United Planet Header Image United Planet Header Image

Volunteer Abroad in Ghana - United Planet - 2-12 Weeks

I fell in love with the country and its people!

This trip has broadened my horizons on a culture so unlike my own. I learned so much about a different culture that I was previously not familiar with. I immersed myself with the locals in everyday activities. I fell in love with the country and its people, and I can't wait to go back one day.

Absolutely life-changing, any opportunity I can get, I would certainly go back!

This experience was absolutely breath-taking. I can try to use all kinds of adjectives and descriptors to describe how I felt during my experience, but I don't think it would do it justice at all. I can totally write a book on how much I learned about the culture, the mannerisms of the people there, the food, the environment, everything. I really want to thank United Planet for having affiliations with Ghana. The work I did there was amazing and I felt I made a large impact on people's lives while I was there, as they certainly made an impact on mine.

It was a truly amazing and inspiring experience

I really enjoyed working in the school and interacting with the students and teachers alike, and they really made me feel like I was welcome there. The country coordinator and the host family were very helpful and open in conversation which was both helpful and insightful. The country was beautiful and the people even more so. It was a truly amazing and inspiring experience and I am definitely going to return as soon as I can.

My experience was excellent

My experience was excellent due my amazing host family and in country coordinator. Both of them helped me adjust to the life there in Ghana for the 3 weeks I was there and help me stay organized. What I enjoyed most about my quest was being fully immersed into the culture there from eating meals with my hands, bargaining at the local markets, learning a little bit of the language they speak there Ewe and forming relationships with the locals. My favorite experience while I was there was going to church there. The singing, dancing, and drumming from the choir with everyone's energy, I just smiled I think for the first hour I was there. I felt connected to the community and felt like I understood a little bit more about their culture by going there.

This experience was a huge eye opener

Our in country coordinator was fantastic and always available if we needed something. The host family was very welcoming and friendly for our entire stay and most of the hospital staff were very welcoming as well. On top of that this experience was a huge eye opener and an absolutely amazing experience to witness and be a part of the Ghana health care system. Our weekend excursion to the waterfall and the monkey sanctuary we also an amazing experience and to be able to see some of the country was not only incredibly beautiful but an amazing addition to our quest. The most challenging part of this trip was probably adapting to the different hospital policies and seen their lack of supplies and definitely greatly increased my appreciation for what I am able to work with at home.

I enjoyed learning about Ghanaian culture and history. I enjoyed being exposed to the differences in health care between Ghana and Canada. Yet it was hard to accept the lack of resources. It made it difficult to be optimistic and made me feel a little hopeless. Seeing people in poverty I could not help but feel like there was not much I could do as an individual. But I also learned to look on the brighter side of things and be appreciative of what you have. The Ghanaian people are in poverty, but they often have smiles on their faces and do not dwell on what they do not have, rather they are thankful for what they do have. This has changed how I view the world and my life. I enjoyed the excursions to the Wli waterfalls and monkey sanctuary which allowed me to see the natural beauty of Ghana. I also loved meeting the other volunteers and creating memories and friendships that will last forever.

The country. Ghana truly is amazing.

My quest has changed how I see the world. Sometimes it can be easy to get caught up in American pride and be blind to what you can learn from other countries. Ghana taught me the value of a community; people who actively look out for each other even if they are strangers.

The warmth of the country as a whole

I made irreplaceable friends in the emergency department who were great teachers as well as grateful for my volunteer service. I enjoyed all the friends I made in Ghana. The Ghanaian people are unlike any I have met. welcoming is an understatement. You're constantly invited places by those around you and welcome to join them in their culture. My host family was amazing. They guided me throughout my whole trip, and provided a warm welcoming home.

My experience in Ghana was truly memorable and enjoyable

My host family was very welcoming and accommodating and the staff that I worked with at Volta Regional Hospital were all friendly and accepting of me from the very first day. Adjusting to the new environment with less technology and a completely different culture was a bit difficult at first, but I was able to quickly adjust thanks to all the new friends and colleagues I made. The most challenging aspect of my quest was learning all the nuances of the Ghanaian culture, such as using your right hand when giving things to others; this was made even more difficult by the fact that I am left-handed.

I really enjoyed working at the hospital and assisting the staff with various tasks, but my favorite experience was assisting in suturing. The various experiences I gained in Ghana will most certainly help me as I pursue medical school and a career in medicine. All the relationships I've made, as well as learning about a new culture will definitely help me as I make more relationships throughout the rest of my life. I definitely hope to return to Ghana again one day, as my first time there was unforgettable.

I felt incredibly safe in Ghana - everyone is so friendly and helpful.

My Quest was amazing. I left Ghana feeling like I had made an impact on people's lives, not just for providing them with healthcare at my place of work, but also for sharing my experiences and living with them for a month. We both learned a great deal about the differences in culture, helping to break global boundaries and share in similarities. I enjoyed my place of work; the staff were friendly and very easy to get along with whilst giving me the support to learn valuable skills and also to impart some knowledge of my own into their way of working. A highlight would be my excursion to the monkey sanctuary and Wli waterfalls - both amazing places to visit. I would do it all again in a flash.

The experience at the project is made by the staff. I worked in the project for the entire month as I loved both the work itself and the staff on the unit. Some of the best healthcare staff I have ever worked with.

A Life-Changing Experience in Ghana!

