United Planet Header Image United Planet Header Image

Volunteer Abroad in Nepal - United Planet - 1-12 Weeks

If I ever think of doing volunteering again, I will definitely go back!

The organization found an excellent project where I taught Deaf Nepalese students because I'm Deaf too. I immensely enjoyed working with them and be a role model as a Deaf teacher. While we communicated differently as I use American Sign Language (ASL) and they use Nepalese Sign Language (NSL), they remarkably mastered to learn ASL quickly because they are educated to learn three languages: Nepalese, English, and Nepalese Sign Language. As time progressed, I learned to use NSL to communicate with them.
As a Deaf role model and teacher for the DeafNepalese students, I believe they are inspired to know they can succeed after they complete their education. If I ever think of doing volunteering again during my next summer break, I will definitely come back to work with the Deaf Nepalese students.

One word that can sum up what I cannot begin to put into writing, "wonder"!

It is simply impossible to describe one´s experience when its lived on so many different levels, I could spend weeks talking about my contact with the culture, religion, places I've seen etc.. Yet one constant remains, one word that can sum up what I cannot begin to put into writing, "wonder". A truly lived experience depends fully on the mentality which you adopt when making the decision to volunteer or travel abroad, if you are open and receptive to the environment you are about to be immersed in, then that environment itself will provide you the most complete experience you could wish for. The saying remains <> and thus <>.

I learned much more from them then I could have every anticipated

My three weeks in Nepal really flew by. I met the most amazing people while I was at [the project]. The staff were fantastic and I got to meet people from all walks of life from monks to ambassadors. I even met the granddaughter of the first person to summit Mt. Everest. And yet out of all those people, the most amazing people I had the honor and privilege of meeting were the children at [the orphanage]. Whether it was me teaching them about dental hygiene or them teaching me how to speak Nepali I enjoyed every second of my time at the orphanage. From singing Kal Ho Na Ho to playing kabaddi we were always doing something. I learned much more from them then I could have ever anticipated and that made my time in absolutely phenomenal.

My passion for advocacy and social justice is what initially attracted me to participate in my quest. I was ready to focus my time, energy and passion using my background in education and social justice around strategizing ways of educating communities and uplifting survivors of sexual abuse - in essence, I was ready to make an impacting change on the community (within realistic bounds). But, what ended up happening, was that the community of children, caretakers, and complete strangers that I met by chance along the way actually changed ME in ways that I never imagined going in. I was taught about humanity and what it means to really be a human on this planet, merely through the every day kindness, generosity and hospitality that was offered to me on a daily basis. I realized in the busy life that I live back in the United States, these basic qualities are so underrated, but if practiced are wildly influential in attaining a fulfilling, happy life. Not only for yourself, but for fellow man.

There is nothing greater then learning and growing from others

There is nothing greater then learning and growing from others. This entire experience I believed I was going to go help these people and better their lives. In fact they helped me and bettered my life. To meet people with so much less then you have and to see the routine of there life is an eye opener. For kids that have been treated unfairly through life and function in there society and to continue to play, laugh and dance was truly inspiring. The hardest thing about the trip was the language barrier. At a lot of points I felt starved for conversation and I couldn't wait to speak English to my full capabilities.

Volunteer Abroad in Nepal - United Planet - 2-12 Weeks

The quest for me was a lifelong goal namely to volunteer at an orphanage, that became a reality. The whole experience was incredibly rewarding and having support from start to finish was very reassuring especially going somewhere like Nepal on my own.

Amazing!

I met numerous locals during my stay and as a result I was invited to a traditional Nepal wedding, as well as a birthday party.

I was interested in volunteering at the Counseling Center in Nepal. I felt my skills and past experience dealing with females and young children who were victims of abuse, and sexual assault would be a great "fit" for me. My goals were to meet new people, experience a new culture, and work with women who have a common interest. I will be retiring in December 2013, therefore volunteering will be an ideal transition!

My accommodations were excellent!

Amazing!

My trip to Nepal was the best experience of my life. I was fully immersed in the culture and was part of their daily routine, from walking the children to school, to sharing and preparing meals, to helping the children with English and homework and visiting local temples. I took daily walks and hikes throughout the community and I was always greeted with smiles and invitations to share meals and tea. The scenery in Nepal was breath taking and I will never forget the calm and tranquility I felt during my mountain hikes.

