Treetop Country Header Image Treetop Country Header Image

Teach English and live in a tree house in a Thai village

A Week at Treetop Country

I had an amazing week at Treetop Country volunteering at Ban Langka School!!

At Treetop, I lived in a treehouse stilted above the ground and had one all to myself. They are simple and rustic (expect ants) but what would you expect in a treehouse!? All of the necessary amenities still are present including hot(ish) shower, fan, strong wifi, many outlets, and delicious homecooked meals for breakfast and dinner (these were awesome!!). I was the only one there at the time so it's not the most social, but I actually enjoyed the quiet evenings to myself after weeks of raucous hostels. Also, you can hang with the family if you'd like. There was a bike so I could ride to the nearby coffee shop or market or just explore the area.

The teaching experience was awesome - I'm in love with all of the kids in baby class! Not for the introverted, though. You are expected to teach as soon as you get there without much guidance (i.e. they hand you a worksheet and say "OK, teach!". I wound up looking up some good songs and games to bring to the table to be prepared with my own material. The kids LOVE you and love learning English. All day they will point to things and say "Teacha!" and you say it in English and then they repeat it. Adorable. They love playing with you during recess and the Baby Class will give you hugs all day long! The teachers are very friendly and you will eat with them at lunch, they will drive you back/forth to school, etc.

All in all it was exactly what I was looking for and the perfect week volunteering and exploring a rural Thai village. I only wish I could have stayed longer!

My Time at Lungka School

Amazing. Simply amazing. My time at Lungka school was absolutely incredible.

Unfortunately I was only able to spend one week in Lungka school, but it was the best week ever! I really felt part of the family as soon as I arrived, Aum and his family made me feel so welcome! They really are the best hosts. Aum is hilarious always laughing and joking- usually with a Chang in hand- and his mum makes the most unbelievable food.

The staff and children are so hardworking and thankful for everything you do as a volunteer. They really do put a smile on your face everyday. They are so eager to learn English and grateful for everything you can teach them. I instantly fell in love with the school as soon as I stepped foot inside the gates. If I could have spent 6 months volunteering here I would have.

I felt bad for not bringing resources/worksheets etc with me to use with the different classes I worked with. When I return next summer I plan on gathering worksheets and textbooks to use with the children, and so they can be kept with the teachers for future use when I am not there.

Treetop really is a wonderful organisation to volunteer with. Sleeping in a treetop, eating authentic Thai cuisine, mingling with the local community and teaching amazing, hard working, smart, funny, incredible, grateful children every day is just an experience you will remember forever.

The staff and children at treetop touched my heart so much I'm heading out for second time ... and i know it won't be my last.

Great volunteering programme being run in Thailand.

Great volunteering programme being run in Thailand. Teaching in local schools with very friendly staff & students. Very good value for money and living in comfortable amenities. But the best part is the food!

The BEST

I spent a month traveling throughout Thailand and by far the best experience of my trip was at Treetop! Everything about it was amazing! The accommodations, the people, the food, and the authentic experience they provided us! An absolutely incredible experience!

A True Thai Experience

Before coming here, my friend and I were looking for adventure and a chance to give back in a foreign country. Luckily, we found Treetop Country! Now, if you knew me - youd know that I am a control freak that needs to know every little detail before I jump. Treetop staff did a great job of informing me of basically everything I needed to know. When arriving in Chiang Mai, Matt and the rest of the Treetop Family had done everything possible to make us feel right at home. Whenever there were questions to be asked, someone was always there to help us out (despite the language barrier). Volunteering was absolutely amazing! The teachers are so hospitable and the children will melt your heart. To this day, in still keep in touch with a few of the teachers! Learning wasn't only done by the students. We as volunteers learned so much by everyone. Because we were in a Thai village and not in the middle of the city, we were engulfed with the Thai language 24/7. Everyday there were new words/phrases I was learning! Overall, I fell in love with Thailand because of Treetop Country. I hope to return there soon. I highly recommend anyone interested in experiencing authentic Thailand to visit Treetop. You won't leave dissapointed!

Do something good

This isn't a 'once in a lifetime' opportunity as you will find out when you get to Lungka School and Treetop Country. You'll find yourself making plans years in advance to go back. And go back again. And you will.

