Unearth the World Header Image Unearth the World Header Image

Spanish School & Sustainable Tourism in Nicaragua

La Mariposa in Nicaragua

After spending 2 weeks at the Eco Hotel and Spanish School La Mariposa in Nicaragua, the organization and country both have a place near and dear to my heart. The school and eco hotel is comfortable, accommodating, and provides plenty of opportunities to get out and explore the surrounding area during your stay, volcanoes and old colonial cities included. The volunteer projects they fund and oversee are rewarding ways to serve the surrounding community and get to know the residents in the area. The people both associated with La Mariposa and in the community surrounding it were some of the most kind, generous, and warm people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Overall I would recommend this program to all types of travelers, from families to first time solo travelers like myself, and hope to return in the very near future

A wonderful service trip with La Mariposa organized by Unearth The World

This was a wonderful trip that combined the rewards of service work with learning Spanish, and exploring a new culture and country. By staying with La Mariposa, we were able to experience the culture of the local community and also give something back. Seeing the joy on the faces of disabled children at Los Pipitos as we engaged in equine therapy, art therapy, and games was amazing. Their joy was a priceless reward. We also enjoyed working at the reserve and the eco-farm. La Mariposa has engaged and provides such a valuable resource to the local community. We also enjoyed our tutoring sessions that were directed to our individual level Spanish. Each of us made strides in our Spanish language skills. There were also a number of local travel options through La Mariposa to see the surrounding countryside, volcano, and beaches. This was a wonderful experience and we are looking forward to returning.

La Mariposa Volunteer Homestay

I absolutely loved my full week volunteering at La Mariposa and living with a local family. It was a powerful cultural immersion and a valuable volunteer experience. Considering I do not speak Spanish and my homestay family did not speak a word of English...yet we developed an enduring bond and somehow communicated beautifully. I feel I am now part of their family and our lives will be forever connected. Although living conditions in the homestay were a bit rustic (i.e., no indoor plumbing) if you are seeking a transformational international experience, this is it!

La Mariposa is a treasure, the organization has grown organically over the years to become a multi-faceted community center that is the heart and soul of this region of Nicaragua. I really enjoyed being a laborer with my work teammates at the sustainable forest Reserva under development, assisting in a local re-forestation effort and helping at a innovative local school for special needs youth.

There was also time for fun filled excursions to traditional city of Granada and the beautiful beach with other friendly and worldly volunteers. I made friends with many of fellow volunteers and plan to maintain relationships with many of them. We were cut from the same cloth.

All in all, it was an awesome experience that I highly recommend.

Unearth the World - Nicaragua

Prior to my journey, I probably couldn’t have found Nicaragua on a map...now the country and people will forever be found in my heart. I went alone on my volunteer trip through a wonderful organization called Unearth the World. I stayed at a special place called La Mariposa and volunteered at Los Pipitos, a school for developmentally challenged children. I prepared myself for a tough situation and struggling children yet I was met by kids full of life. I helped their teacher with lessons and projects with them and then we’d spend hours playing soccer or the Nicaraguan version of kickball. I can’t remember the last time I smiled so much.

I learned so much from them and feel blessed my path lead me to Unearth the World. There are so many global, charitable organizations to choose from..it can be overwhelming. However, truly the best experience I've ever had is with UTW. It is a small, hands on organization that provides incredible support and knowledge. I highly recommend them and their program in Nicaragua.