Toucan Education Programs (TEP) Header Image Toucan Education Programs (TEP) Header Image

Faculty-Led Customized Study in Belize Programs

UIndy PT/OT service trip

I have nothing but excellent things to say about this program. Going into the trip, I had no idea how much it would change me. That being said, I left Belize as a more educated, empathetic, and effective health care provider. This experience was invaluable on many levels including, but not limited to, cultural immersion and expansive health care experience. I will definitely be highly recommending this program to both the faculty and incoming students.

• The Adventure

Another great experience with TEP

Rhondine and her staff go above and beyond to make sure her visitors have a wonderful, safe, and healthy experience! Given the circumstances of a recent hurricane, Rhondine worked diligently for us, communicating with community partners who were difficult to reach and making sure we had necessary sustenance to continue our work in Belize. Thanks TEP!

OT/PT Service trip

Rhondine & the TEP team were very helpful, informative, and a pleasure to work with. I appreciated how they took care of any needs we had, especially with transportation. I loved that they shared their love and knowledge of the country and the people with us and allowed us to have an insider view.

Experience of a lifetime

The primary recurring thought that comes to my mind when I think about my time in Belize is Life-changing. My team and I arrived in Belize with an open minds and kind intentions. For all of us it was our first time in the country. We were constantly surrounded by friendly people and never felt I was in danger. We were there for agriculture and the staff at TEP took every opportunity to expose us to different farming experiences of all production levels. We spent 30 days in beautiful Belize and the house we stayed in was amazing. The staff at TEP made all the planning and paperwork for this trip a smooth and simple process. This was no average study aboard, we truly got to experience the culture, tourism and daily life of the Belizean people. The level of professionalism and commitment we received from TEP was first-class. I left Belize feeling blessed to have had this experience. It is definitely not if I will return to Belize, it is now of when I will return. Thank you TEP for making this summer one I will never forget!

Honey in the rock

My study abroad experience was very real. Talking with farmers, realizing how important to life their passion is. Farming should not be taken lightly. The Belize Central Extension office is doing an excellent job helping the farmers and when possible, funding is granted. The University of Belize has an excellent professor who looks after the farming there. He was so inspiring as to his idea of learning. There are so many nice places in Belize between those gorgeous mountains, honey in the rock I'll say. TEP was so helpful doing what they do. Their position here was superb. I felt that our safety was very much considered and important. TEP is well known there.

Great experience

Overall great experience. I'm sure to come back again with family and friends. Belize is a great country for beginning study abroad travelers and learning does not disappoint with the wealth of culture and diversity.

An amazing Belize experience

Our trip to Belize was an amazing trip, a trip that none of us wanted it to end. Everyone was really friendly and nice towards all of us. There was always something for us to do, whether the day or night. We learned so much about the country of Belize and the prison of Belize. This trip also brought everyone closer to each other.

UIndy criminal justice program

Where do I begin?! This experience was incredible, to say the least. I cannot thank the staff of Toucan Education Programs enough for all that they have done in planning this amazing experience and program for my classmates and me.

As for Mr. Ernesto, he made the trip exponentially better than I would have ever imagined! Without his extensive knowledge of the country, its history, and the answers to any question that was thrown at him, my classmates and I would not have learned as much as what we did while visiting Belize. Not to mention all of the times that he went out of his way to make sure we experienced something or learned about something he thought we should know about. He is truly the definition of going above and beyond his position's title and job description!

What an unforgettable and once in a lifetime experience! Thank you!

Paradise

I absolutely fell in LOVE with Belize! TEP created a program for us that allowed us to experience as many sides of Belize that can fit into 10 days. Great great great experience! We were able to see life in a village, city, and an island. I felt safe, and was always occupied with things to do.

Amazing

I loved the program! Everything about the trip was great! I enjoyed walking around and seeing all the different cultures and going through the different activities we went through. I loved trying the Belize food and seeing all the native animals.

It was a great time!

I really enjoyed this trip. It was really well organized and the trip your guide, Ernesto, made the trip fun and informative. I really enjoyed being able to travel to multiple places and seeing a lot of different culture and different people.

• The Adventure

UNL Spring Break

I had a fabulous time in Belize. I learned a lot about the culture of Belize and the Mayan culture. I thought that the immersion process was great and we experienced a wide variety of activities. I do think however there was time for more activities. I would have loved to see a little more of Belize. I thought the speakers could be moved to when it got dark so we could continue to use the day light to do more activities.

University of Nebraska-Lincoln Education Abroad

I was very pleased with this program. At first I was unsatisfied with the quality of the living situation and other accommodations (such as wifi), however, I think that the "rougher" conditions added to my learning experience, making me more appreciative of what I have, as well as making me more aware and empathetic of how people in a developing country such as Belize.

Culture Shock!

