The Tandana Foundation Header Image The Tandana Foundation Header Image

ESL Teaching Internship in Ecuador

English Teaching in Rural Ecuador

I've spent 8 months teaching in rural communities in Ecuador with the Tandana Foundation and it is one of the best decisions I've ever made. Just out of college, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I decided to try teaching English and it was a wonderful experience. Through the Tandana Foundation, I was placed in a host family, set up at two different schools to teach English and was given the freedom to try to set up other programs, such as an adult ESL classes and tutoring sessions for local students. Living in the community gave me a chance to really get to know the area as well as the kids I was teaching. Everyone was extremely welcoming and accepting. I also got the chance to branch out and try new things. Tandana hosts volunteer groups from the States and I got to work with those groups in my free time. Some of the groups taught in the schools. Others were completely unrelated, like healthcare groups and groups doing construction projects, which allowed me to improve my translation skills and learn about new areas. All the jobs kept me busy, but there was still plenty of free time to explore the area, hike the volcanos, explore other parts of Ecuador, and to simply spend time with the other interns. All in all, it was a wonderful experience that I highly recommend.