United Planet Header Image United Planet Header Image

Volunteer Abroad in Indonesia - United Planet - 6 or 12 Months

"An Unparalleled Adventure"

I loved the people. One of my projects was teaching at a very poor school so it could be extremely challenging at times, but I grew stronger and learned the language and was so proud of them when they could speak in sentences and play games using English. I loved being with a host family and being involved in their lives and activities. The Quest has been an exciting, challenging, stressful, eye-opening, rewardable, and an unparalleled adventure.

This experience was unlike anything I have ever done!

I had a lot of really awesome times and a lot of really bad days. A year anywhere will have both of those, but this year had more of each because it was on the other side of the world. I had plenty of cool experiences, and stepped out of my comfort zone a lot. I taught in a Special Ed school, something I had never done before, and that posed all kinds of challenges. I climbed mountains and volcanoes, learned to surf, attended Muslim weddings and festivals. I was homesick and unhappy, frustrated and confused a lot. I ate new foods, gained and lost weight, ran a half marathon, slept in the freezing cold and the suffocating heat, met people from all over the world. I experienced a culture completely different in some ways from my own, and very similar in other ways. I could go on and on about the cool things I did, and everything that frustrated me to no end. But the point is that this experience was unlike anything I have ever done, and will probably ever do again. And that's pretty cool.