Fantastic experience with great support all throughout

Social Tours was AWESOME! Binita was tremendous support and the whole staff was friendly and helpful.

I was interested in Nepal because I had heard so many wonderful things about that country. It is rich in history, religion, and culture. I found it very alluring and I wanted to immerse myself in it as much as possible. I hoped to make a difference in the kids lives at the orphanage, and give them some sort of happiness and hope for their future.

Loved my host family like my own. They were so helpful, kind, and supportive.

Fantastic experience. Great support and help throughout the whole process

Going to Nepal was a culture shock for the first few days but after that it was such a amazing experience. My host family was better then I could have ever imagined and all the children at the orphanage were so sweet and loving. This experience will forever be close to my heart, and I hope I can continue to visit the orphanage on a yearly basis.

The people were the best part!

I enjoyed every moment playing with the children, studying with them, seeing them making fun of each other and laughing.

My host family was very warm, friendly and helpful. We would sit in the bedroom around the heater, chatting about our lives and showing each other photos of families and friends; we would go to the balcony, make a fire, and have barbecue together for dinner. They really treated me as family and gave me the warmth of family when I was far from home.

The people were the best part!

I had a very enjoyable experience in Kathmandu, Nepal. The best part I loved about Nepal were the people there. Despite the relatively challenging living condition, all people I met in Nepal were so lovely, nice, sincere, and so satisfied with their lives, especially the children in the orphanage. I just could not help falling in love with the children - they were cute, happy, smart, free of sorrow; their bright eyes and warm smiles had driven away all of my sadness. I enjoyed every moment playing with them, studying with them, seeing them making fun of each other and laughing. I could tell that they also liked me very much - on my last day, one of the boys came to me and gave me a paper rose, a paper butterfly and a greetings card with a poem written by himself, which touched my heart very deeply. I really hope I can have the chance to see them again.

I fell in love with the children

My most memorable experience was getting to interact with the local population.

I chose this program because I was impressed with the volunteer work and opportunities.

My accommodations was a 5 out of 5.

Unforgettable teachers

I enjoyed everything about my experience but I enjoyed interacting with the teachers in Yangrima Boarding School the most. They made my time in Nepal unforgettable.

I was intrigued by the volunteer options which were English friendly that's why I chose this program.

My Accommodations was a 5 out of 5.

An experience that will always be treasured

Living with the host family was very enjoyable. Meeting the school children was a rare opportunity that I will always treasure.

I chose this program because I really wanted to visit Nepal.

My accommodations was a 5 out of 5.

Unforgettable teachers in Nepal.

My experience in Nepal was more than I ever expected it could be. I met people who are now my best friends. Living in Nepal helped me to find myself and discover who I want to be back in America. My life has changed because of the students I met and the teachers I met. Life is about who you meet and how you respond to them. The students and the teachers treated me as family and made me feel like I was home. It was wonderful to eat only food that was taken from the earth and not have electricity for two months. In short, I couldn't have had a better experience and I would encourage anyone to travel and learn about other cultures. But most of all, travel and learn about yourself.

Incredible, Impactful Quest

I find it difficult to express in words the amazing experience I had volunteering with United Planet in Peru. I took a short, 10 day trip, and had the time of my life. Everything about the program met or exceeded my expectations, and I can confidently say that I made an impact in the local community there.

Working with the United Planet coordinators was easy and took all the stress out of planning my trip. They were responsive to my questions, and followed up with me in a timely manner. They also provided virtual trainings online for me before my trip that answered many questions that I didn't even know I had!

My host family in Cuzco was very sweet and they had two young daughters that were a joy to interact with and practice my Spanish with (and help them with their English). They provided me with three very good, authentic meals per day, but I did get the chance to experience the local restaurants and nightlife in the city as well.

Mafred, the United Planet coordinator in Peru is the owner of a Spanish school in Cuzco. Here, I got the chance to make friends with volunteers from all around the world. This was super interesting and not something I was expecting. Manfred and Niko, who worked with Manfred, were so much fun and helped me in so many ways during my time there. Oh, and the Spanish lessons were top notch too.

