United Planet Header Image United Planet Header Image

Volunteer Abroad in China - United Planet - 1-12 Weeks

Undeniably the single best experience of my life

I feel that the best experiences in life are invariably the ones that are hardest to relate. When I look back on my Quest in China, I find that when I sift through the memories of the people and places I encountered that there is not one single event that stands out as being paramount to the others. The memories I have of the most mundane everyday occurrences are ones that I treasure in equal measure with those of the most spectacular marvels I chanced upon over the course of my trip; memories of sitting in the classroom after school trying (in vain) to translate Proust into Chinese for the flotilla of students gathered at my sides, or playing soccer behind the school building with my fourth grade class are complemented by the pungent taste of Chou Doufu, or the sprawling view from the top of Heng Shan Temple, where the earth seems unfold beneath you and the smoke from burning incense rises over the horizon line. The individual memories overlap and converge to amount to what was undeniably the single best experience of my life.

I had a great experience being immersed in a different culture.

My trip to China was a life changing experience. Everyone I met was friendly and inviting, especially the other teachers at the school. The only regret I have is not spending more time there. That being said, I still grew as a person teaching in China. Being immersed in a different culture changed my views on interactions between people, and showed me the value and beauty of language.

Creating Lasting Memories

It was a really amazing experience. I was able to immerse myself in a new culture, create lasting memories, and make lifelong friends. One of the most amazing parts was seeing how happy we could make students with just our presence. They didn't have fancy toys as we did when we were children but they constantly had smiles on their faces. It really made me think about how lucky I was and about how life is amazing.

Living in a patriarchy was something that really impacted my life. Being a feminist it challenged me quite a bit. Reading about a patriarchy and living in one is very different. I could not fathom living their my entire life. It made me want to challenge it even more than my mind had wanted to in the states. It made me really think about how fortunate I was to have the freedoms I do and not be judged by elders in my community.