My quest in Ghana was spent primarily in the Eye Clinic of the Volta Regional Hospital in Ho, Ghana. We spent three days of the week working in the clinic where I learned much about the field of optometry and saw first hand some very interesting cases. On Tuesdays we were able to go on outreach trips to local primary schools. I made some incredible memories that I will never forget while on the outreach trips. It was so rewarding to be present and observe the way Ghanaian children react to having a "white lady" help them with their eye screenings and try to have conversations with them. I hope they enjoyed it as much as I did.

One of the most challenging things about being in Ghana is definitely learning how to eat and enjoy the local food. Living with a host family allowed me to try the local cuisine first hand. It definitely required an open mind and some determination, but ultimately I learned to love the food. You have to learn how to eat with your hands and be okay with it. I also had to learn to go to the bathroom outside without a toilet. Coming from America, that is something I don't often do. It's important to make local friends that are comfortable enough with teaching you the techniques for both eating and going to the bathroom.

I also have very fond memories of the local people. Even the people I had never met were so welcoming. You hear "you are welcome" from every new person that you meet. The handshake used in the Volta region was also fun and I was able to do it on a daily basis. It starts like a hand shake Americans are used to, but it finishes with a snap of the middle finger. It was shocking at first, but I learned to love it.

This quest has truly been life changing for me. The hospitality that I have experienced, the living conditions that I have seen, and the lifestyles that these people live has been eye opening. I experienced some guilt and anger upon my arrival back home because everything was back to normal and no one ever acknowledges how fortunate we are. It was important to understand that just one month ago, I was the same way and that my family and friends have never experienced a culture such as Ghana's. After a couple of weeks I was able to put my anger and guilt to rest and it turned more towards being grateful. I have been blessed, and I will never forget my time in Ghana. I'm a better person for having met such amazing people and for experiencing the Ghanaian culture first hand.

My trip was an amazing and eye opening experience.

As prepared as I was and everything I was ready for, I was still amazed at what the healthcare industry in Ghana is able to do and work with.The people of Ghana were welcoming, generous and kind. I could not have asked for a better location to volunteer. Learning about a different culture and country is totally different than living in that different culture. You are able to see what it's about and live it, which is a once in a lifetime experience and everyone should be able to experience it at least once. My host family was amazing and so wonderful to me. It was an epic experience and one I will always remember.

excellent

excellent: Everyone was wonderful, helpful and made the pre-departure experience very easy. Yaw, my in-country coordinator could not have been better. He was kind, knowledgeable and comforting when needed. From the first moment I met him at the airport to the last when he dropped me off he was so pleasant and wonderful to me. He deserves recognition.

I had such a wonderful experience

Memorable experience is the complete cultural immersion.

I chose this program because I have a personal connection to Ghana.

My accommodations was a Five out of five.

A Unique Cultural Experience

I went on this same quest last year for 2 weeks. I had such a wonderful experience that I felt 2 weeks was too short. I returned this summer for 4 weeks. My experience was even better. I felt so immersed in the culture and got to experience different excursions and tasks. This time was able to help in the schools and visit cape coast in addition to helping at the orphanage. I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

I really felt immersed in the culture of Ghana

Wow, where to start? I had such an amazing time on the teaching quest in Ghana. I think the main lesson I learnt on this trip was that you get out what you put in. I would describe myself as quite a shy person, so initially I felt a bit out of depth. However, by the end of my trip I really felt immersed in the culture of Ghana. Everyone was so friendly and the host family were lovely. The students in the school and teachers in the school were equally as kind and friendly and I really enjoyed getting to know them all as well as the society in which they were brought up in. The weekend excursions were beautiful. Overall this experience was incredible. One of the pillars of United Planet is independence and i certainly achieved a sense of independence in learning to cope by myself but at the same I was able to learn so much and be part of another community.

My three weeks in Ghana changed my life.

Getting to experience a totally new culture, alone, forced me out of my comfort zone. Spending time at the hospital exposed me to very real problems facing underdeveloped nations.

good

A Great Experience

Everyone should have this experience! Volunteering abroad is an amazing way to learn about a new culture, have an incredible adventure, and be a responsible global citizen. Living with a host family and being part of the community was great! I made some great friends during my short stay in Ghana.

Community Impact:
It was great to have a chance to explore a bit more of Ghana!

excellent: Yaw was fabulous. He is such an interesting and thoughtful person. He spent hours commuting just to take me on an excursion. The only negative thing is that I wish he had given me a cell phone so I didn't have to rely on others to contact him. I eventually bought my own cell phone. They took the time to take me around Accra, told me about the history of Ghana, and made sure I was adjusting well to my new environment.

I felt very safe in Ghana. I like that the program was set up with a balance of structure and freedom to immerse oneself within the local culture independently. The only negative thing I have to say is that I did not receive a cell phone as promised. I had to buy my own. Access to a cell phone is important when you are on your own in a foreign country.

The most amazing and challenging experience of my life

My time spent in Ghana was the most amazing yet most challenging experience of my life thus far. Through my work as an English teacher as well as observing an agribusiness NGO, I learned so much not only about this fascinating country but also about myself in the process. There were many difficult challenges I had to face while living and working in rural Ghana, but I have come to realize that the difficulties were, in fact, the most rewarding parts of this experience. I suffered major culture shock when I first arrived, and I had many doubts about my abilities, but the warm and welcoming nature of the Ghanaian people helped me to adjust perfectly to my new home. This experience has opened my eyes immeasurably to the world around me, and I believe every person should take time to do an international volunteer experience like this.

It was truly amazing!

I met the most amazing people in the hospital and I always felt welcome amongst my host family. I formed close bonds with the people of Ho and I hope to keep in touch in the future! I can't wait to return to Ghana! Hopefully it will be soon!