Faculty-Led Customized Study in Belize Programs

• The Adventure

UNL Spring Break

I had a fabulous time in Belize. I learned a lot about the culture of Belize and the Mayan culture. I thought that the immersion process was great and we experienced a wide variety of activities. I do think however there was time for more activities. I would have loved to see a little more of Belize. I thought the speakers could be moved to when it got dark so we could continue to use the day light to do more activities.

University of Nebraska-Lincoln Education Abroad

I was very pleased with this program. At first I was unsatisfied with the quality of the living situation and other accommodations (such as wifi), however, I think that the "rougher" conditions added to my learning experience, making me more appreciative of what I have, as well as making me more aware and empathetic of how people in a developing country such as Belize.

Culture Shock!

Before going to Belize, I think I had an image in my head of this country being so lavish and rich. Perhaps, I didn't do my research very well. I did not realize that it was a developing country. It was definitely hard for me to adjust to the humid weather, the bugs, and the limited access to the things that were just at my fingertips at home. However, I realized that the people of Belize had a very different outlook on life than I may have. What we may see as poor may not be poor to them. For instance Maya and Mennonites who are living very basic lifestyles. They are satisfied with their lives and they don't need materialistic things to enhance it and because of that, I feel as if they may have a better quality of life than I do. I truly envy that. I met some of the most welcoming and understanding people there than I have ever met over here. Maryam was amazing. She made me feel very welcomed and she understood a lot of what I felt to be away from home because she went through a similar situation. Ms. Rhodine was such a sweet soul. I could tell she really took pride in her country and it's history. I appreciate all of the time and effort they put into our trip, it truly meant a lot. I would definitely like to come back to do research in the medical field. Also, our drivers were very funny and welcoming. Orlando and Phillip were super nice to us and we definitely loved the crazy driving! The tour guides were very educated and I saw that the cave and structures there really meant a lot to them. I learned a lot from them and it was absolutely amazing over there. Thank you guys so much for such an amazing experience!

Unforgettable

I had the most amazing time in Belize! I did things I did not expect to, it was amazing to see the archaeological sites and learn so much about the country itself. The speakers we had were phenomenal and really knowledgeable about the subjects they were presenting on. It was both fun and educational, I would definitely recommend and do it again.

Unforgettable

My overall experience was amazing. I was filled with such awe at what were were being shown and given the opportunity to explore. I wouldn't have traded anything for the memories that I now have. The only thing I can give feedback on would be that the scheduling sometimes was not well talked about at times. There was a lot of back and forth between old and new schedules.

Experience Belize firsthand

This was a well organized program with TEP (Ms. Rhondine) taking extra care to make sure things are going smoothly. The trips to Mayan monuments and the lectures arranged were very informative. The stay in Hopkins was the highlight of our stay. The food and living conditions immersed the students in Belizean culture.

View detailed rating

The most surreal and transforming experience of my life thus far

Everything about the program was absolutely amazing. The cultural immersion was incredible, we experienced how the people of Belize live and were granted the opportunity to be part of their communities. We were not treated as foreigners but as family. Belize is a culturally diverse community consisting of individuals readily willing to embrace anything new coming their way. Culture shock was minuscule thanks to the great people working with TEP, we were provided essential commodities while maintaining the authenticity of what it is to reside in Belize. The lectures provided were extremely informative, yet interesting and always had a wonderful meaning behind them. Not only where the professors highly professional and masters in their craft, they were also humble and willing to answer every question one may have had. The locations program directors chose for the students to visit where surreal and majestic. Ancient Maya ruins, boat rides surrounded by wildlife, cave exploring and the opportunity to visit inspirational programs such as the women's group. The experience was ended with two relaxing days at Hopkins beach with the opportunity to go snorkeling and eat at local restaurants while having local musical talents play. By far the most amazing week of my life surrounded by genuine people and I will definitely return.

Exploration of Belize in a Week

My time in Belize was an amazing experience full of learning, cultural immersion, excursions, and amazing food. The guest lectures brought insight into the history, culture, politics, economics and development of Belize. In my opinion, the trip was the most well planned study abroad trip I have ever been on. I felt truly taken care of, as if everything was planned perfectly and fully. The program could not have been any more perfect!

Belize Trip

The TEP trip was great, faculty were incredibly helpful and easily accessible. They took great care of us and were always working to keep us on schedule and accommodate our needs. There were minimal issues with our housing, travel, and food.

