The Intern Group participants The Intern Group participants

International Internships & Volunteer Programs in Colombia

The only thing you would regret is not having stayed long

I always wished to visit a Latin American country. Intern group Latin America gave this chance. I absolutely loved Medellin, Colombia is simply gorgeous and I would definitely come back and for that I am really thankful to the intergroup. The intern Group provided me with a nice placement in a really valuable company. I definitely think that this experience enhanced different skills of mine. This program was amazing, the organization from my landing to the day of my departure was flaw less. The trip to Guatape was simply breathtaking. Last but not least, I want to thank all the staff the staff they are really amazing they were really friend and helpful.

Top experience in another world

I did an internship for around 8 weeks in Medellin, Colombia and the only regret I have looking back at it, is that I did not stay longer. The journey started by the Intern Group placing me in a great apartment with 3 other interns as roommates. I felt welcome immediately as they had put together a great little welcome package, which even included things such as a cellphone with a colombian number, so that I would never get lost.

The internship I got placed in was at a Boutique Investment Bank. It was only a 5 minute walk from my apartment. I got to work in many different fields ranging from market research up to finding and actually contacting potential buyers.
I can definitely say that the internship provided me tools to prepare me for a future in such a competitive environment, as well as giving me insights to help me with my further studies.

What impressed me most however, was that the Intern Group did everything possible to ensure I had the best stay. They had activities planned almost every weekend as well as sometimes during the week, ensuring the interns never felt lonely.
During my stay I had the opportunity to visit ceveral cities in colombia whenever I was on holiday. The Intern Group was always readily available to advice me on some amazing places to visit and without a doubt I would recommend anyone to explore this beautiful country.
I cannot wait to come back one day!

You won't want to leave

I spent September - December of 2015 in Medellín and had an incredible experience. I did have a few medical issues while abroad but the ILA staff was very quick to get me the medical attention I deeded, as well as to follow up with me through out the week and the rest of my stay. I could not have asked for a more supportive team that did everything they could to make sure I was taken care of. My initial internship placement was not living up to my expectations so the ILA team was quick to both discuss the issues with my placement organization as well as offer me an opportunity to change my program all together. In the end I did choose to switch, but from the time of speaking up about my issues and being given an alternate placement was only a few days. I am very happy with how the situation was handled and I was able to have a unique and educational internship experience.

Having the opportunity to participate in ILA planned events, either day trips or watching a fútbol game, offered a unique perspective on Colombian culture. The information and details ILA was able to share with us allowed for better understanding of traditions and allowed us the opportunity to ask questions as we thought of them. While the interns became a family of their own, the ILA team were more than just a support system but also became friends we wanted to spend time with. Regardless of ages everyone found common ground and whenever we got together it was a lot of fun. The time really does go by so incredibly quickly and when it comes time to leave you really won't want to. Leaving Medellín and my new friends was really hard, and I can't wait until I can see them again. Colombia really does capture your heart, and I truly cannot wait until I can plan my return trip.

Personally, as someone who was adopted from Colombia and going back for the first time since I was a baby, the intern experience made getting to know my birth country a wonderful experience. They were able to open my eyes to the beauty and friendship Colombians have for one another as well as visitors. The people I met were so warm and welcoming, and very patient with those just learning Spanish. I would highly recommend participating in the program and begin your own adventure.

General Projects Engineer

This placement was one of the most valuable experiences of my life and will remain with me for the rest of time. I tasted heaven on earth. They say there is something about the beauty of that place - and i bare witness to that. I have carried the best and dearest memories of my life forward as a result of the organisation of the team and the natural beauty of the country. Colombia, and specially Medellin, has now become my number 1 place to revisit. Everything fell into place for me when i was there, from the workplace to my Colombian home. The timing of everything was perfect, and helped me find myself and brought me new, profound, invaluable comfort. I can't wait to go back... I feel like i must.

Living in Colombia

I absolutely LOVED living in Medellin, Colombia. I could not have gone through a better program either. The Intern Latin America group is the best. The women in this office literally put their hearts and souls into their work and it shows. They made sure we were always safe, had great recommendations of where to go (for food and entertainment), and planned fun activities for us.

I highly recommend this program for any first time international solo travel. You won't regret it!

Una pasantía, una exeriencia de vida

Mi pasantía con Intern Latin America fue una experiencia maravillosa. Tuve la oportunidad de participar en el proyecto de mis sueños en la Gobernación de Antioquia, donde recibí un trato amable y profesional. El equipo ILA me apoyó durante todo el proceso, desde la primera entrevista hasta la finalización de mi proceso. Durante mi estadía en Colombia sabía que no estaba sola y que contaba con personas que me ayudarían en cualquier situación adversa. Me enamoré tanto de Colombia y de Medellin que ahora vivo acá y quiero trabajar por mejorarla cada día.

