The University of Minnesota Header Image The University of Minnesota Header Image

Study Abroad in Montpellier, France

COME TO MONTPELLIER

This program takes excellent care of its students. The UMN staff works hard to match each student with an academic program that suits his or her needs. They are endlessly patient and helpful, which is a very good thing because the university system in France is not easily navigated. This program is very flexible and allows you to create your own study abroad is experience, but it offers support when you need it. Montpellier itself is a beautiful, lively city with a huge student population and incredible Mediterranean weather. I would absolutely recommend this program to anyone interested in an abroad experience in the south of France.

Awesome Program

Many bars have weekly trivia (questions are asked in French and English) and it is a really fun thing to do at night, just grab a group of friends!

I chose this program because I wanted to be able to go somewhere where English wasn't as prominent so I could really practice my French skills.

I lived in a homestay in the middle of town and it was wonderful!

Awesome Program

Montpellier is a great city to immerse yourself in the French culture. Unlike in Paris, if you speak to someone French in French, you will get French back and not English which is great. This is a really young and vibrant community so it was great to come and just hang out with all of the young people here.

Better than I expected

I have never been to another country before and France is not what I would have expected. The university is great and the dorms are better than I expected. Montpellier is a great city but some things aren't as nice as I originally thought. I did have some culture shock here, but it only took me about a week to get used to things. I would definitely suggest this program through the University of Minnesota because all the staff is helpful and the IEFE program plans tons of fun activities all week, every week!

My living situation (host family) and cultural...

My living situation (host family) and cultural experience (aided in great part by ease of travel) was far superior to the academic quality of the program. Nevertheless, you get out of it what you put into it. The academics weren't that great but you can get a lot out of the cultural experience.