Myself and my girlfriend spent only one week in Wiang Pa Pao and I can hand on heart say it was the best experience of my world travels to date. Sadly it was only one week. If we had the time it would have been longer and the next time we go back it will be.

You live in a treehouse in a beautiful little village surrounded by rice paddy fields. The family looks after you day and night, Aum is there for whatever you need and his mum cooks THE best Thai food I've ever had. Water is always provided, the only extra expense you have is the beer and an optional cooking class/waterfall trip.

The week was so organised. We were picked up from a teacher in the morning and shown around the school and they let you find your feet for yourself and get comfortable. The school relies on volunteers! The kids are just incredible and you will be beyond grief to leave them.

The locals around the district are also lovely. Don't worry about language barriers, you get used to that and find a way around it. Just say 'sabadeecap' to make someones day.

To balance things out I think it's only fair if I find a fault somewhere. Now this is difficult! For most of the week there was just me and my girlfriend volunteering and this meant at night when we had finished having a meal with the family and left to our own devices we found there wasn't all that much to do. Personally I think this would be completely different if there were more volunteers. But we did find things to do at the latter stages like go play basketball with the very kind nurse Gaan (a really good person who will become your good mate.) As said we did find things to do. There is a big Buddha complex that you HAVE to witness!

Sorry for the rambling on. I'll finish by saying I can 100% recommend Treetop for anyone looking to do anything up to 6 months volunteering. Great experience and you really do make a difference whilst having the time of your life. As soon as we get the opportunity, we'll be back in a flash!

Sanuk Mak Ma!

My time at Treetop Country was phenomenal. I got every bit of experience I had expected to out of it. This was my first trip to Thailand, let alone South East Asia. My friend and I had earned teaching degrees together and figured this would be an awesome time.

Arrangements:
They were very accommodating and as we were planning our visit to Wiangpapao. We first heard of Treetop Country via Instagram and made contact with them through email. We had flight issues and their flexibility allowed for us to rearrange our dates to stay as well as pick up from the Chiang Mai Airport. The Thai couple that picked us up was shy at first, but of course by the end of the trip they were our new family. We were also fortunate to have an English couple on board to chat with on the way.

Treehouses/Accomodations:
Basically raised bamboo houses. They're simple and authentic, you have a mattress on the floor. Most of the rooms are located on the second floor and can be accessed by bamboo walkways and stairs. There are singles and doubles as well as a lounge area in the center. Each room has their own private toilet/shower room as well as lights and power outlets. After having stayed in hostels in the past, this place was much more than necessary! And super clean.
I did have an experience one night where ants invaded my bathroom and camped over for the night but they were gone by morning. If you don't like bugs, maybe Thailand isn't for you.

Staff:
Matt was crucial to our time at Treehouse. He was a good-natured Canadian with a knack for picking up the Thai language. I learned much of my Thai with his help and his friendliness got us very far in the neighborhoods. He took us around the markets, little shops, hospital, schools, and so much more. When we travelled to Chiang Mai, he visited us for a bit and slept on our floor. He was very much our adopted Thai-Canadian brother.
The caretakers of the grounds truly became family. I'm not going to try and spell their names (not only because I'd butcher the spelling but because they're 50 letters long) but our new #1 chef mom made the most delicious and authentic Thai you've ever had. Although, "not spicy" is not a concept she understands. No problem there! Our man with the van, Aum, would drive us anywhere we needed to go and had a sick music playlist. There were seriously SO many characters we met from old grandmas with cute dogs to bitter english men with sweet souls. There was not one person in Wiangpapao that wouldn't brighten your day. As I'm writing this I wonder why I even bothered coming back to America.