Hacer una pasantía en el exterior me permitió tener una visión más amplia de mi carrera y los ámbitos en los que me puedo desenvolver como profesional, además de convertirme en una persona con ventajas comparativas a la hora de postularme para un nuevo trabajo o una maestría. Recomiendo altamente este programa.

The Intern in Colombia

As an international student, the best gift I gave myself was travelling to Colombia for an internship. Interning in Colombia with The Intern Group was one of the best/crazy decision I have made in years now. Although I had some discouragement from several people not to go, plus the financial responsibility, it was worth every penny.They took care of my visa application, accommodation, and job search. With Intern group, it felt like I was a king coming home after few years away.
The work experience at Cryogas was exceptionally rewarding. I enjoyed being in an industrial/business environment while adapting to the culture and language challenge.The experience not only developed professionally but also increased my networks and cultural awareness. Massive thanks to The Intern Group for creating this opportunity for me as well as a lot of other students.
In summary, the weather, cultural events, and people were amazing. And for those who are still contemplating the decision, you have a "Chicharrón" and need to try "Bandeja paisa".

IT Intern in Investment Banking Sector

My experience with The Intern Group – Latin America was overwhelming positive. The internship placement matched my unique career goals quite well, combining elements of financial services and IT. I was not able to focus on some of my areas of interest, such as credit analysis, as much as I would have liked since a previous intern had completed a project on that topic and the needs of the company dictated that I focus on IT-related tasks. That said, my coworkers were very helpful in teaching me about the business and supportive of ideas I brought to the table. I learned a great deal about the industry, and I have seen in job interviews since my internship that employers are impressed by the international experience.

My time in Colombia far surpassed my expectations with regards to cultural immersion and excursions. Intern Latin America facilitated a number of social outings and encouraged interns to explore the country and take advantage of all it had to offer. There is so much to do so close by. Medellin will never bore you. In fact, I liked the city so much that I have already planned a return trip and am considering relocating permanently. Thank you, ILA, for the fantastic opportunity you have given me.

Full immersion in Colombia

In a nutshell - the best trip of my life.

I feel like this experience has fundamentally changed my outlook, and my future plans. I plan on living and working in Colombia as soon as I graduate! I cant believe the amount of opportunities there.

Wishing I was still there

My time in Medellín with ILA really was one of the best experiences of my life so far! I had an internship with the local city government for 10 weeks and was working with such lovely people that I was made to feel like part of a family in the office. Even colleagues from outside of my department would actively strike up conversation and treat me really well. My workplace was flexible and I was able to work with my boss in determining the type of work that best suited me while still having projects that challenged me to learn more.

The ILA staff were super friendly and helpful and definitely made the experience that much better. They were always there when I needed any help and really made an effort to involve us interns in social activities and experience what the city has to offer. Moving to a new city in another country can always be a little bit challenging but the staff ensured that it was as easy as possible so that I could focus on getting the most out of my experience.

My accommodation was really convenient as it was close to a metro station, which allowed me to better explore Medellín and get to work easily. As a city, Medellín has a fantastic night life with so many options close to where my accommodation was in Poblado. There's also a lot to see if you take the time to venture further out on weekends, both during the day and at night. The people that live in the city are some of the friendliest in the world so make sure to get to know some locals!

Interning in a local government's tourism office

From the beginning of the process and after my internship was finished, I felt extremely well looked after. The team were brilliant at helping me settle, showing me the ropes and really getting the most out of both my internship and my time in Colombia. They constantly liaise to ensure no questions go unanswered and honestly go out of their way to help. I fell in love with Colombia, due to the warmth of the people and the vibrancy of its culture.
For ten weeks, I was an intern in the tourism office of Sabaneta, a municipality of Medellin. My project was to write a blog for the municipality's website, describing my experiences as a foreigner visiting the area's tourist attractions. It was a little slow to get going while we set out what exactly I would be doing, but soon enough I had plenty to be getting on with. My colleagues were incredibly friendly and eager to help in any way they could, so much so that I was genuinely sad to say goodbye.
Through the combination of my internship and the guidance of the ILA team, I learnt a lot about Colombia. It really is a fascinating country and a great place to do an internship. I am so glad I took the leap because I made lasting friends who would open doors for me, I grew to love a country that I knew very little about and my internship served as a superb way to begin my stay in South America.

