The School for Field Studies Header Image The School for Field Studies Header Image

Tropical Rainforest Studies in Australia

Immerse Yourself in the Rainforest

The School for Field Studies is a field based program focused on hands-on academics. The Tropical Rainforest program puts you smack-dab in the middle of the rainforest, where you live, work, and play. It was the most incredible experience! I feel so connected to my little piece of the rainforest and I met the most amazing people. Everyone there loved the outdoors and appreciated all of the little things. Living in cabins just made me appreciate civilization all the more and daily walks to class allowed me to see aspects of life that most people never get a chance to experience. Class was interesting but not too demanding and we were always out in the field exploring!

Intense, Fun, Different, Wild, Unforgettable

My most memorable experience was when I was camping in the Serengeti for a week. We all hadn't showered in days (there was no shower at our campsite), we were exhausted from the long days and the nights filled with lions roaring in the distance. Although tired, I was always energized when I woke up each morning thinking, "Wow, I'm camping in the Serengeti!" It's amazing to think that a place you had only seen on Animal Planet would suddenly be your home for a week, and that the animals that you thought you would never see outside a zoo would suddenly be all around you. Zebras were as common as deer are in New England, USA. We would have to carefully watch our food or baboons and vervet monkeys would sneak over and steal it, even out of your hands! My whole semester was full of memorable experiences, but camping in the Serengeti was by far the most "wow" moment that I have had on any of my travels.

I chose my program because it was in a non-traditional location and because it had a wildlife focus (I majored in Wildlife and Fisheries Biology). I also was interested in the field studies aspect of the program, as I have experienced how important it is, particularly in wildlife biology, to get hands-on experience out in the world, in the wild, in the field. Although I sometimes wish I could have studied abroad again and focused more on my French language skills, this experience was a milestone for me in discovering who I am in the world and who I'd like to be.