United Planet Header Image United Planet Header Image

Volunteer Abroad in New Zealand - United Planet - 6 or 12 Months

The 3 Kiwis

I am having an amazing experience volunteering in New Zealand. I am able to do volunteer work that correlates closely to my career field. It has provided me with work experiences that will be advantageous when applying for future jobs. UP provided great support as I was preparing for my volunteer experience and while they keep in contact with me on a regular basis, honestly I feel their usefulness is done now that I am in my host country. My host organization is where I go when I have questions. I understand that the money I gave helps my host organization do what they do, but it still seems like a heap of money.
I do wish there would be an opportunity to meet up with everyone in my "year" to learn how their volunteer experiences went and what amazing things they learned.

Community Impact:
I came to an English speaking country so I had to take English lessons which seemed a little silly to me since I come from an English speaking country. It would have been great if there was an opportunity to learn Te Reo Maori instead of having to take unnecessary English lessons.

Experience the Kiwi Life

Living and working in New Zealand is an experience of a lifetime. United Planet provides a variety of options -- although many of them are camp related which I found unfortunate. I would have liked to be in a school setting and found out only a few weeks before leaving that I would be placed in a camp. I went anyway and had the time of my life but wouldn't have committed to this location had I known earlier.

The logistics of the program are flawless. Lots of in country support and check ins. Good preparation program. It is expensive but the amount of support your receive accounts for that.