Naropa University Header Image Naropa University Header Image

Study Abroad in Bhutan with Naropa University

journey of a lifetime

Deciding to study abroad in Bhutan was one of the best decisions I may have ever made. I miss it every day and had the most incredible experience thanks to the amazing community and family I was welcomed into with open arms, the support and guidance of Naropa's Anne Parker, the beautiful Himalayas, cultural richness, and time. I could go on for a long time about the amazing journey that was this trip, the ups and downs, and the growth within myself I didn't know possible. I learned so much and by the end of the immersion, didn't want to leave. It was a challenging program, I would be lying if I said every day was magical and easy with culture shock, homesickness, and other emotions that come along with diving into something unknown, but the challenges are part of what made it so worthwhile in the end. And along with the challenges came many moments of amazement, excitement, and absolute love for everything Bhutan. I highly recommend this program for anyone interested, it's so unique and so incredibly amazing.

A Treasure!

If you are looking for an extremely unique opportunity to grow, this is it. Subtle hints of the British school system, patriarchy and sexism, and still the Bhutanese will somehow find a way to steal your heart. The internet is slow, when it works. The water sometimes goes off for days at a time, and there is never any hot water. I only saw a few televisions the entire trip. There was a nunnery above my hostile that made for a beautiful morning hike. The weather was warm on my campus and the students were incredibly welcoming. Studying GNH within the country gave me the ability to see both the benefits and the flaws to this wonderful concept. Coming from a first world country, the challenges of a third world country opened my eyes to my immense privilege. This journey shook me to my core and warmed my heart. Being surrounded by Buddhism pointed out the holes in my belief system and challenged me to fill them. I couldn't have done this without the tremendous support of the Naropa community and the wonderful Bhutanese friends I made. This program gave me the chance to actually slow down and be present. What a gift!

An Awesome Experience

I was part of the pilot trip for this study abroad program and it was an incredible experience. As to be expected with any pilot program, there were some minor hiccups, but I have faith that everything will be ironed out by the next year. Even being the pilot year for the program, it was an unforgettable and amazing experience. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to be put out of their comfort zone and live in complete immersion in Bhutanese culture.