Sustainability Graduate in Belize

I came to Belize with my graduate program and the coordination TEP did for my team was absolutely amazing. I felt like I got to experience and learn so much during my short week stay. I stayed in beautiful establishments and was given exposure to the unique cultures to Belize. I accredit all the good memories I had in Belize to TEP.

View detailed rating

Coast Zone Management Authority & Institute Communications Engagement Strategy Project

I had a fabulous time on our Belizean study abroad trip due to the highly organized program through Toucan Educational abroad program. Rhondine and Maryam were awesome chaperones and very attentive to all our needs, not to mention just lovely women to spend time with.

Our accommodations were quite comfortable and located in beautiful settings, along with delicious food at the Black Orchid resort. Our travel via bus or airline was highly efficient and on time.

I was very impressed with how the program was managed.

NCAT Faculty Led Study Abroad

The program was thorough, well-planned and included numerous cultural immersion activities. TEP program administration was thorough! Transportation was timely, the staff was friendly and knowledgeable. They anticipated participants' need and ensure safety at all times. The cultural presentation by Myrna Manzaneres was awesome and contained a wealth of knowledge. She inspired and engaged the participants.

Transformative

My experience was eye-opening, humbling, and fun. I would go again. I wish that the service agencies were more prepared for our help. Perhaps, a to-do list could be submitted prior to our arrival to ensure we make the most of our time and help them too.

Out of this WORLD

I had an incredible experience. I believe TEP did an excellence job pairing individuals based on their program desires and attempted to give students a great cultural immersion. I had great service experiences and was able to see and experience first hand the way services are provided in Belize. I believe the host family experience was yet another great aspect of the trip. I think studying abroad should be a part of every helping professional program, it will definitely add value to your ability to provide culturally responsive service.

Amazing Program!

I loved traveling to Belize - without this program I wouldn't have learned the amount I did. We had a travel guide with us the entire time, his name was John - having him on the trip was so nice, he explained everything to us, stuff we didn't understand and other things we were too nervous to bring up. It was nice to have him around! Super happy my school decided to go through TEP!

Excellent experience

My experience in Belize was educational, adventerous, and more then anything fun. I hope to return in the near future to the villages we visited along with San Ignacio, the city, and many other places. The food was delicious, the people were beyond inviting, polite, and nice, and every day I was in Belize I fell in love with this small country more.

UIndy PT/OT Service Learning Program

This program was very well administered. It provided enjoyable, safe cultural experiences and matched our program with partners that were in need of services. I enjoyed meeting people from villages to Belize City and be able to share my talents with them.

TEP Belize

This was a great experience. The only things I wish I could have changed is that the in services were spread out a bit more and that I could have stayed longer. This was an amazing program and I am so glad that I could be a part of it!

Belize PT/OT service trip

I had an amazing experience with TEP in Belize providing physical and occupational therapy services as a student along with experienced professionals in a culture very different from my own. I believe the trip will have a great impact on my growth as a clinician and has shaped in part my commitment to international practice and service. It is most definitely a trip I hope to go on again as a chaperone after I earn my degree. I have to thank Candy and Rhondine for providing such a rich cultural experience through the carefully planned locations and excursions that we participated in as well as the organizations that we partnered with and were able to learn so much from. I felt safe and well taken care of the entire trip, and I am heading into the next semester of my schooling knowing that I am better prepared, more confident, and more passionate about my field than ever before. Highly recommend.

Physical Therapist, Geriatric Specialist

The UIndy service learning trip with Toucan Education Programs was excellent. Rhondine was very organized and professional. She made sure everything was taken care of ahead of time including housing, meals, transportation and educational seminars. She put in a lot of time and effort to make our experience both educational and fun.

Belize OT/PT trip

Great program! The staff for TEP is amazing and did everything to make sure the trip ran smoothly. Highly recommend for an international experience! No complaints and I would go through this company again in the future.

Amazing!

This program was a fantastic learning experience for me. I would highly recommend it. All of the activities were wonderful, and the staff were always helpful and kind. I think this was a once in a lifetime experience

Immersion Experience

This was a transformative experience. The participants traveled to three parts of the country and were able to immerse with the different cultural groups. They participated in community service learning, host family stay, and met with local experts in various field.

Belize Trip

This trip was absolutely a once in a lifetime opportunity. Being thrown into a world outside of our "United States" bubble gives one the opportunity to see the world through a different lens. If given the chance to return back to Belize and continue any promotion of health care or any other topics, I would not hesitate to return.

Promoting Health in Belize

Overall, my spring term went successfully. I enjoyed emerging myself into the Belizean culture, people, and weather. I enjoyed the teaching experience though I would be more interested in presenting something exercise related.