Tropical Research and Conservation Centre Header Image Tropical Research and Conservation Centre Header Image

Marine Protected Areas Program

Wow and double Wow - I did not want to leave

I volunteered at TRACC for just 2 weeks, which seemed like a good idea when I was booking. What a mistake, most of the rest of the volunteers were there for 8-12 weeks and were having such a good time that I simply stayed. There was no space for the week after my 2 weeks so I went to look at elephants and Orang utans and then I came back for another glorious 6 weeks. The beach is fantastic, the sea blue clear and warm and the atmosphere was just great. Lots of keen enthusiastic people doing marine conservation work to help save the coral reefs.
Real people doing proactive marine conservation. I will be back. TRACC I love what you do :-)

Real conservation on a beautiful beach

I stayed with TRACC short for Tropical Research and Conservation Centre at the coconut cove camp near the Tip of Borneo, Sabah, Malaysia in Oct 2014 and was a great experience. I learnt a lot about marine life, I became part of a team, the staff and other volunteers were fantastic, committed and keen. Surveys and reef regeneration were happening all the time and while logistics were sometimes difficult we all went diving every day. The lighthouse reef is excellent, not too many fish but lovely coral. The knowledge I gathered from the staff was incredible. Committed marine scientists, a REAL conservation project that is clearly making a difference. If you care about the Ocean take a week or 2 and go diving or snorkelling with TRACC - I will be back :-) Maybe I will see you there.

Fantastic experience

Not knowing what to expect I volunteered with TRACC in Borneo and it was a great decision. I improved my diving skills, learnt uw lifting techniques and did a lot of biodiversity surveys. We planted coral on igloo reefs that will hopefully withstand the storms. I met a great bunch of people and I did some great diving. The accommodation was in tents - which were surprisingly comfortable, with fans and electricity but best of all your own space to keep tidy or mess up. The food was great with a wide range of choices and plenty of stuff for vegetarians.
Highly recommended for anyone with a sense of adventure or a desire to help save the planet. :-)

Internship in Paradise

This was a superb experience, a beautiful location, a fantastic project and great people. we planted corals and protected turtles and I learnt such a lot from a group of keen knowlegeable scientists. This has to be the best place to do an internship on coral reefs in the world. Some of the dive sites are on superb reefs with a huge range of coral species. The fish life on the N tip and the planted reefs is amazing. Many Many Species and the surveys we did showed a tremendous increase in the numbers of lots of species. This will be a fantastic marine protected area, I cannot wait to get back to see how the corals I planted have grown.