Schools:
We were fortunate to have taught at 2 different schools. The closest school was a 5 minutes bike ride from home and was a little intimidating at first. It was the kind of school you think about when visiting a somewhat impoverished area. Very few staff members understood English, and the ones that did were very shy. But once they got to know us a bit, they began feeling much more comfortable trying to communicate (especially after hearing me struggle with Thai so often). And, oh my god, the kids. There wasn't an exact structure to the way the school day was carried out (besides the beginning of the day and lunch) but the kids were so willing to learn! Every age group had an energy and genuine curiosity about us. We were pretty tired at the end of the school day. I would have liked to have had records of what the kids had learned previously with other volunteers so that we would come up with cohesive plans of moving forward, but of course the program is still a pilot. Honestly, as a teacher, it was nice to just hang out and play with kids all day with a little learning mixed in.
The second school we visited with was much more like a traditional school. The teachers and principal were SUPER on it. They had a great curriculum and fostered a learning environment that made every student teachable. What I saw in the students was that they were thankful to have teachers that actually cared for them. In such a small community, no child was left behind and it actually worked. The teachers actually gave us ideas on what to teach the students. They mostly wanted the kids exposed to pronunciation, vocabulary, and sentence structure. On a personal level, the teachers would often take us out to lunch and dinner. After awhile we would be competing to pay the tab because they were just way way way too generous. I don't want to say that and have that be an expectation with future visitors, but it just shows how appreciative they are. The entire community is an untainted piece of heaven where people just leave their groceries on their bikes fully expecting it to be there when they come back.

Overall:
For less than $12 USD/day; you get your own private room and shower, transportation from the airport, 3 aroi meals/day, staff that turn into family, and a beautiful, relaxing place to chill near a chocolate river. You will most likely be 1 out of less than 5 outsiders in the entire village! The people of Wiangpapao are friendly and warm with smiles that I carry with me everyday. They will call you into their huts to feed you alcohol and sing karaoke to you. They will drive you around giving you tours and showing you the best food places. They'll take you to waterfalls and then you'll sit around drinking Chang beer and admiring the fireflies. I regret leaving, I really do. Maybe one day after I pay off all my student debt, I'll marry a Thai man and we'll buy a house for $10,000 and harvest rice and have a water buffalo as a pet.

AMAZING

Treetop was such an amazing experience and definitely a highlight of mine during my trip throughout SE Asia. Between the home cooked Thai meals, houses on stilts, trips to the pool and waterfall, cooking lessons, and the warm friendly faces, treetop is an unforgettable experience. Volunteering and teaching english was incredibly fun and rewarding. I learned a lot of Thai just being around the children and interacting with them. I was at treetop for 1 week out of two months in Thailand and it was here that I learned the most thai by far, in just 1 week! I highly recommend making treetop a part of your Thai adventure. You won't regret it!

Treetop Country Thailand

Three friends and I visited Treetop Country for a week in July of 2014. We were picked up in Chiang Mai and driven to the amazing location by a friendly driver, who I now call a friend. Matt Silverstein and the Tree Top owners/staff welcomed us with a delicious meal and drinks even though it was nearing midnight.

Throughout our time there, they created wonderful experiences for us, that highlighted the culture of the town and were a blast! Our favorite experience was driving through the beautiful rice and tea farms on our way to a waterfall. Once at the deserted waterfall, we enjoyed a swim and a tasty picnic of traditional Thai food.

Each meal was more amazing than the other, and we were lucky enough to participate in an on site Thai cooking class. Another fun experience was singing karaoke at Treetop with the owners, their family and some Thai people from the community.

The accommodations were clean, safe and amazing to look at. We loved the idea of sleeping in bamboo tree houses!

Overall, Treetop Country was an amazing company that offers an authentic, fun and safe experience.

Authentic Thailand

No words I can write will give the treetop experience justice but I'll have a go anyway...

Arriving in Thailand, having never travelled outside Europe before, I was welcomed with open arms from everyone at Treetop and embraced into their family. The people behind this fantastic organisation are what makes it great. One of my main concerns was the communication barrier with the Thai locals as I spoke no word of Thai. It wasn't a problem at all, it even added fun to the whole experience. The first day we arrived in Wieng Pa Pao, Matt, our Volunteer Coordinator took us for a bicycle tour round the local village. Every single person we saw on that tour spoke to us with a "hello, where are you going?". They are so so so friendly and put us instantly at ease. We had no qualms about not locking our rooms or leaving valuables knocking about because the culture around the village is so respectful and 110% safe.