I had the chance to volunteer at an all girls orphanage that was just a short bus ride from my host family and the Spanish school. The conditions were pretty bad, but that's why they need volunteers, right? All of the kids were so sweet. United Planet advised us to bring along activities for them to do, so I went to the dollar store and bought a bunch of school supplies, educational workbooks, and some games. We had a blast and I could really tell that the girls enjoyed having someone there to care about them and interact with them in a meaningful way.

Along with volunteering, United Planet provides excursions to sites around your destination. I got to see all of the Inca ruins around Cuzco, museums, churches, and...oh yeah...Machu Picchu!!! Riding the train through the Andes to Aguas Calientes at the base of MP was like something out of a movie. Actually exploring MP and climbing Huana Picchu was just indescribably incredible. Easily one of the best days of my life.

I would highly recommend United Planet for anyone who is looking to travel and make a difference in the world. I plan on taking another trip this year with United Planet.

Oh, and if you do go to Peru, make sure to order Cuy. ;)

Volunteer Experience:
My trip was strictly a volunteer adventure, but I did take Spanish lessons that were very good. I went in speaking very little Spanish and left being able to put sentences together after the first week.

Wonderful Experience

This program is absolutely top notch and extremely well organized. I loved my home stay and have remained friends with the family. All aspects of my trip were planned out perfectly and it was an experience I will always cherish. I plan to do another United Planet volunteer program this summer in Peru. They are the best!

I strongly recommend this program.

This was the first time I had volunteered abroad. Safe to say I was pretty anxious about going so far away by myself. But from the moment I arrived in Nepal to the moment I left I felt like I was with family. Everyone connected with United Planet was truly interested in my welfare. The experience I had with United Planet cannot be put into words all I can say is that everyone should be able to have this type of adventure.

Paula

This experience is something I will carry with me for the rest of my life

The children at the safe house were ALWAYS wanting to play. They were the most joyful and playful kids I have ever met, and it was impossible to not smile when I was surrounded by them. Even children that were up against overwhelming odds and traumatic experiences, their smile and attitudes were intoxicating. I loved everything about the center and what the center stood for in the fight to end sexual abuse in Nepal and around the world. It was truly inspiring beyond measure. My absolutely favorite moment was teaching the girls how to do cartwheels and handstands, and spreading the love I have for gymnastics to them. They learned SO quickly, and it made my heart SO happy! I came home with a new perspective on life. Every time I coach gymnastics now, I will always think of the girls at the center and their bright smiles as they did flips and laughed constantly. This experience is something I will carry with me for the rest of my life.

The whole process with was excellent and clear

Every step of the journey was well organized and as expected from the orientation through UP to the farewell dinner. Staff and girls at the center greeted me warmly and always treated me like a welcome guest. Never able to help with cooking or cleaning felt a bit awkward but I came to understand that this is their custom for volunteers who visit "guests are like God" so I adjusted but it still left me questioning my role there in terms of how I could help. Teaching yoga with the girls, making friendship bracelets, helping with homework, coloring, and walking with them to school or dance class became my activities with the girls. I learned a lot from them and greatly appreciated their kindness and hospitality, but not sure I offered much in return. I learned a great deal about patience, tolerance, and acceptance.

By far the greatest experience of my life.

The most challenging part was the culture shock. I love learning about other cultures and immersing myself in their lifestyle, so I thought I would have no problem with Nepal. I was so wrong. Culture shock hit me hard but adjusting to it was such a rewarding feeling and experience. This quest opened me up to how a majority of the world lives.

excellent

Community Impact:
I loved seeing all of the temples and locations in Nepal that I got the chance to see.

excellent

I'd do it all over again

My most memorable experience is the opportunity to meet people and learn a new culture.

I chose the program because I speak the language.

My accommodations was 5 out of 5.

Great People

My memorable experience is the trip to Machu Pichu that was spectacular.

I chose this program because I speak Spanish.

My accommodations was a 5 out of 5

Great people and and spectacular places

I thought the overall experience was great. Spanish lessons at the language school were very helpful. My homestay was definitely a high point. Great family and they made me feel very welcomed. Work project was good. I would recommend at least 2 weeks. My 10 day stay (including travel) was probably too short.