Australia: Queensland, Sunshine Coast
Fall, Spring, Academic Year
Throughout the Year
The University of the Sunshine Coast is a favorite with students because of its affordability, 5 star academic ranking, personalized support, magnificent location and semi-tropical climate. 150+ academic programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels are available in the Faculties of Arts & Social Sciences; Business; and Science, Health and Education. USC is 100 km (about 66 miles) north of Brisbane, the capital of Queensland, and about 6 miles from the pristine beaches of the Sunshine Coast. Situated next to the Mooloolah River National Park, USC offers students a truly Australian experience. The campus is home to Eastern Gray kangaroos and a wide variety of other Australian wildlife and vegetation. Australian students are housed with internationals from around the world in resort-style accommodation adjacent to campus. Small class sizes and social activities make it easy to meet both Aussie and other international students.
Affordable superior resort-style student accommodation is adjacent to campus in a magnificent natural setting bordering the residential community of Chancellor Park. Australian students are housed with international students, four students per apartment. Each student enjoys his/her own bedroom, bathroom and telephone. Students share the common kitchen and living area. Amenities include swimming pools, basketball, tennis, recreation rooms, community barbeque pits. Apartments are fully equipped.
USC's relatively small student population of around 5,800 affords students the benefits of small class sizes, easy access to faculty members and personalized support services that are second to none.
The University of the Sunshine Coast is unique from other Australian universities in a number of ways:
- USC's study abroad tuition is among the most affordable in Australia.
- USC does not charge science lab fees, health fees, capital or development levies, or technology fees.
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is free for students requiring it. US citizens studying for a semester in Australia must have OSHC to get their student visa. USC organizes the insurance on behalf of the students too.
- International students register on-line with the FIRST ROUND of Australian students! In addition, personal assistance is available throughout the entire process, from course selection to registration.
- Full course outlines (10-12 pages each) are available on a CD.
- An optional group flight is offered each semester at a very competitive price.
- USC offers a fully comprehensive 4 day orientation upon arrival on campus.
- USC is an official warden for the US Embassy in Australia.
- USC has a full-time international representative who lives in the USA. She has 15+ years of experience dealing with US students studying abroad and is available via a toll free phone number or E-mail 24/7.
- Travel opportunities abound with trips organized through STA and independent trips organized amongst the students themselves. It's not unusual to get invited home for a weekend with your new Aussie friends.
- USC has a research station on world-famous Fraser Island, the world's largest sand island and World Heritage-listed site. Students visiting the island in July and August may catch a glimpse of the migrating humpback whales at Hervey Bay.
- Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo is only about a 20 minute ride from USC; Underwater World is even closer. A number of other animal sanctuaries are closeby.
- The Sunshine Coast is a wonderful place to learn to surf or take up scuba diving, ocean rowing or surf life saving. The beaches are pristine with white powder sand and are only a few minutes drive from campus.
The Sunshine Coast resorts are a favorite especially amongst the Australians. There is always something exciting to do or see.
You can choose from a wide range of courses in our three faculties of:
- Arts and Social Sciences;
- Business; and
- Science, Health and Education.
Many courses offer insights into Australian society within a global context, from historical, political, environmental, geographic, business, scientific, social and literary perspectives.
Areas of study include but are not limited to the following:
- Biosciences, Communication, Creative Writing, Design, Education,
- Environmental Science, International Business, International Relations,
- Journalism, Management, Marketing, Health Sciences, Health Promotion, Public Relations
- Sport and Exercise Science, Sport Management and Tourism.
Bachelors Degree (Undergraduate)
Included in the USD 9,145 estimate are 2010 study abroad tuition at USC for one semester, Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for students requiring it for their student visa, science lab fees, superior resort-style accommodation next to campus for one semester, round trip airport pickup. The USD amount was calculated on an exchange rate of 1 AUD - 0.80 USD, the rate in effect as of June 10, 2009. The rate of exchange fluctuates daily. The costs listed are subject to change and are estimated based on the best information available today.
Food allowance, daily living expenses, flights and student visa are not included.
Independently or in Groups
10 business days once all materials are received
To be the major catalyst for the innovative and sustainable economic, cultural and educational advancement of the region, through the pursuit of international standards in teaching, research and engagement. We are committed to providing a positive environment that fosters the growth and learning of each and every person.