains, the city, the beaches. I truly enjoyed myself. Also, Panama was marvelous as well.

excellent

Feeling that I made an impact

My quest in Costa Rica was one of the most horizon-spanding experiences of my life to date. On top of improving my Spanish speaking skills, it also introduced me to a whole new culture and way of life. On a smaller level, working at a school with young children helped improve my social skills and developed close relationships with the teachers and students that I worked with. I would definitely consider doing another quest with united planet and discovered that I have a passion for going abroad and immersing myself in other cultures.

I chose this because I wanted to improve my Spanish.

Accommodations was a 5 out of 5.

Family time abroad.

I had a great experience in Costa Rica. What made my experience amazing was my host family. I have learned more Spanish in the four weeks that I lived with them than I have in my whole college career. I would definitely do another volunteer quest through United Planet I just wish is was less expensive. It's difficult to come up with the money for the project fees and travel expenses. Therefore I cannot go very often.

A cultural experience to remember

Costa Rica is a beautiful country. I enjoyed the people I met, my first host family was amazing. The second was nice as well.

Expanding my horizons abroad.

Working with the children at Escuela Morazon and forming lasting connections with them and feeling that I made an impact at the school in the short time I was there.

5 Weeks in Cartago, Costa Rica!

I volunteered in Cartago, Costa Rica for 5 weeks this past summer. I stayed with a host family, who I was very lucky to have. They had wifi, filtered water, I had a comfortable sized room, and there was always variety with what she fed us. Monday through Friday my roommate and I would take a short and safe walk to the orphanage. Once there we helped with the immense amount of laundry they had, helped prepare lunch for the kids, or would take them to the park or school.We would also just talk or play with them. After the orphanage we would walk around the town, grab a snack at a local cafe, and enjoy the culture. On weekends we would take excursions to the beach and rainforest's throughout the country. I met a lot of great and interesting people on my trip. Not very many people spoke English in the area I lived so my spanish improved. Overall it was a great experience and I can't wait to do a program like this again!

Solidified My Life Goals in Costa Rica!

Costa Rica was amazing! I loved every second with the kids! I was a little surprised at how similar they were to my students. I felt a connection to several of them very quickly, and they reciprocated as well. I made great friends and connections with the other volunteers, which was the biggest and warmest surprise of all. It was so nice to meet people from around the world and different circumstances. I got to travel some and see and do new things. I went to the most beautiful beach, Uvita, and the "whales tail". It is this part of rocky beach that sticks out into the ocean that we walked on and out to at low tide. It was amazing. We also went to the river and went swimming in the pools under a waterfall surrounded by deep jungle! I also slide down the waterfall a few times; it was incredible. I went zip lining in a jungle the day before I left. It was gorgeous and unlike anything I have ever experienced. We had the most fantastic time repelling down waterfalls, hiking, and riding long lines high through the trees. I ended up doing every single thing I hoped for and had listed in my head before going. It solidified some life goals and ideas I have been developing for a while now. I am so happy and for the first time in a long time I am really excited about the unknown future. I can't wait to see where this life goes!