I was one of the first volunteers at Lungka, one of the local schools, where I taught children English. It was slightly daunting arriving at a school that had never had volunteers before but again the teachers were so friendly and welcoming and we were treated like local celebs. They took us out to the best restaurants, bars and café's the area has to offer, didn't get annoyed at our 342934792 questions about every thing and anything and helped us make our time there the best it could be. Throughout our stay I would like to say we became great friends and still 3 months on, we have kept in touch and hope to one day come back and visit. In the evenings and weekends we had some amazing opportunities with the guys at Treetop, we visited a waterfall where we were the only people there, had some crazy nights, ate some amazing food from chef extraordinaire Ma Tom, visited a hot spring and have come away with many many stories.

Living, working and socialising within a small community, you get to see the real Thailand. The Thailand that you wouldn't see on a usual holiday. I wouldn't say this is a 'holiday' or a 'program' it is an experience in every sense of the word.

The tourism industry in Thailand is increasing exponentially and without speaking English, the children have very limited career opportunities. So any form of interaction with English speaking volunteers is invaluable, especially for the children around rural Thailand and in a place like Wieng Pa Pao. The work Treetop does is amazing and has a huge impact on the local area.

The experience was hugely uplifting and I feel that while I was there to teach the children, in turn they taught me many things about their language, culture, religion and even myself that I will take with me back to rainy old England.

I couldn't recommend this more. Get yourselves out there, you won't regret it!

I Enjoyed the experience!

I'm just really happy I got to enjoy an experience and I don't really think of it as a vacation but volunteering. So I hope everybody gets to experience something like this. I just had a great time and it's exactly what I was looking for. I was making a presentation at my school and I always thought if I could volunteer like they do. I've always wanted to volunteer. I thought Thailand would be perfect and my mom right away said suit up and you're ready to go. This is where I decided to go and I'm glad I chose Thailand.

Treetop let us do what we wanted to in Thailand

Treetop just allowed us the freedom to make our choices in our trip and gave us the opportunity to do what exactly what we want to which is volunteering here in Thailand.

I really had a good time.

One of the reasons that I come back from India, here in Thailand is to be able to just teach in English because in the first time I wasn't able to do that.

There's no issues. I've been taken care of. Even if you need any kind of help, the hospital is very close. And the staff is super kind of nice and they already know the program with Treetop so whenever you come here they teach you and take care of you. They speak English over there. They're ready to help you.

My first experience was great. I really had a good time. Treetop has a bar inside and music. You can drink and sing karaoke, this kind of stuff. You will really have a good time with your group. In term of the local, its up to you. It depends if you want to go out. It's a matter of how much you're willing to try. If will you try to go out to the bar, you go and talk to the local and try to communicate somehow, you're gonna find that you'll have a great time. Me and Matthew used to go do this before everyday, hang out with the locals. It was just so fun.

Loved the set up!

I really loved the way that we are set up here like they're really nice. We're in a Treehouse, it's really cool, it's really unique. It's really awesome. I was really thankful for western bathrooms. I love the Wifi. It's a really good living situation. It's awesome going to the schools. Meeting all the people around here. The location is wonderful. Everything is great. It's like living in the jungle, but also have WiFi. It's awesome!

Life Changing

I spent one month at Treetop Country and it was the best decision that I've ever made. I've had so many friends pass through Thailand, partying and spending time on the beach, never really getting to know the culture. At Treetop Country I was treated like a member of the family, I became close with so many people in the community, and the children at Pasak School are adorable! The entire village of Wiang Pa Pao is excited to see foreigners in the community and there isn't a person who goes by that doesn't flash you a smile. I was given more by this community than I ever could have possibly given back by ay of Teaching English and helping out with the farm. Lastly, they make you meals that would cost you hundreds of baht at local Thai restaurants, but it is included in your volunteering costs! The family has 2 legendary chefs and they won't stop feeding you until your stomach is on the verge of exploding. Overall this was an amazing experience, I know that I truly lived with the people of Thailand and got to contribute to a beautiful community :). Thanks Treetop!

treetop viang pa pao

The school staff was really nice and fun, treated us really well. You get to hang out a lot with the kids and you get to see them both in class and in during they're break.
The staff in the accommodation area is nice and the food is really good, but the area is very far from town so you don't really have a place to go out at night. Another thing is that there is no hot water and there are a lot of creatures that come into you're room.
all in all a very enjoyable experience and it was very fun just needs work on the accommodation