The School of Teaching ESL Header Image The School of Teaching ESL Header Image

School of Teaching ESL (Seattle) - TESOL/TEFL Certificate

ESL teaching--a group experience

There were many aspects of our spring intensive TESOL class that made it different and better from other classes I have taken. One aspect I most appreciated was how Denny, our instructor, worked to have us form supportive interpersonal relationships among class members, serving as an example for how we might do this with our own students. Every day he changed who we were sitting next to. He had us write illustrated biographies of each other, and these were assembled to make a booklet for each of us about our classmates. He had us work in groups, each time changing who worked with whom. He had students of varying abilities and experience in each group, so that we could help each other. When we designed lessons, we made copies for everyone in the class so we all left with sets of ready-to-use lesson plans. We each demonstrated teaching, with our classmates as our students. This was a powerful way to teach us how to build helpful, supportive relationships among students in a classroom, and our group photo taken on the last day of class is one that I treasure.

Fantastic

After teaching two years in Korea, I attended S-TESL in 1995. Immediately following completion I returned to Korea and taught in a variety of institutions (public school and university) until I returned home in 2000. The S-TESL programs are well grounded in reality and provide the tools necessary to succeed as a teacher in challenging, new positions.

• Academic Support

How many ways can you say, "I love S-TESL?"

I really feel as if I owe my professional success to S-TESL. I find myself saying something like this to colleagues over and over again. And I can't think of a week that goes by that I don't at least once stop and think, "Boy, am I glad I learned this at S-TESL!" I seem to be so much better trained in actual method and practice than my colleagues who attended elsewhere. And each time one of them asks me, "Where did you learn that?!" I'm always happy and grateful to say, "I learned it when I attended S-TESL in Seattle. I learned a ton from that program!"

Dip your toes into TESOL

I did the 4 week intensive to receive my TESOL certificate after my undergraduate degree and was very pleased with the experience! I went off to work for about 2 years and then decided to head back to complete my TESOL masters at another university. S-TESL inspired me to further my studies in English Language Education and has always continued to support my professional development using the S-TESL alumni network!