The School for Field Studies Header Image The School for Field Studies Header Image

Techniques for Wildlife Research in Tanzania

Tanzanian Summer

My favorite experience of this program was the week-long camping trip done in Serengeti National Park near the end of my stay in Tanzania. During this trip, students were given the opportunity to continue wildlife research, hear prominent wildlife management speakers that work on programs in Serengeti and observe all the wildlife that the African savanna has to offer.

I picked this program because I was looking for a study abroad experience outside of the "norm". I knew that I wanted to pick an intensive program in a unique destination that I probably wouldn't have the chance to travel to until later years of my life. This program also combined my love for environmentalism and international conservation issues at the core of many of our studies.

When living in Karatu, we had our own fenced community that was protected by guards. Each student shared a living space with 3 other people - this included showers and bathroom spaces. We had communal eating and studying areas, in addition to a computer lab and library. The camp also had full Wifi access. Our accommodations in Tanzania by far exceeded my expectations and were pretty nice for life in rural Tanzania.

A Summer in Tanzania

I attended the SFS Summer Session II in Karatu, Tanzania and would recommend this program to anyone. If you are looking for a unique study abroad program that allows you to gain real world experiences with African wildlife, Tanzanian culture and live in the bush then this is the program for you. This program really focused on environmental and conservation issues that relate to wildlife management in Tanzania. You will have the opportunity to travel and study in many famous Tanzania national parks during your study abroad program. It is an opportunity of a lifetime!