Experience firsthand Central American culture while being immersed in the Spanish language of San Jose, Costa Rica. This is an opportunity for students who have limited travel experience to spend a summer surrounded by breathtaking beauty while gaining a well-balanced language education. The program offers a dynamic mix of language classes with weekly volunteer work, in which placements are typically at schools for underprivileged children or orphanages.
Language classes take place on the campus of a well respected high school in the community of San Pedro, on the outskirts of the capital city of San Jose. Classes are offered from Monday to Friday, in the afternoon, where students interact with a maximum of 8 students per class. Throughout the program, students will cover various aspects of Spanish language-learning, including: grammar, vocabulary, oral comprehension, and oral fluency.
1. San Jose was founded in 1737, has a pleasant mixture of traditional and modern Spanish architecture, and a population of over half a million
2. Opportunity to volunteer once a week at a local organization and meet new people
3. Warm and welcoming host families who will make you feel as if you are one of the family
4. Varied cultural activities that include dance classes, indigenous arts and crafts, and cooking lessons
5. Teachers are all fully qualified to teach Spanish as a second language and have many years of experience teaching young learners