The Little Rose Centre, founded in 1997, is a non-profit organization based in Kliptown, one of the poorest communities in Soweto/ Johannesburg. Today, ten developmental programmes are run by committed volunteers of the Community to care for the needs of the youth and adult members of Kliptown.
1. Little Rose Creche (pre-school drop-off centre)
2. Shelter for vulnerable & orphaned children (home for children aged 7 to 16)
3. After care (individual help with school work & creative cultural workshops)
4. Feeding scheme (for HIV/Aids affected community members, needy families)
5. Soup kitchen (for needy - one cooked meal every evening)
6. Vegetable garden (for unemployed women of the community)
7. Reading programme (library visits to experience the world of books)
8. Tourism (performance of songs and dances for tourists that visit the township with guided tours)
9. Educational workshops for adults (addressing practical topics & life strategies)
10. Teaching of computer skills (providing adolescents with basic to intermediate computer skills)
We have recently built a dormitory that has private rooms that volunteers may stay on-site. We have created relationships with volunteers from America, France, and Belgium. We are looking for open minded, proactive students that have an interest in learning from and interacting with marginalized communities.