Before going to Belize, I think I had an image in my head of this country being so lavish and rich. Perhaps, I didn't do my research very well. I did not realize that it was a developing country. It was definitely hard for me to adjust to the humid weather, the bugs, and the limited access to the things that were just at my fingertips at home. However, I realized that the people of Belize had a very different outlook on life than I may have. What we may see as poor may not be poor to them. For instance Maya and Mennonites who are living very basic lifestyles. They are satisfied with their lives and they don't need materialistic things to enhance it and because of that, I feel as if they may have a better quality of life than I do. I truly envy that. I met some of the most welcoming and understanding people there than I have ever met over here. Maryam was amazing. She made me feel very welcomed and she understood a lot of what I felt to be away from home because she went through a similar situation. Ms. Rhodine was such a sweet soul. I could tell she really took pride in her country and it's history. I appreciate all of the time and effort they put into our trip, it truly meant a lot. I would definitely like to come back to do research in the medical field. Also, our drivers were very funny and welcoming. Orlando and Phillip were super nice to us and we definitely loved the crazy driving! The tour guides were very educated and I saw that the cave and structures there really meant a lot to them. I learned a lot from them and it was absolutely amazing over there. Thank you guys so much for such an amazing experience!

Unforgettable

I had the most amazing time in Belize! I did things I did not expect to, it was amazing to see the archaeological sites and learn so much about the country itself. The speakers we had were phenomenal and really knowledgeable about the subjects they were presenting on. It was both fun and educational, I would definitely recommend and do it again.

Unforgettable

My overall experience was amazing. I was filled with such awe at what were were being shown and given the opportunity to explore. I wouldn't have traded anything for the memories that I now have. The only thing I can give feedback on would be that the scheduling sometimes was not well talked about at times. There was a lot of back and forth between old and new schedules.

Experience Belize firsthand

This was a well organized program with TEP (Ms. Rhondine) taking extra care to make sure things are going smoothly. The trips to Mayan monuments and the lectures arranged were very informative. The stay in Hopkins was the highlight of our stay. The food and living conditions immersed the students in Belizean culture.

The most surreal and transforming experience of my life thus far

Everything about the program was absolutely amazing. The cultural immersion was incredible, we experienced how the people of Belize live and were granted the opportunity to be part of their communities. We were not treated as foreigners but as family. Belize is a culturally diverse community consisting of individuals readily willing to embrace anything new coming their way. Culture shock was minuscule thanks to the great people working with TEP, we were provided essential commodities while maintaining the authenticity of what it is to reside in Belize. The lectures provided were extremely informative, yet interesting and always had a wonderful meaning behind them. Not only where the professors highly professional and masters in their craft, they were also humble and willing to answer every question one may have had. The locations program directors chose for the students to visit where surreal and majestic. Ancient Maya ruins, boat rides surrounded by wildlife, cave exploring and the opportunity to visit inspirational programs such as the women's group. The experience was ended with two relaxing days at Hopkins beach with the opportunity to go snorkeling and eat at local restaurants while having local musical talents play. By far the most amazing week of my life surrounded by genuine people and I will definitely return.

Exploration of Belize in a Week

My time in Belize was an amazing experience full of learning, cultural immersion, excursions, and amazing food. The guest lectures brought insight into the history, culture, politics, economics and development of Belize. In my opinion, the trip was the most well planned study abroad trip I have ever been on. I felt truly taken care of, as if everything was planned perfectly and fully. The program could not have been any more perfect!

Belize Trip

The TEP trip was great, faculty were incredibly helpful and easily accessible. They took great care of us and were always working to keep us on schedule and accommodate our needs. There were minimal issues with our housing, travel, and food.

Sustainability Graduate in Belize

I came to Belize with my graduate program and the coordination TEP did for my team was absolutely amazing. I felt like I got to experience and learn so much during my short week stay. I stayed in beautiful establishments and was given exposure to the unique cultures to Belize. I accredit all the good memories I had in Belize to TEP.

Coast Zone Management Authority & Institute Communications Engagement Strategy Project

I had a fabulous time on our Belizean study abroad trip due to the highly organized program through Toucan Educational abroad program. Rhondine and Maryam were awesome chaperones and very attentive to all our needs, not to mention just lovely women to spend time with.

Our accommodations were quite comfortable and located in beautiful settings, along with delicious food at the Black Orchid resort. Our travel via bus or airline was highly efficient and on time.

I was very impressed with how the program was managed.

NCAT Faculty Led Study Abroad

The program was thorough, well-planned and included numerous cultural immersion activities. TEP program administration was thorough! Transportation was timely, the staff was friendly and knowledgeable. They anticipated participants' need and ensure safety at all times. The cultural presentation by Myrna Manzaneres was awesome and contained a wealth of knowledge. She inspired and engaged the participants.

Transformative

My experience was eye-opening, humbling, and fun. I would go again. I wish that the service agencies were more prepared for our help. Perhaps, a to-do list could be submitted prior to our arrival to ensure we make the most of our time and help them too.

Out of this WORLD

I had an incredible experience. I believe TEP did an excellence job pairing individuals based on their program desires and attempted to give students a great cultural immersion. I had great service experiences and was able to see and experience first hand the way services are provided in Belize. I believe the host family experience was yet another great aspect of the trip. I think studying abroad should be a part of every helping professional program, it will definitely add value to your ability to provide culturally responsive service.