The Quick Review

I will keep this a short a possible. The experience was amazing! I really enjoyed my work placement and the people are all so friendly. It's very easy to meet people and a lot of events are organised by the intern group staff, so having fun is not hard.

Spanish Chemicals

Completing an Internship in Colombia was something I never could have dreamed of. The intern group matched me perfectly with a company from field. This company gave me hands on tasks and intellectually stimulating projects that required the knowledge of my studies. Before moving to Colombia, my spanish was terrible! I was unable to attend the university Spanish classes as my work wanted me there for full days, so the Intern Group organised private tutoring for me 4 days a week!

Everything was well organised, and although I was along way from home felt very safe!

Socialatom Internship in Medellin, Colombia

My experience as an intern with this program was so incredible that I chose not to leave. During the last week of my internship I accepted an offer to work with my company, Socialatom Group, full-time. The city is very diverse in the sense that it has perfect weather, has a population of 4 million, and there are trees and small forest areas spread throughout the concrete jungle.

While the city has been good to me, I did not choose to stay in Medellin purely for the nightlife, the outdoor activities, the food etc. I stayed in Colombia because I absolutely loved my internship. Socialatom Group is an umbrella company that includes a venture capital fund, public relations firm, a recruiting platform, the largest tech and entrepreneurship publication in Latin America (PulsoSocial), and Coderise, a nonprofit that teaches computer programming to low-income high school students. During my short 2.5 month internship, I was able to work in each one of these fields and learn a little bit about everything. This was the most valuable part of my work experience here in Colombia because I was not completely sure what career path I wanted to take. I had trouble finding a passion. But, after never having the desire to pursue a career in finance or what I considered to be "basic business," I found out that my passion was investing in startups. It absolutely fascinates me because of all the amazing ideas and products people bring to our company on a daily basis. I never would have found this passion if it weren't for the Intern Group.

Work experience was wonderful, but I also can't complain about having an apartment in the nicest neighborhood in Medellin, El Poblado. Filled with bars, nightclubs, great restaurants, and a never ending list of things to do, Poblado really was the perfect place to be. Living with other interns working in a plethora of different fields also gave me a constantly changing perspective on how to think differently while allowing me to take a new approach to the working world on a daily basis. Everyone I met in this program came to Colombia for the same reasons I did: a desire for work experience in an emerging market, increase Spanish proficiency, meet new people, and do something a bit outside the box. Often times students choose Europe as their destination to study or work abroad, but Latin America gives it's visitors a completely new experience that cannot be found in any other corner of the globe.

My experience in Medellin has been amazing and can't express my gratitude to both the Intern Group and Socialatom enough. This is a remarkable city that is constantly growing and improving and I'm glad I can be a part of this and to do everything I can to change the reputation of a city that has advanced drastically from the crime-filled city it used to be. I feel safe and secure here at all time and I plan to stay until Medellin is known as a world-class city. Thanks Intern Latin America - Colombia for the best internship I could have asked for that was the best life-changing experience of my life.

Simply Amazing!

Although the program overall is a bit pricey, if you find the funds to go it is well worth it. The intern group does a great job of placing you and they make sure you are fully amerced in your work to get the utmost work experience. The city is wonderful, they do tours, trip and events that are great. This trip will make so many memories you wont be able to tell which one is your favorite.

Medellin, La ciudad de la eterna primavera

This photo just sums it all up!
Nacional Cap,
Flag Wrapped around me,
Overlooking the beautiful Guatape

The girls at the inter group where amazing, and really showed the Colombian spirit. I would recommend Colombia to all of my friends, and continue to say what a beautiful and amazing time I had there

An incredible opportunity in a one of a kind city

Simply interning abroad has benefited me immensly; beneffiting my workplace skills, life experience, confidence or simply gaining a unique addition to my CV. This program in particular however, is a must do with a well organised group of friendly staff at every step of the way offering a wealth of Intern positions across numerous sectors and a series of cultural excurisions that go above and beyond what you might expect. Medellin itself is a unique city currently experiencing strong growth and regeneration - it was voted the most innovative city in the world in 2012 - making Interning here now all the more unique of an experience.

Overall a well run Internship program with plenty of exeprience to gain in a great city, I would definetly recommend applying here to Intern abroad

Gobiernacion de Antioquia - Secretaria de Equidad de genero

My Internship could have been more organised, but saying that, I gained experienced and knowledge that has helped me not only know what exactly I want to do with my life, but also with my career prospects in general. Meeting people from all different backgrounds in a completely new environment, has made me grow while adapting to different cultures, way of working etc.